Trade deadline: Buyers or sellers?

What should the Flames do at this year's Trade Deadline?

• Buyers - add players to the current roster.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Sellers - trade players from the current roster for futures.

Votes: 41 67.2%
  • Stand Pat - do nothing, hope everything works out

Votes: 13 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Friedman says teams might be inquiring on our 2024 UFAs. Still teams out there with assets - Dallas, Carolina…….time to get some extra 2023/2024 picks and hit a reset button. We can add Zary and Coronato along with a top UFA up front next year. Let’s see what guys like Toffoli and Backlund could get us this week.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
The details of the trade say later pick If it’s top 10. Quite often people get confused between lower pick meaning lower number which of course is the better pick or lower pick meaning later in the draft order. I’ve read the details right from the source and the only way Montreal can get a top 2 pick from the Flames is if we have 1st and 2nd overall picks in 2026 and we would pick 1st OV. Montreal would get the higher of our two picks in 2025 only if they are both later than 10th OV. So example if we get 12 OV and 22 OV then they would get 12. But if we get 3rd OV and 12 OV they get 12. I think Tre learned his lesson from the Hamonic trade. He did not put conditions on the pick so if we had won the draft lottery Isles got to keep it.
Montreal can literally get the 2nd overall in 2025 if both Florida and Calgary's pick are in the top 10, and Floridas pick is top 10 protected so it becomes a 26 pick, Montreal gets ours. Our pick is only first oa protected

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
This GM has f***ed this team for a while, we are “forced” to compete and not sell.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Wow the eastern conference is a blood bath, why did this team have to shit the bed so bad

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Montreal can literally get the 2nd overall in 2025 if both Florida and Calgary's pick are in the top 10, and Floridas pick is top 10 protected so it becomes a 26 pick, Montreal gets ours. Our pick is only first oa protected
No they can’t. Your wrong. I would know ive seen the details. The pick gets pushed to 2026 if it’s top 10. If the Flames pick in the top 10 Montreal gets the pick in 2026 as well. Protections on picks are included in trades to avoid giving up top picks in the draft. There’s a reason this trade has so many different protections on it. And those protections benefit the Flames. If the Flames are in the playoffs next year Montreal will take the 2024 pick. Teams don’t generally like to kick the can down the road when it comes to draft picks. There’s no guarantee on picks until after the draft lottery. And there’s no guarantee that GM will be making the pick if they choose to defer it.

Last edited:

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
No they can’t. Your wrong. I would know ive seen the details. The pick gets pushed to 2026 if it’s top 10. If the Flames pick in the top 10 Montreal gets the pick in 2026 as well. Protections on picks are included in trades to avoid giving up top picks in the draft. There’s a reason this trade has so many different protections on it. And those protections benefit the Flames. If the Flames are in the playoffs next year Montreal will take the 2024 pick. Teams don’t generally like to kick the can down the road when it comes to draft picks. There’s no guarantee on picks until after the draft lottery. And there’s no guarantee that GM will be making the pick if they choose to defer it.
We have all seen the trade details, show me where you are seeing yours, all I see is a 1st oa protection in 2025. Canadiens acquire Sean Monahan from Flames. this is from the habs officially press release, show me where the pick is 2-10 protected in 2025

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
We have all seen the trade details, show me where you are seeing yours, all I see is a 1st oa protection in 2025. Canadiens acquire Sean Monahan from Flames. this is from the habs officially press release, show me where the pick is 2-10 protected in 2025

Scenario: In the event CGY receives FLA’s 2025 1st round pick:
1. If both CGY AND FLA’s picks are NOT top 10, MTL will receive the better of the CGY and FLA 2025 1st round picks. Result: TBD

2. If CGY’s pick is top 10, AND FLA’s pick is NOT top 10, MTL receives FLA’s pick. Result: TBD

Scenario: In the event CGY does NOT receive FLA’s 1st round pick:

Sub-scenario: CGY’s pick is NOT top 10
1. MTL will receive the CGY pick, and
2. If FLA’s pick is not top 10, is a better pick than CGY’s, and was transferred to another team due to prior conditions, MTL will also receive CGY’s 2025 4th round pick.
Result: TBD

Sub-scenario: CGY’s pick is top 10:
1. If CGY’s pick is 1st overall, MTL will receive CGY’s 2025 3rd, and the better of CGY and FLA’s 2026 1st round pick. Result: TBD
2. If CGY’s pick is 2nd to 10th, MTL receives CGY’s 2025 1st round pick. Result: TBD

Calgary has no protection on pick 2-10 from MTL in 2025. To be fair, that's 3 drafts from now and I honestly don't care enough.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
1. If both CGY AND FLA’s picks are NOT top 10, MTL will receive the better of the CGY and FLA 2025 1st round picks. Result: TBD

2. If CGY’s pick is top 10, AND FLA’s pick is NOT top 10, MTL receives FLA’s pick. Result: TBD

2. If FLA’s pick is not top 10, is a better pick than CGY’s, and was transferred to another team due to prior conditions, MTL will also receive CGY’s 2025 4th round pick.

1. If CGY’s pick is 1st overall, MTL will receive CGY’s 2025 3rd, and the better of CGY and FLA’s 2026 1st round pick. Result: TBD
2. If CGY’s pick is 2nd to 10th, MTL receives CGY’s 2025 1st round pick. Result: TBD

Calgary has no protection on pick 2-10 from MTL in 2025. To be fair, that's 3 drafts from now and I honestly don't care enough.
So the dudes just wrong then lmao. Pretty much non of the conditions favors us, other than maybe 1st oa protection and the guys trying to make it sound like Tre got all the protections in the world. I know it's far off from now, but I'm actually really worried about that pick because I think Calgary and Florida could very well be drafting in the top 10 by then.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Also the answer here should be that Calgary should sell at this point. The team hasn't come together as expected, the goaltending this year has fallen apart, scoring seems too hard to come by, and the team is playing a boring brand of hockey that isn't equating into any kind consistency (as boring hockey normally does).

The problem is this team will look at the OT record and say that doesn't exist in the playoffs, and that OT is just a coin flip anyway. They're 5-12 in OT/SO, if that was .500 they'd be 8-9 or 9-8; which would put them comfortably in second place in the Pacific.

As much as some of you guys are praying for it, expect them to stay the course, maybe even spend minor assets and come back with more or less the same team in 2023-24 under the guise of a 'full year together'.

So the dudes just wrong then lmao. Pretty much non of the conditions favors us, other than maybe 1st oa protection and the guys trying to make it sound like Tre got all the protections in the world. I know it's far off from now, but I'm actually really worried about that pick because I think Calgary and Florida could very well be drafting in the top 10 by then.

It happens.
It happened to Ottawa and everyone as laughing at them... and then no one cares or remembers anyway.

I don't think this team will be drafting 1-10 in a few years anyway. And if they are it'll crater this club, which could be needed anyway.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Also the answer here should be that Calgary should sell at this point. The team hasn't come together as expected, the goaltending this year has fallen apart, scoring seems too hard to come by, and the team is playing a boring brand of hockey that isn't equating into any kind consistency (as boring hockey normally does).

The problem is this team will look at the OT record and say that doesn't exist in the playoffs, and that OT is just a coin flip anyway. They're 5-12 in OT/SO, if that was .500 they'd be 8-9 or 9-8; which would put them comfortably in second place in the Pacific.

As much as some of you guys are praying for it, expect them to stay the course, maybe even spend minor assets and come back with more or less the same team in 2023-24 under the guise of a 'full year together'.

It happens.
It happened to Ottawa and everyone as laughing at them... and then no one cares or remembers anyway.

I don't think this team will be drafting 1-10 in a few years anyway. And if they are it'll crater this club, which could be needed anyway.
I think 2025 will be that year where we can drop off quite a bit, with everyone older and hanifin toffoli tanev Lindholm hitting ufa. Ottawa also got lucky and robbed SJ later so there's that as well. Ppl still shit on SJ for that lol

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005

Treliving incompetence will continue to live on in 2025

SlovakFlame

Nov 14, 2022
What are facts?
- there is a small chance of getting to PO
- if we reach PO, we will be huge outsiders
- this year´s draft class is very good, there will be very talented players in the whole 1st round
- we have too many UFA next year; the price of them now is better than it will be next year

Therefore I would sell for picks or talented prospects. The only player from future UFA´s I would like to keep is Elias and I would try to sign him for the next period - but that will not be easy according to his quality and demands. If we want to be able to do that, I would trade him in the summer.
And of course - it is time for Darryl to go.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I can't believe what the East has done in the last couple of days. Wow talk about loading up.
I hope Treliving has a couple of names out there. I think I want to get in on this multiple picks and prospects these teams are getting. Tanner Jeannot got 5 picks and a player. That's insanity.
Agreed.

The only winner in an arms race is the arms dealer. Float some of these guys names' on the market and see what they can get.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Agreed.

The only winner in an arms race is the arms dealer. Float some of these guys names' on the market and see what they can get.
There is only a couple of teams left that will push all in with these types of returns...Rangers, Bruins, Lightning, and Leafs have all pushed. It leaves the Canes, Avalanche, and Oilers

Reactions: Boomstick

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
There is only a couple of teams left that will push all in with these types of returns...Rangers, Bruins, Lightning, and Leafs have all pushed. It leaves the Canes, Avalanche, and Oilers

There are teams like Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Minny, LA, Vegas, Seattle and even Winnipeg that aren't top echelon; but many would definitely push the cards in further. For a team like Buffalo, going to the playoffs would be a big boost to the morale of that team. For a team like Pittsburgh, it's playoffs or bust. Vegas always buys... like there are clubs that need bodies.

You'd think that Calgary could really cash in on some of these deals if they want to go that direction. That said, I doubt we do anything but do some small adds around the edges to try and sneak in.

Reactions: Boomstick

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
There are teams like Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Minny, LA, Vegas, Seattle and even Winnipeg that aren't top echelon; but many would definitely push the cards in further. For a team like Buffalo, going to the playoffs would be a big boost to the morale of that team. For a team like Pittsburgh, it's playoffs or bust. Vegas always buys... like there are clubs that need bodies.

You'd think that Calgary could really cash in on some of these deals if they want to go that direction. That said, I doubt we do anything but do some small adds around the edges to try and sneak in.
yes but I am not sure that they will pay as much as those teams that consider themselves favorites.

now would be the time to cash in but I think the #1 thing on CSEC hockey ops mind is do they fire Treliving or not.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
We can’t sell right now, this means that Montreal gets a high pick.

For the next 3-5 years, we are stuck in no man’s land.

By the time we are ready to compete, the McDavid era in Edmonton will be over, so there is one positive.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Still believe the monahan trade was a disgrace. Looking more and more likely that is the case.
One year to ride out Mony's contract, and hell if he was healthy he would have been worth something at the trade deadline. But no, wizard had to give up a first and tie a massive anchor around this franchise's neck. It physically hurts just to think about it.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Can't sell because of the terrible Monny trade, I hated it right from the start. We could have just put him on LTIR.
We had everything lining up for a major rebuild with Johnny & Tkachuk lastyear and we could have moved a bunch now. A ton of picks in some strong draft years. Now we got nothing.
Call Wolf up and hope the team can respond

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
One year to ride out Mony's contract, and hell if he was healthy he would have been worth something at the trade deadline. But no, wizard had to give up a first and tie a massive anchor around this franchise's neck. It physically hurts just to think about it.
I can't believe this was the only flames forum remotely sane about it. Reddit and CP acted like this was a boon.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
BTW Tanner Jeannot is built for play off hockey

Lindholm and Hanifin have been passengers their whole pro careers and are known quantities as vanilla players that don't move the needle.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
I can't believe this was the only flames forum remotely sane about it. Reddit and CP acted like this was a boon.
Not to mention Kadri is everything they hated Bennett for (tunnel vision, doesn't use team mates, bad penalties,...). Career third liner turned 31, just got his Cup and retirement contract based on an outlier year. Who could have seen this coming?

Reactions: NinjaTurtle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad