Trade deadline: Buyers or sellers?

What should the Flames do at this year's Trade Deadline?

• Buyers - add players to the current roster.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Sellers - trade players from the current roster for futures.

Votes: 41 67.2%
  • Stand Pat - do nothing, hope everything works out

Votes: 13 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I only wish we could be more pro-active and be seeing several years into the future and where we want to go. I don't think we had much of a plan with even Gaudreau and Tkachuk here. I think we almost lucked out for the last 8/9 years. Proactive to me meant trading Brodie several years earlier while he was still considered an outside Norris contender; trading Monahan 2 or 3 years earlier as well, while he was perceived league-wide as a 1st line centre and perenial 30-40 goal guy. But in the end we got next to nothing for guys we could have traded for big return. IMO.

So I'm a seller but for a longer, 3-5 year plan (ie, mostly draft picks). I honestly think for their bloated contracts Mangi and Coleman should be on the table, and Hanafin for bigger picture reasons. I don't think anyone should be safe. Maybe the closest to that is Backlund.
This is bang on. Flames management has lacked courage for years. They don’t know the meaning of “re-set”. Move out some assets and move some in. A big part of the problem is Treliving’s trades of draft picks which resulted in very few capable prospects on ELCs to provide depth. And then valuable cap space used on veterans that never moved the chains for us - Brouwer, Hamonic, Neal, Lucic, etc.

Reactions: Tofveve

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Flames currently sit in 9th in west with 66 points in 59 games.

Nashville is 4 points behind with 3 games in hand

Colorado is 3 points ahead with 3 games in hand
Seattle is 4 points ahead with 1 game in hand

Minnesota is 4 points ahead with the same number of games played
Winnipeg is 5 points ahead with the same number of games played
Edmonton is 6 points ahead with the same number of games played
LA is 8 points ahead with one more game played

It's basically over.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Our next 6 games are brutal. Can see us falling out of the playoffs.

@ Colorado
VS Boston
VS Toronto (March 2nd, last game before trade deadline.)
VS Minnesota
@ Dallas
@ Minnesota back to back.

I think we'll know our fate soon, but this schedule runs until March 7th a few days after the deadline.
If we get 0 points in those first 3 games, it's over. If we get 6 points, well we're still alive and finally heading in the right direction. Up to the mopes to figure this out.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011

It's basically over.
Edmonton just dropped one in regulation to the worst team in the league so they are up 6 and we have one in hand heading into Colorado tonight . We have to focus on catching them and Seattle , the rest on that list doesn't matter as much , finishing 3rd or better in the division is the real goal , hey this is the time of year to heat up so lets see it boys , otherwise somebody ought to Tonya Harding Johnny Hockey and Chuckie the next time either one of those ingrates sets foot in Cowtown . All three teams took a huge hit in the standings this year .

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
All the garbage Treliving traded early picks for in the past and he isn’t in on Niederreiter for a 2024 2nd???? Physical 20 goal scorer signed for next year. We can adjust Cap space in off-season.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Edmonton just dropped one in regulation to the worst team in the league so they are up 6 and we have one in hand heading into Colorado tonight . We have to focus on catching them and Seattle , the rest on that list doesn't matter as much , finishing 3rd or better in the division is the real goal , hey this is the time of year to heat up so lets see it boys , otherwise somebody ought to Tonya Harding Johnny Hockey and Chuckie the next time either one of those ingrates sets foot in Cowtown . All three teams took a huge hit in the standings this year .

I wonder if they'd all do it over if they could. I think next year will really tell.

Johnny just missed a couple of games before today after putting together a pretty impressive iron-man streak. I wouldn't doubt from a player and team perspective he's had the most misgivings. When you consider lots of personal stuff like being separated from Mony and then early years of marriage still in a new city maybe all isn't roses as hoped.

I'm probably most surprised by Florida's standing as Chucky is still doing well in goals and points, one of the top players in the league.

I'm probably least surprised by our floundering albeit surprised by Huberdeau's whatever he is and even Kadri's whatever too lol. Final judgement isn't out just yet. Like I said next year will really be interesting to me.

Reactions: Boomstick

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
The problem at this stage in the season isn't targeting individual teams, the Flames could pass anyone one of the teams ahead of them, but with 3 point games it is so hard when you need to beat 3-4 teams. That is where the Flames are likely to fall short, they will beat one of Seattle, Minny or Nashville but I doubt they beat two of those three and so we get the best possible scenario of finishing 9th!

SilverKast

Jun 10, 2022

It's basically over.
So our traditional finish just outside of the playoffs with a draft pick that's middle of the pack. Should serve to keep us middle of the pack - same as always.

• Haha

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Sell my ass, for what? Giving Montreal high picks?
You should look at the conditions on that trade. it’s very top 10 protected. They can have our pick if it’s past 20 next year. Which means we keep both picks in 2025. Or Mtl will not be able to get the top 10 pick in 2025. We’re talking about the Flames 2024 1st, 2025, 2026 1st Fla 2025 or 2026 1st. There’s so many options for which pick goes to montreal. If the Flames are a playoff team next year I would expect Montreal to take the pick and then it doesnt become an issue. Why would they want to wait until potentially 2026. And you said picks? They only get 1 first round pick. Then it’s over. Not a trade I would have made because signing Kadri will be the next coming of James Neal, but it’s only 1 first round pick potentially 3 years from now or a late one next year.

Last edited:

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
You should look at the conditions on that trade. it’s very top 10 protected. They can have our pick if it’s past 20 next year. Which means we keep both picks in 2025. Or Mtl will not be able to get the top 10 pick in 2025. We’re talking about the Flames 2024 1st, 2025, 2026 1st Fla 2025 or 2026 1st. There’s so many options for which pick goes to montreal. If the Flames are a playoff team next year I would expect Montreal to take the pick and then it doesnt become an issue. Why would they want to wait until potentially 2026. And you said picks? They only get 1 first round pick. Then it’s over. Not a trade I would have made because signing Kadri will be the next coming of James Neal, but it’s only 1 first round pick potentially 3 years from now or a late one next year.
Why would Montreal take our pick next year given the state of this team? We can potentially lose toffoli Lindholm and hanifin by 2025, any gm with a brain is waiting to see where the picks can end up in 25/26. The pick is pretty much guaranteed to be in the top half by 25, selling rn doesn't help Calgary, it helps Montreal

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I just keep getting reminded over and over how many D-men Giordano made good to great: Brodie, Hamilton, Andersson (I'm sure others) . . . Wish we never left him unprotected. Guy still had many good years left; probably wouldn't have been injured since that was a Toronto thing. Sigh.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
All the garbage Treliving traded early picks for in the past and he isn’t in on Niederreiter for a 2024 2nd???? Physical 20 goal scorer signed for next year. We can adjust Cap space in off-season.
Adjusting the cap under pressure cost us a 1st to unload Monahan, this off-season won’t be any better

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Kind of tough in that most of our pieces are either too valuable to drop (Backlund/Lindholm/Tanev) or too expensive to drop (Kadri, Huberdeau, Lucic, Markstrom) but I could see a cutthroat GM pull off some wild ones like:

Offer top 10 protected 1st+Andersson+Hanifin+Markstrom for Erik Karlsson.

Sell Toffoli, Coleman, Lewis, Stone, Gilbert, Ritchie for whatever little we get. It's not much but I could see teams wanting to add those guys as depth.

Come back next season with this lineup:

Zadorov - Karlsson
Kylington - Weegar
Poirier - Tanev

Huberdeau - Ruzicka - Pelettier
Mangiapane - Backlund - Lindholm
Dube - Kadri - Phillips
X- Zary - Duer

First of all that blueline is miles ahead of the garbage we're icing this year - it's smarter, faster, more balanced.

And leave that last roster spot open for a prospect. It might even be whoever we draft this year.

Finally, I would look to trade Dube for a RHS RW with a killer onetimer. Toffoli wasn't that guy unfortunately, but it's what we need. Obviously Stamkos/Tage/Ovechkin caliber guys don't grow on trees but even a guy like Daniel Sprong might be the answer

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Kind of tough in that most of our pieces are either too valuable to drop (Backlund/Lindholm/Tanev) or too expensive to drop (Kadri, Huberdeau, Lucic, Markstrom) but I could see a cutthroat GM pull off some wild ones like:

Offer top 10 protected 1st+Andersson+Hanifin+Markstrom for Erik Karlsson.

Sell Toffoli, Coleman, Lewis, Stone, Gilbert, Ritchie for whatever little we get. It's not much but I could see teams wanting to add those guys as depth.

Come back next season with this lineup:

Zadorov - Karlsson
Kylington - Weegar
Poirier - Tanev

Huberdeau - Ruzicka - Pelettier
Mangiapane - Backlund - Lindholm
Dube - Kadri - Phillips
X- Zary - Duer

First of all that blueline is miles ahead of the garbage we're icing this year - it's smarter, faster, more balanced.

And leave that last roster spot open for a prospect. It might even be whoever we draft this year.

Finally, I would look to trade Dube for a RHS RW with a killer onetimer. Toffoli wasn't that guy unfortunately, but it's what we need. Obviously Stamkos/Tage/Ovechkin caliber guys don't grow on trees but even a guy like Daniel Sprong might be the answer

I agree with about everything here.

I like the idea of going after Karlsson at almost any price player-wise. But my bet he wants to go to a real contender, and probably somewhere warm or somewhere huge like NYR or LA. Just my opinion.

Next, mostly in agreement about the guys we should be selling off, though I don't think Stone is going anywhere and I might be one of the few that still likes him in a 5, 6 or 7 D spot for a few more years.

I don't like us playing Dube on the first line. He doesn't demonstrate refined skills of a top 2 line player on a good team though could slide up in pinches. I can see him as a 3rd line guy beside Backlund or Kadri like you have there.

But yeah, guys like Coleman and Mangi aren't true 2nd line guys anywhere but for a contender they can easily be looked to for depth scoring. Coleman has cup pedigree and is responsible all-around; Mangi can easily be sold as a skilled scoring threat who just put up 35 goals (will never come close to that again) and on a contender where legit first and second lines are getting checked he could still flirt with 20+ for awhile. Meanwhile we slot in our young guys in their spots and what, we lose 5 or 6 goals total if not gain more because the kids are more skilled? Plus we save money.

*edit - I also like Ruzicka on a first or second line. Why not the first? Guy clearly has good skill. Wonder if this could happen with this management/coaching group.

Last edited:

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Why would we make moves to make us worse while not improving our future or cap situation?

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Why would Montreal take our pick next year given the state of this team? We can potentially lose toffoli Lindholm and hanifin by 2025, any gm with a brain is waiting to see where the picks can end up in 25/26. The pick is pretty much guaranteed to be in the top half by 25, selling rn doesn't help Calgary, it helps Montreal
Then they get Floridas pick. That’s the point. We have 2 first round picks in 2025. Ours and Floridas. We get to keep the higher of the two picks we have in the first round unless they are both outside of the top 10. And if the pick ends up being 1 or 2 the pick Montreal gets is deferred.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
I wish our expiring contracts of next year were this year. We'd have some decent assets to move out.
But with our luck we'll be in a playoff position at this time next year and lose everyone to free agency without getting any picks or prospects back.

This year our expiring contracts are Lucic, Ritchie and Lewis. Can't see anyone being in demand for any of these 3 scrubs.

Next year different story.
Expiring contracts are Backlund, Lindholm, Toffoli, Dube, Hanifin and Tanev, Zadorov.
Dube is RFA, the rest UFA.

I say we pick up the phone and put these guys out there today.
This year has been a disaster with not much puck luck or chemistry on the ice.
We have some great pieces and we have some prospects, youth that can contribute next year.
And of the expiring contracts next year, Lindholm will want big money, Toffoli will probably be looking for term since he's been bounced around a few teams. Dube will probably want to double his salary. Hanifin is still young. Not sure what Tanev wants to do, he's been great since he's been here. Backlund has a ton of experience and has a great leadership pedigree.

I think we should make them all available today, but I'm not sure what their No Trade Clause's are. If we get an offer we can't refuse, we take it. If we get lousy offers you stand pat and wait until the off season or next year's trade deadline. No reason not to listen though.

Last edited:

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Then they get Floridas pick. That’s the point. We have 2 first round picks in 2025. Ours and Floridas. We get to keep the higher of the two picks we have in the first round unless they are both outside of the top 10. And if the pick ends up being 1 or 2 the pick Montreal gets is deferred.
Maybe we have different view of the pick transfers, I swear it says the lower pick

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Don't really get the hate on Kadri . Did anybody really expect him to match his career year last year ? if so then why wasn't he signed for 10.5 like Huby ? 7 is upper middle class in todays NHL which is really not that bad for a 30 goal 60 point guy , get him into the playoffs he will be a beast to play against , when the team is down a star or two he always steps up . Guys like that are making 8 these days so his deal for at least the next couple of years is fine and as the cap goes up his number will look better against the newer deals so he isn't the problem , 10.5 next year for a 45- 50 point 15 goal guy now thats a fking problem . Maybe if Naz didn't have to carry that guy all year his numbers might be up a but more eh ? maybe swap Huby off the line for Duehr now that Pelletier is finding some game , let him anchor another line for a while .

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
I have changed my mind. Trade them all.. Huberdeau, Markstrom, Kadri and Hanifin. Cheers

Don't really get the hate on Kadri . Did anybody really expect him to match his career year last year ? if so then why wasn't he signed for 10.5 like Huby ? 7 is upper middle class in todays NHL which is really not that bad for a 30 goal 60 point guy , get him into the playoffs he will be a beast to play against , when the team is down a star or two he always steps up . Guys like that are making 8 these days so his deal for at least the next couple of years is fine and as the cap goes up his number will look better against the newer deals so he isn't the problem , 10.5 next year for a 45- 50 point 15 goal guy now thats a fking problem . Maybe if Naz didn't have to carry that guy all year his numbers might be up a but more eh ? maybe swap Huby off the line for Duehr now that Pelletier is finding some game , let him anchor another line for a while .
Calm down mate. You should expect 100 pts from a 7 mil guy, confirming his narrative at the sign "I told you I am the daddy"...

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Maybe we have different view of the pick transfers, I swear it says the lower pick
The details of the trade say later pick If it’s top 10. Quite often people get confused between lower pick meaning lower number which of course is the better pick or lower pick meaning later in the draft order. I’ve read the details right from the source and the only way Montreal can get a top 2 pick from the Flames is if we have 1st and 2nd overall picks in 2026 and we would pick 1st OV. Montreal would get the higher of our two picks in 2025 only if they are both later than 10th OV. So example if we get 12 OV and 22 OV then they would get 12. But if we get 3rd OV and 12 OV they get 12. I think Tre learned his lesson from the Hamonic trade. He did not put conditions on the pick so if we had won the draft lottery Isles got to keep it.

Last edited:

MM917

Aug 18, 2022

I don't know if it is hate to point out he is overpaid for way too long and not playing well this year. It also doesn't help to say get him to the play-offs if his poor play is likely to help us miss those play-offs.

I never wanted him so not surprised by him not living up to the contract but any criticism he gets is warranted.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
I would wholeheartedly love to see us commit to a direction of future planning, but we all know that will never happen. We have a bunch of fans who's entire identity is disliking Edmonton first and foremost before focusing on their own team, so they would never allow themselves to support a full out tank and/or rebuild, which is genuinely sad - because toiling in mediocrity is the worst extreme of them all.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
At the prices being paid there is no way the Flames can acquire the missing top 6 scoring winger for this deadline. In fact at these prices they should think ahead and possibly see what Toffoli, Lindholm, Backlund, Dube, or even Mangiapane could return this deadline...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad