Blue Jays Discussion: Trade deadline approaching - Will the Jays be buying? Answer: Yes they will. TULO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Have to remember pitching prospects are faaaar from a sure thing. Not long ago we thought Romero and Morrow would be our 1-2 for the next decade

The Lansing 3, only 1 of them has panned out. Hell, remember the Mets back in the 90's with Generation K... whoops.

Let's face it, you actually have to give up something of value to get something of value. I know, it's a shocking concept that not every GM will go full Beane and trade us an MVP caliber player with control for table scraps + promising question mark laden guy + Red Bull junkie.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Pompey with another multi-hit game. Now batting near .400 in his last 42 games.

Anyone think that he's going to be called up and Pillar+ dealt for pitching?

I think Pompey will be called up soon. The Jays clearly view him as their LF....I mean he's playing LF in Buffalo for that very reason.

Don't be shocked if EE is traded in the off season. The jays can clear his salary out and bring in a free agent SP.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
If we do add pitching, I hope it's for Chapman+Leake or Chapman and some #2 starter with some term left.

Just so our window stays open past this year.

It's tough to go all in for one year when you're 7 games back of the division. Give us a window of like ~3 more years.

Jays are set ,franchise 3rd baseman for another 3 more minimum after this year...likely long term deal upcoming ....

Tulo franchise shortstop.....6 more years

Need few more hands in the pitching dept ...and look out a lethal team .

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
We're getting a first back in the trade?

comp pick for a player who declines a qualifying offer and signs elsewhere. That's how we got the pick we had this year, when Cabrera left. We would have had 2 but we lost ours for signing Martin.

Pompey with another multi-hit game. Now batting near .400 in his last 42 games.

Anyone think that he's going to be called up and Pillar+ dealt for pitching?

we'd still have an outfield hole then though. Pompey can come up to left and keep Pillar.

No, can't trade picks in baseball (well, not regular picks. There are some picks that can be traded, but the specifics escape me at the moment). But we could end up with a FA that would require a 1st round compo pick if signed (can't think of who off the top of my head. Buehrle I guess?)

Buehrle was hashtagged so yes him

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
No, can't trade picks in baseball (well, not regular picks. There are some picks that can be traded, but the specifics escape me at the moment). But we could end up with a FA that would require a 1st round compo pick if signed (can't think of who off the top of my head. Buehrle I guess?)

Also players that are traded mid-season can't receive draft pick compensation if they walk.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I think Pompey will be called up soon. The Jays clearly view him as their LF....I mean he's playing LF in Buffalo for that very reason.

Don't be shocked if EE is traded in the off season. The jays can clear his salary out and bring in a free agent SP.

10/5 rights... So highly doubtful.

At the very worst he's qualified at the end of next year and the Jays walk away with a 1st rder

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado is terrible at developing pitchers and that ball park doesn't help matters. You have to be a special pitcher to mentally handle pitching in that park in half your starts.

SS is important because there just isn't many good ones that have the glove to stick there. Many SS prospects end up at 3B.

thank you very much.
is it because of the altitude? (colorado's park?)

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Little disappointed. Not like Tulo is a near perfect player, like Donaldson or someone. His contract isnt exactly good, or considerably better than Reyes'. It has the potential to be quite awful, and I wouldnt say its a long shot for it to turn quote awful either. Has had injury concerns, and coming to the turf probably wont help. He is an upgrade at short, so theres that. Surprised we had to give an elite level prospect for him. Was thinking Norris plus some guys like Urena and Boyd. It is what it is though.

91Kadri91*

I know.

Coincidence he was a non pitcher. Just trying to make a point.

Could have included Alford in that first list too. Guy went from maybe not playing baseball to top 50 prospect, and there are still many that don't know about him.

I agree with the premise of your original post; the Jays do have plenty of guys who could become notable prospects, but most organizations can make that claim (with varying degrees of volume/likelihood).

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
Hate to give up Hoff.. But Tulo is a stud. No more defensive gaffs like Reyes and a better bat with more pop.. much needed. Another deal for an arm.. and we're challenging for a title big time

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

I'd love to see him up. Tulo in the fold over Reyes negates any offensive drop-off from the Carerra/Colabello tandem to Pompey (and I can't believe I just wrote that) and the added D in the OF would be nice. Plus you can keep Carerra as the 4th OF, which I think is a much more suitable job for him. Though it would be hard to squeeze Colabello onto the bench without having to take out of the pen.

91Kadri91*

Little disappointed. Not like Tulo is a near perfect player, like Donaldson or someone. His contract isnt exactly good, or considerably better than Reyes'. It has the potential to be quite awful, and I wouldnt say its a long shot for it to turn quote awful either. Has had injury concerns, and coming to the turf probably wont help. He is an upgrade at short, so theres that. Surprised we had to give an elite level prospect for him. Was thinking Norris plus some guys like Urena and Boyd. It is what it is though.

He most certainly is, when he's healthy and playing to his capabilities.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario

You don't know Tulo.

Health aside, gave away an at best neutral asset in Reyes because of his contract, got the best offensive shortstop in baseball by a country mile and an above average defender for 5 years.

If Tulo has injuries or gets "old" his bat woild easily play at DH

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'm glad the Reyes-Jays era ended on a good note.

It never got to the point where it was unbearable and nasty.

We saw moments of where his career is going, but we never truly went down that road.

For that I am happy. I get to hang up my Reyes jersey with pride, and find a new jersey to don. Any suggestions?

Steamwhistle

Nov 10, 2014
Toronto
Just came home to this news now.

First thoughts, obviously, were about the pitching situation. But let's be honest here.. we just picked up TROY TULOWITZKI for gods sake. We still have a few days to pick up some pitching help but if you're complaining about picking up a guy like Tulo then you are out of your mind. We're in "win now" mode and trades like this are huge. Prospects are hard to predict in this league so I'm not disappointed with what we had to give up at all. Definitely excited to watch this offense go to work.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS

We saw moments of where his career is going, but we never truly went down that road.

For that I am happy. I get to hang up my Reyes jersey with pride, and find a new jersey to don. Any suggestions?

Tulowitzki seems like a safe pick :laugh:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Tulo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad