GDT: Trade Deadline 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016

Do you think it's possible we just got fleeced by Sather and the Rangers. Let's suppose that Hayes wanted to resign in New York, which the papers there said he did.He wanted to stay there badly.( so the sports papers say)

Sather then says to Hayes --I'll resign you, if you do me a favor ? Hayes says what's that Glen ??- Sather says I'd like you to go play out the balance of the season with a team that I'll trade you to as a rental. ( UFA)

After the season--I'll pay you what you want, and that's X dollars --you just come back here, and I'll sign you, but this has to be a verbal agreement between you and me, done on trust. Hayes then agrees, as he considers this his home town, and where he wants to play.

END RESULT The deal is done with the Jets -- Sather gets Lemieux, and he gets a first round draft pick for getting around the rules. "dirty business" but it's done. Hayes returns in July, 2019 -takes some offers from other teams to make it look good, and resigns with New York.

The rules should be amended for Trade rental to state -- that a "traded player" cannot resign with his former selling team for a minimum of 2 years. This will keep the deals "honest." To me, it makes no sense for Sather to trade a 27 year old center, that scores 60 points, when you have to rebuild.
We paid the price for a rental... no more. It doesn’t matter where Hayes goes after, the price we paid was standard for a player his level

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
We paid the price for a rental... no more. It doesn’t matter where Hayes goes after, the price we paid was standard for a player his level

Yes your right J - everything is above board, but I'd at least like the Jets to have a shot at resigning him, if he really fits in. I don't like the idea of an "opaque deal" -- that be a little bit misleading. Nothing wrong with the legality of it tho -- those are the rules-- you are right.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

I'm sure your right here Bo, and I'm sure Chevy and company have weighed the risks, as they know what "free agent status is. " I just think if Chevy and company wanted an honest chance of resigning Hayes -- this could be taken away by Sather and Hayes having a pre-arranged agreement between themselves, for him to go back to New York-- whereas I'd like to see the Jets have a "fair chance" of resigning him.

BTW- Ladd was "finished' in my opinion--he had sports hernias, was slow, and very much in decline--the best "non signing" the Jets have accomplished. You may not agree, but hey--that's what these boards are all about.-"various perspectives."

You do make a good point on resigning having "no impact" on the Jet's decision.:)
Sather hasn't been the general manager of the New York Rangers for a while now.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016

Yes your right J - everything is above board, but I'd at least like the Jets to have a shot at resigning him, if he really fits in. I don't like the idea of an "opaque deal" -- that be a little bit misleading. Nothing wrong with the legality of it tho -- those are the rules-- you are right.
Fair enough.... we have a shot to resign him. Maybe he loves the room, the organization, the opportunity to keep making a few runs cause this is our window.... time will tell, but I think he wants to get paid, question is will we have cap room for him?

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Sather hasn't been the general manager of the New York Rangers for a while now.

I did not know that -- never heard of him retiring or anything--did he stay on in a higher position as President, or something like that ?? or did he retire from hockey?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

I did not know that -- never heard of him retiring or anything--did he stay on in a higher position as President, or something like that ?? or did he retire from hockey?
Going on 4 years... he is still the president of the Rangers.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Fair enough.... we have a shot to resign him. Maybe he loves the room, the organization, the opportunity to keep making a few runs cause this is our window.... time will tell, but I think he wants to get paid, question is will we have cap room for him?

We'll definitely "make cap room" for him, if we win the Stanley Cup-- just in the same way we would have made room for Paul Stastny. Lot's of guys like Perrault, and some others can be moved out. I guess we'll see if he fits in first, and see how the Jets do ?

Reactions: Jmiller1

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Going on 4 years... he is still the president of the Rangers.

Well, same sort of thing though--he's really still calling the shots on big issues I would think. I thought he was still with them, as I've seen him sitting in the executive booth. I guess they just promoted him. Thanks for the info. :)

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'm fine for Hayes as a rental. We paid a fair rental price for a cup run. I doubt we re-sign him.

I don't know why you'd say that ( although possible) Lets say we win the Stanley Cup, he gets along great with the guys, and becomes somewhat of a hero here. If we offer him the right kind of money -- I think we have a shot of resigning him. He's from Boston, and we have a lot of Americans on our team.

I guess the "probability" won't be great though, with a lot of clubs bidding for him ??

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

Well, same sort of thing though--he's really still calling the shots on big issues I would think. I thought he was still with them, as I've seen him sitting in the executive booth. I guess they just promoted him. Thanks for the info. :)
No promotion at all... He has been president since 2000.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Fantenberg would have been great, Joakim Ryan in San Jose is available. There are options.

I was with you on Fantenberg. Felt like he could have been a pretty underrated acquisition. Wondering how he compares to Beaulieu and Kiselevich? The cost was 2 and 3 rounds higher than what Chevy paid.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

It's nice to have you on this forum to correct all my mistakes ;)
I sent you links months ago so you could look them up yourself but it is obvious that you don't.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I sent you links months ago so you could look them up yourself but it is obvious that you don't.

I think you just enjoy correcting my mistakes, and razzing me a bit, and I don't even make that much fun of all your new trade suggestions every week. ;)

Maybe one day we can become true friends on here ???

I'm sure your a decent guy

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

I think you just enjoy correcting my mistakes, and razzing me a bit, and I don't even make that much fun of all your new trade suggestions every week. ;)

Maybe one day we can become true friends on here ???

I'm sure your a decent guy
you're

Reactions: jetsforever

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Well I am thrilled its over. The deadline is stressful. This high roller living is not the manitoba way. Well, maybe trying to get value assets for low picks is-the equivalent of purchasing with coupons.

I like Hayes and players like Beaulieu, Kiselivich and Hendricks may all make contributions in one way or another.

Brendan Lemieux I can do without, the first hurts but another centre really sets up the forwards nicely. We are hooped if Buff and Morrissey don't stay healthy.

Given salary cap issues, Trouba needing to go in summer and players like Perrault and Myers potentially leaving, this really feels like the last hurrah for this group as we know it.

Huge change may be coming next year.

It feels too much money is tied up in Little, Wheeler and Buff. Once Laine and Connor get resigned their will be little left over for depth. The expansion draft may be the next thing that helps us.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Think of it this way. Could Vegas have signed Stone as a UFA at 7 x $9.5 million? Seems quite likely that they could have signed him away from Winnipeg or Calgary as a UFA. In that case, they paid Brannstrom essentially to rent Stone for the rest of the year, and added a year of contract at $9.5 million for when Stone is 34...

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011

Do you think it's possible we just got fleeced by Sather and the Rangers. Let's suppose that Hayes wanted to resign in New York, which the papers there said he did.He wanted to stay there badly.( so the sports papers say)

Sather then says to Hayes --I'll resign you, if you do me a favor ? Hayes says what's that Glen ??- Sather says I'd like you to go play out the balance of the season with a team that I'll trade you to as a rental. ( UFA)

After the season--I'll pay you what you want, and that's X dollars --you just come back here, and I'll sign you, but this has to be a verbal agreement between you and me, done on trust. Hayes then agrees, as he considers this his home town, and where he wants to play.

END RESULT The deal is done with the Jets -- Sather gets Lemieux, and he gets a first round draft pick for getting around the rules. "dirty business" but it's done. Hayes returns in July, 2019 -takes some offers from other teams to make it look good, and resigns with New York.

The rules should be amended for Trade rental to state -- that a "traded player" cannot resign with his former selling team for a minimum of 2 years. This will keep the deals "honest." To me, it makes no sense for Sather to trade a 27 year old center, that scores 60 points, when you have to rebuild.
Guess you never saw Hayes in his Jets' jammies, hey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad