Jets end of 2023-24 season media availability

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
I get what Helle is trying to say, but man, his execution is brutal (Insert playoff Helle joke here) 😆.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Same every year - everyone talks about team first and needing to play the system... Scheifele talks about how he as an individual can train harder...

Reactions: hn777

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Same every year - everyone talks about team first and needing to play the system... Scheifele talks about how he as an individual can train harder...
helle pretty much called out the coaching but of course you some how single out scheifele every single chance you get... and scheifele mentioned how everyone needs to figure out what they can improve on and get better.. I don't see how anyone can actually be mad about that comment

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
helle pretty much called out the coaching but of course you some how single out scheifele every single chance you get...
Helle talked himself into a hole and then out... he still talked about the team needing to be better

I didn't call out Scheif for the first half of the season when he was playing 200' hockey - but we basically need a coach that will play the style Scheif wants - because he doesn't listen to coaches

Not my fault that the only guy not to talk about the team is Scheif.

Reactions: hn777

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Helle talked himself into a hole and then out... he still talked about the team needing to be better

I didn't call out Scheif for the first half of the season when he was playing 200' hockey - but we basically need a coach that will play the style Scheif wants - because he doesn't listen to coaches

Not my fault that the only guy not to talk about the team is Scheif.
you may want to listen to the interview again...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I like the fact that some (not all but some) blamed it on compete level and that next gear they need to find come PO time.
The captain seems to get it

The leadership group seems to get it which will hopefully lead to it being conveyed to everyone else.

Other tidbits so far:

-If DeMelo gets a fair offer I see him staying
-Ehlers was very non commital and just further leads me to believe he won't stay.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
55 had a lot to say about what players need to do to get better, improve their game
But had nothing to say about ramping up, urgency, compete, or that next level - like most of the others did.
I don't get his comments at all - this isn't about being 10% better hockey players - it's about ramping up your effort (like the Aves did for example) rather than skills learned over the summer, or what you eat, etc -
It's as though he feels nutrition and working out is the missing pce - although he did mention that he does all those things - lol.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
55 had a lot to say about what players need to do to get better, improve their game
But had nothing to say about ramping up, urgency, compete, or that next level - like most of the others did.
I don't get his comments at all - this isn't about being 10% better hockey players - it's about ramping up your effort (like the Aves did for example) rather than skills learned over the summer, or what you eat, etc -
It's as though he feels nutrition and working out is the missing pce - although he did mention that he does all those things - lol.

Lol, I guess he seems to think if he puts himself in the best physical shape he can be thr rest will take care of itself.

I think his issue is he's overplayed throughout the season and losses focus think the d game the back half of the year. Give him a couple minutes less a game and I think we see a much more engaged Marknin the playoffs.

Deployment and usage is something this org needs to figure out thus summer.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Ehlers technically can't indulge to much right? Since he's still under contract for another year, and not eligible for extension until July 1.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Hellebuyck's pressers are gold. He never criticizes himself, which is sometimes annoying and many will see as complete denial, but I think its precisely that mental toughness which has translated into 4 Vezina nominations. He's carried this team for YEARS. And so when he is asked if he needed to make more saves, he points to the fact that the entire team switched up on him from defensive juggernaut to the orchestra on the Titanic. .And then he points to 10 goals that were scored the exact same way in the series and the team made no adjustments. He's 100% right.

To win, we needed him to be Patrick Roy in '93. And thats asking WAY too much.

As for the rest, I really like our leadership group. Lowry, Morrissey, Connor, Hellebuyck and to a lesser extent Scheifele (his comments on offseason training could be read as a criticism to the guys who arent doing it, which is probably correct).

Sounds like Demelo is 100% re-signing, so long as we don't cheap out in negotiations. Monahan very open to staying. This sounds like Ehlers last season as a Jet unless something changes. Toffoli can't wait to GTFO of dodge, which is perfectly fine with me.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Hellebuyck's pressers are gold. He never criticizes himself, which is sometimes annoying and many will see as complete denial, but I think its precisely that mental toughness which has translated into 4 Vezina nominations. He's carried this team for YEARS. And so when he is asked if he needed to make more saves, he points to the fact that the entire team switched up on him from defensive juggernaut to the orchestra on the Titanic. .And then he points to 10 goals that were scored the exact same way in the series and the team made no adjustments. He's 100% right.

To win, we needed him to be Patrick Roy in '93. And thats asking WAY too much.

As for the rest, I really like our leadership group. Lowry, Morrissey, Connor, Hellebuyck and to a lesser extent Scheifele (his comments on offseason training could be read as a criticism to the guys who arent doing it, which is probably correct).

Sounds like Demelo is 100% re-signing, so long as we don't cheap out in negotiations. Monahan very open to staying. This sounds like Ehlers last season as a Jet unless something changes. Toffoli can't wait to GTFO of dodge, which is perfectly fine with me.

Just further makes me wonder how much due diligence is done at the deadlines. Toffoli clearly didn't want to be here and his indifferent play showed that. Why even bring him in to begin with.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
The leadership group seems to get it which will hopefully lead to it being conveyed to everyone else.

Other tidbits so far:

-If DeMelo gets a fair offer I see him staying
-Ehlers was very non commital and just further leads me to believe he won't stay.
Ehlers also has another year, so maybe he really hasn't thought a ton about it. The way he speaks always comes across as somewhat 'pissy', though, so who knows. :laugh:

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com

1) Not getting to their best in the playoffs.
2) Growth in Connor Hellebuyck's comments from earlier today (1:51)
3) If intensity isn't high enough, what kind of changes do they need to make? (3:44)
4) Can this same group get to the right intensity level? (4:38)
5) What's his future look like? (4:45)
6) Does he believe this team is built to be a playoff team? (5:07)
7) What would he do to prepare them better for playoffs? (6:01)
8) How tough was this year for him personally? (6:48)
9) Will he review his methods of doing things in off season? (7:34)
10) How much pride does he take in where this team is today? (9:34)
11) Is there a different tone from players this exit from last year? (10:38)
12) Detailing injuries guys were dealing with (11:44)
13) How do you ensure guys learn from this to not miss next opportunity? (13:18)
14) When would we see the impact of this experience? (14:40)
15) Do they need a change in composition? (16:50)
16) How does he assess how Connor Hellebuyck played? (18:16)
17) The need for the team to "question everything". (19:25)

Last edited:

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
To simply. Schiefele went with what he's doing next, Train hard, get better. Others went with we need to give it 110%. It's all hockey trope. None of it means anything. Other than Hellebuyck. He was pretty direct and specific of what he saw.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: