Speculation: Trade Deadline 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
The Bottom 8 in the East suck so bad. It's already improbable that any of them could even catch Dallas. It seems fair to say the absolute highest Dallas could pick is 12th, and that's even not likely to happen. The reality is their range is probably 14-17.

Theres a chance we could finish 8/9th. Islanders have lots of games in hand and possibly could catch up

We need a serious 8 game losing skid

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Theres a chance we could finish 8/9th. Islanders have lots of games in hand and possibly could catch up

We need a serious 8 game losing skid

It's fairly unlikely. I know they're playing better, but they're still sub 0.500, and they don't have a bunch of games in hand. They have 4. Even if they won all 4 games, they're still behind Dallas in points. They might have a slightly better chance of finishing ahead of Dallas in the standings than Dallas has to catch 1 of the Top 4 teams in the Central, but both are really terrible bets.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
It's fairly unlikely. I know they're playing better, but they're still sub 0.500, and they don't have a bunch of games in hand. They have 4. Even if they won all 4 games, they're still behind Dallas in points. They might have a slightly better chance of finishing ahead of Dallas in the standings than Dallas has to catch 1 of the Top 4 teams in the Central, but both are really terrible bets.

A lot of ifs and praying, but there is a slim chance lol

I’m trying to remain hopeful we get a top 10 pick and sell at the deadline. Don’t go posting the most likely scenarios!

BG44

Jul 19, 2021

Key takeaways ...

1) Carolina wants defense, and they will do equal money in and out likely.

2) Columbus may trade RFAs like Laine (high QO and play) and Roslovic (poor play/fit).

3) NY Rangers need a Top 6 RW and checking line LW.

4) Pittsburgh is looking for a backup goalie.

5) Washington is looking for a starting goaltender.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
The most interesting suggestion from that article wasn't that Carolina would want money in and money out. The owner hasn't been afraid to cut corners financially before even though they're spent beyond the cap this year.

Someone on here once mentioned Niederreiter as a potential part of the package for Klingberg, and I didn't dismiss it as unlikely, but instead just pointed out it would be a massive failure on Dallas' part to bring back an expiring contract as a significant piece in any trade. Seravalli did suggest though that they could simply flip Nino elsewhere as a rental to make the cap space.

The more surprising suggestion from him though was that Carolina has been considering moving Skeji. He's signed for 2 more years at $5.25 million, and he's 27 years old. I think I'd be pretty underwhelmed by him being included because he almost certainly eliminates any shot at a 1st round pick or top prospect.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
The most interesting suggestion from that article wasn't that Carolina would want money in and money out. The owner hasn't been afraid to cut corners financially before even though they're spent beyond the cap this year.

Someone on here once mentioned Niederreiter as a potential part of the package for Klingberg, and I didn't dismiss it as unlikely, but instead just pointed out it would be a massive failure on Dallas' part to bring back an expiring contract as a significant piece in any trade. Seravalli did suggest though that they could simply flip Nino elsewhere as a rental to make the cap space.

The more surprising suggestion from him though was that Carolina has been considering moving Skeji. He's signed for 2 more years at $5.25 million, and he's 27 years old. I think I'd be pretty underwhelmed by him being included because he almost certainly eliminates any shot at a 1st round pick or top prospect.

For four seasons on a bad team, and a good team, Skjei would provide exactly what Dallas thinks Lindell provides but doesn't: Look! He's actually good at recovering dump-ins and not losing the puck to the forecheck.

Dashboard-1-11.png

I'd be cool with Skjei: not great in the offensive zone, but is stout defensively, and has skill in the neutral zone. The irony is that Dallas will be begging for the one thing they're willing to trade: a big minute right shot defender.

Don't be surprised if Dallas gets a bag of pucks for Klingberg. He's playing like someone who can't wait to get out of this system, Dallas isn't doing anything to increase his trade value, and it sounds like a lot of defenders are gonna be available at the trade deadline.

Reactions: Sports2 and Elysian

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
For four seasons on a bad team, and a good team, Skjei would provide exactly what Dallas thinks Lindell provides but doesn't: Look! He's actually good at recovering dump-ins and not losing the puck to the forecheck.

Dashboard-1-11.png

I'd be cool with Skjei: not great in the offensive zone, but is stout defensively, and has skill in the neutral zone. The irony is that Dallas will be begging for the one thing they're willing to trade: a big minute right shot defender.

Don't be surprised if Dallas gets a bag of pucks for Klingberg. He's playing like someone who can't wait to get out of this system, Dallas isn't doing anything to increase his trade value, and it sounds like a lot of defenders are gonna be available at the trade deadline.
Don’t be surprised if he is not traded. Also, not many RHDs are available and none come close to klingberg. GMs are smart. They can see what is going on and know the system and contract negotiations are causing issues. So is Nill when it comes to trading.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA

Dashboard-1-11.png

Is there some sort of guide on reading that graph? Not familiar with that one, and I can't figure it out just be staring at it.

My big fear about this trade deadline (other than us not selling at all) is that smart teams will sell early, while the number of dance partners is higher. Dallas will wait until the last minute and limit the pool of trade partners. It could work if you get some really desperate teams, but it could also backfire if you can't drum up much of a market. Also the longer they wait, the bigger the chance of injury to any of our trade pieces. While the West is a little more vague about who is snatching the wildcards, the east is firmly set, and nothing short of a nuclear meltdown top a top 8 team will change that. That means teams 9-16 in the east are clear sellers right now, they won't need to wait. At least with Klingberg, he's been shopping himself to teams, so I'm sure inroads have been made on the candidates for him.

Chychrun is having an awful season, and while he has youth on his side, he's been worse than Klingberg has been. I think both players have excuses of playing for some morale crushing regimes, and obviously Chychrun is probably overextended on a really awful team. However, I'm curious to see if he even gets dealt because of his season, it could spook teams off of the asking price. Best case scenario, a guy like Chychrun is not in the market, because I'm not sure Klingberg has a ton of competition vs the sort of defenseman he is.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Wouldn't be a bad night for Oettinger to let in some bad goals (for an eventual loss) and the PP to go off with Pavelski, Radulov, and Klingberg picking up a few points.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021

So say both Florida and Carolina were offering current defenders. Montour is already the 5th D in Florida. Klingberg pushes him out of PP time, and Gudas presumably would get pushed down to the 3rd pair possibly replacing him as well.

Given the choice, do you prefer Skjei from Carolina or Montour from Florida?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Montour is not even 2 years younger than Klingberg . Thats not what i'd be looking for in return for Klingberg .

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Has anyone else noticed Anaheim’s games played and points? Once Calgary passes them we could jump ahead of them for 8th if we won our games played

I really don’t like our chances of being sellers and it makes me sad

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I'm not talking about Montour for Kingberg. It's not unreasonable to assume salary could be coming back, and Nill receiving an NHL defender as part of the package would not be surprising either.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Has anyone else noticed Anaheim’s games played and points? Once Calgary passes them we could jump ahead of them for 8th if we won our games played

I really don’t like our chances of being sellers and it makes me sad

I think you're probably riding the emotional highs of wins and losses a little bit too much if a win last night at home raises the needle that much.

They definitely may not sell, but you're going to get exhausted if the nightly results have significant sway.

I think it would be wise to give them some road games before we give them wins for games in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad