Blue Jays Discussion: Trade deadline approaching - Will the Jays be buying? Answer: Yes they will. TULO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebel111*

http://jaysjournal.com/2015/07/24/blue-jays-get-timely-dominant-performance-from-jeff-hoffman/

an article on Hoffman's outing last night. Looks like his curve was very good yesterday. good sign. that is the pitch that if he can harness it could truly set him apart

Something else interesting to the innings that I did listen to yesterday, he almost a lot of the time preferred to throw a 94MPH fastball, I believe he went over maybe only 1 time[96MPH]. Now I didn't listen to the entire start, but it was like this to what I listened to

mikebel111*

Do you guys do Chapman + Cueto for Pompey, Hoffman + their choice of position player prospect?

as long as that position prospect isn't Alford, and Cueto comes with an extension. I would think long and hard about that

though I prefer we keep Hoffman

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
The Jays aren't going to make a move and the fans (myself included) are all going to lose their minds. They will try to sell the idea of Saunders returning and Stroman coming back as their "deadline upgrades."

We've all seen this **** show before, AA has no money to work with.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Do you guys do Chapman + Cueto for Pompey, Hoffman + their choice of position player prospect?

Nope.

Leaves us without a LF next year(Saunders won't be qualified) and our best pitching prospect (who could help next year). Jays should keep the prospects that can help them contend again next year and future years.

Jays would have to sign Cueto for that deal to make sense.

I'd do a deal around three of the following for Cueto or two of them for Chapman

SRF
Castro
Pentecost
Boyd
Tellez
Urena
Labourt

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Nope.

Leaves us without a LF next year(Saunders won't be qualified) and our best pitching prospect (who could help next year). Jays should keep the prospects that can help them contend again next year and future years.

I'd do a deal around three of the following for Cueto or two of them for Chapman

SRF
Castro
Pentecost
Boyd
Tellez
Urena
Labourt

3 of those for a rental Cueto? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
The Jays aren't going to make a move and the fans (myself included) are all going to lose their minds. They will try to sell the idea of Saunders returning and Stroman coming back as their "deadline upgrades."

We've all seen this **** show before, AA has no money to work with.

I don't know....as much as I want to make the playoffs I think next year is where this team can legit contend with a few additions. Trading pieces that are two or three years away I can understand...but trading the prospects that can help next year would really put the wrenches in our chances next year.

If the Jays had the record of the Cards or Royals it would make sense to make a big splash.....but this team is only one game over .500 and there are no guarantees a trade pushes them into the playoffs.

You only have so many bullets in the chamber. sometimes those bullets end up back firing on you...cough Syndergaard cough.

Scion

May 25, 2012
Nope.

SRF
Castro
Pentecost
Boyd
Tellez
Urena
Labourt

Saunders won't be qualified based on what exactly?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
well that's the highest i'd go if that's the route that AA chooses. All of those guys listed have question marks and aren't sure thing major leaguers.

I want to keep all the prospects but I feel as long as we keep Hoff, Norris, Pompey, and Alford we can survive other loses.

They might all have question marks, but the most of them are top 10 prospects is a deep system. A rental with questions marks(people have been concerned if the Reds are hiding an injury) don't cost 3 of those quality prospects. I wouldn't give 2 of them for Cueto. 1 plus a lesser prospect maybe. And I'm make damn sure he was healthy or they're be no agreeing to any deal from my end.

also qualify Saunders? Don't they still have a year of control of what I assume is arbitration? I thought you only qualify guys who are about to be free agents to get a pick? Do you have to qualify arbitration guys a certain level(depending on their current salary) or they become free agents?

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Even if they dont qualify him they can pick of a LF with the same impact Pompey would have next year for pretty cheap.

Saunders won't be qualified because he has a history of getting injured and that knee on Rogers center playing surface is bad news. That's 3 million you can put somewhere else that needs attention like I dunno.....starting pitching.

Also like the flexibility with Pompey being a switch hitter. We need to keep cheap talent so we can go improve this rotation and be a force next season.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
There's no way Saunders isn't qualified for next season. He's cheap, has proven to be productive and despite the injury history, he did manage to play 130+ games in 2012 and 2013. It's not like he plays 50 games a year...

Jays don't have enough OF depth either to not qualify him either. More than likely, Pillar ends up being used as a 4th OF (maybe platooned with Pompey) and Pompey/Saunders are the starting CF/LF next season.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
They might all have question marks, but the most of them are top 10 prospects is a deep system. A rental with questions marks(people have been concerned if the Reds are hiding an injury) don't cost 3 of those quality prospects. I wouldn't give 2 of them for Cueto. 1 plus a lesser prospect maybe. And I'm make damn sure he was healthy or they're be no agreeing to any deal from my end.

also qualify Saunders? Don't they still have a year of control of what I assume is arbitration? I thought you only qualify guys who are about to be free agents to get a pick? Do you have to qualify arbitration guys a certain level(depending on their current salary) or they become free agents?

Would I trade three of them for Cueto? probably not depending on which ones....i'm just saying if AA choses to go that route he has to hold his ground and not give up Top prospects for him. I'd be hesitant to give up any of those prospects without full medical disclosure from the reds. If his arm checks out fine I'd be okay in a deal of Boyd+Castro+Pentecost or SRF+Tellez/Urena

only way I see Saunders back is if he takes a Smoak type deal. I liked the deal at the time (not the biggest Happ fan) but I dont' think you can count on Saunders staying healthy as a starting LF. He is a 4th outfielder that you are lucky to get half a season out of.

Last edited:

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
There's no way Saunders isn't qualified for next season. He's cheap, has proven to be productive and despite the injury history, he did manage to play 130+ games in 2012 and 2013. It's not like he plays 50 games a year...

Jays don't have enough OF depth either to not qualify him either. More than likely, Pillar ends up being used as a 4th OF (maybe platooned with Pompey) and Pompey/Saunders are the starting CF/LF next season.
I'm a fan of Saunders....but in 2012 and 2013 he had two working knees

A piece of his knee is missing....the jays are very quiet in regards to Saunders....seems like there is some serious damage. I don't even know if Saunders will play baseball again...he would be smart to walk away and become a doctor like his father.

Pillar deserves to stay in center. Pompey should play in LF. bring in a 4th OFer for depth.

Maximus74

Mar 5, 2006
Ontario
I know I am in the minority, but I would re-tool this year... How much could we get for Buerle, Dickie and one of JB or EE?

Don't want to give up premium prospects.. would rather re-build the core and go from there...

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I know I am in the minority, but I would re-tool this year... How much could we get for Buerle, Dickie and one of JB or EE?

Don't want to give up premium prospects.. would rather re-build the core and go from there...

I don't know....Dickey and Buerhle wouldn't get much given the depth available

JB is injured and wouldn't pass a physical. if healthy could land Wheeler or another young pitcher.

EE is injured and wouldn't pass a physical.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't know....Dickey and Buerhle wouldn't get much given the depth available

JB is injured and wouldn't pass a physical. if healthy could land Wheeler or another young pitcher.

EE is injured and wouldn't pass a physical.

What in the world you talking about? Of course they would pass a physical. If they were that hurt, they wouldn't be playing. Oh, and every player would love to be "hurt" as much as Bautista, he has 20 home runs and drove in 65 runs.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Shi Davidi ‏@ShiDavidi 8m8 minutes ago
Michael Saunders increasing activity but nowhere near return. "I wouldn't expect to see him before September," says Gibbons. #BlueJays

Disappointing... such a loss year for Saunders. It sure would be amazing if Saunders and Stroman managed to come back in September though.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Saunders isn't going to make any contributions this year that's been obvious for a while.

Stroman appears ahead of schedule though, could be good to go late in the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad