NHL Trade Deadline - April 12th at 3 PM. ET -TSN/ESPN+ 8 AM, NHLN 10 AM, ESPN2 2 PM, NESN+ 2:30 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 96824

Cause it’s not us.

We’ve used retention both to move guys and to acquire guys.
We won a cup with a team over the cap in LTIR, went back to the finals with a team using LTIR.
We built a “go for it” team based on deferring a large chunk of Iginla’s cap hit to the following year.
We placed David Krejci on LTIR and then used the money to acquire a forward knowing Krejci would be ready for playoffs if we made it.

I don’t recall many being upset about those things. Believe all teams operate under the same CBA too but I will work to confirm this.

member 96824

So based on Cap Friendly website, Boston can still bring in 4 players without having to trade 1 right?

Contracts: 46/50

That's how that works right?

Correct, and many NCAA FAs have already been gobbled up but I would imagine they keep at least one slot open for opportunities that may arise after the deadline.

Reactions: Greek_physique

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Cause it’s not us.

We won a cup with a team over the cap in LTIR, went back to the finals with a team using LTIR.
We built a “go for it” team based on deferring a large chunk of Iginla’s cap hit to the following year.
We placed David Krejci on LTIR and then used the money to acquire a forward knowing Krejci would be ready for forwards.

I don’t recall many being upset about those things. Believe all teams operate under the same CBA too but I will work to confirm this.
a CBA our owner had a massive influence on, no less

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Correct, and many NCAA FAs have already been gobbled up but I would imagine they keep at least one slot open for opportunities that may arise after the deadline.

That was my next question...we linked to any NCAA guys that could potentially get a look? Which impacts Trade Deadline Day

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

This kind of salary cap manipulation needs to be stopped. Tampa should not be allowed to get Savard, a top 4 for any other team in the league, for a quarter of his f***ing salary.

It is allowed now and a smart, active GM who is trying to get his team to repeat took advantage.

Sweeney last seen wondering around rinks in DesMoines looking for next sleeper pick to use on the number 1 draft pick he will protect at all costs.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

This kind of salary cap manipulation needs to be stopped. Tampa should not be allowed to get Savard, a top 4 for any other team in the league, for a quarter of his f***ing salary.

Oh, funny that Yzerman's former team helped him accomplish that.

I mean, it's all within the "rules", it's like any business... use the loophole until they are closed.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. (and yea, I think the systems all messed up still)

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Cause it’s not us.

We placed David Krejci on LTIR and then used the money to acquire a forward knowing Krejci would be ready for playoffs if we made it.

Great post. There may be a few posters that can learn a few things today

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I can promise you the D as always will not be the problem. It will be 8 forwards that should be playing as fourth liners on a contending team.

IMO I'd agree with you most nights, but against a Caps team that can score...I think it's gonna be painful.

I'm already iffy seeing Ahcan in....and now we have Clifton in top 4? Ugh

Kempfer is gonna play full 2mins on the PP.

Time to acquire another vet. Dman

Reactions: Gordoff

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Islander fans seem all but sure Hall will be on Long Island any moment now.

Is Kulikov a viable option on left side? Is he an upgrade over the kids here? I would assume so. He seems to play a safe shutdown/ two way style

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
He’s done nothing to fill the top six despite getting two of their top six wings this time last year?

Isn't saying Ritchie and Smith are 2nd line wingers being a little disingenuous? I mean it's kind of by default no? I mean Asplund and Tage Thompson are second line wingers for Buffalo, but I don;t consider them as such.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Oh, funny that Yzerman's former team helped him accomplish that.

I mean, it's all within the "rules", it's like any business... use the loophole until they are closed.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. (and yea, I think the systems all messed up still)

Yzerman is GM of Detroit. This is him helping his former team and getting a good return to do it.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Islander fans seem all but sure Hall will be on Long Island any moment now.

Is Kulikov a viable option on left side? Is he an upgrade over the kids here? I would assume so. He seems to play a safe shutdown/ two way style

Would play well with McAvoy, but Gryz and Carlo don't play well together. Kulikov and Carlo would be great defensively but you might not be getting clean breakouts all the time.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Cause it’s not us.

I really don't care either way, it's really within the rules. Just seems kinda silly doing these transactional gymnastics to legally circumvent a cap which the league insists it's trying to protect.

Whatever they do, a team will exploit it. It's a flawed system, which I don't know a better option to replace it, so it is what it is.

Like I said, I have no problem with any teams using it, just kinda laughable when the league cries cap circumvention on one thing but not another. They've punished teams for other things that "break the spirit of the salary cap" or some other wordage like that. Just amusing, that's all.

Reactions: Gordoff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad