Trade Deadline 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
You guys forgot the fourth alternative: bringing Oleg Kvasha out of retirement and installing him on JT`s lw.

Kvasha never retired. He just chose to take a break from hockey. If/when he ever does decide to grace us with his presence again, he would not be on anyone's wing. We would proceed immediately to handing him the cup at center ice followed by a parade. Oleg deserves nothing less.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Polak or Michelek.

Also maybe another forward in case injuries and Okposo and Grabovski don't come back.

Maybe like a Glencross Winnik or a Mathias.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
IMO, the Isles will do one of 2 things at the deadline:

Something very minor just to tweak the bottom end of the roster; or

Something surprising and major that improves the team in the short and long term. IOW, I don't see them paying a high price for an older player (like Chara). If they're going to give up assets, it would be to upgrade the upper part of the roster with a younger player who would hopefully be here for a long time.

Actually, make that 3 possibilities, with the 3rd being them doing absolutely nothing, which might be the most likely....

This does indeed cover the entire universe of things that could happen

Reminds me of the old Mitch Hedberg line:

I used to be in a punk rock band. People used to love us, hate us or thought we were just OK.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
How much cap space do we have.... around 6M? That really isn't that much considering for next year, while Viz's 4.7M comes off the books, we have to pay Leddy (3.5-4m?-1m raise), Brock (2m? - 1m raise), Lee(3m? - 2m raise) and Boychuk (6m? - 3m raise).... that is going to eat up a lot of space.

BroadwayJay*

yashin is off the books too and the cap will go up, as it always does

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
How much cap space do we have.... around 6M? That really isn't that much considering for next year, while Viz's 4.7M comes off the books, we have to pay Leddy (3.5-4m?-1m raise), Brock (2m? - 1m raise), Lee(3m? - 2m raise) and Boychuk (6m? - 3m raise).... that is going to eat up a lot of space.

I think we'll have around 15 million available this offseason. Should be enough to lock everyone up.

BroadwayJay*

There's nothing to agree with or disagree with. It just is. The stats are objective. They don't lie. ;)

The stats don't lie, but you have to know how to read them.

Upon what basis are you saying Polak is worse than Strait?

If it is on SAT totals, that's ridiculous to make such a comparison. Have we created a monster by providing this data without explaining it?

You have to look at RELATIVE cf% before anything else. A bad team is a bad team, a player who is a positive on a bad team might be worse than a player who is a negative on a good team; but you need to dig a little deeper to compare two players on different teams.

Better to compare players on one team. If you want to compare players on two teams, I recommend looking at the charts on war-on-ice and see if he's doing the things you want him to do. Also, WOWYs with his teammates. Is he making players better or worse? This is the kind of stuff you need to know. Zone starts are incredibly important as well. Usage. All this stuff matters.

Again, this is why that "corsi isn't the end-all be-all" stuff people say is so mis-placed. It is just part of the statistical picture, when we talk about CF% we're talking about a deeper analysis than just straight corsi events +/-, which is only a little bit better than straight +/-

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The stats don't lie, but you have to know how to read them.

Upon what basis are you saying Polak is worse than Strait?

If it is on SAT totals, that's ridiculous to make such a comparison. Have we created a monster by providing this data without explaining it?

You have to look at RELATIVE cf% before anything else. A bad team is a bad team, a player who is a positive on a bad team might be worse than a player who is a negative on a good team; but you need to dig a little deeper to compare two players on different teams.

Better to compare players on one team. If you want to compare players on two teams, I recommend looking at the charts on war-on-ice and see if he's doing the things you want him to do. Also, WOWYs with his teammates. Is he making players better or worse? This is the kind of stuff you need to know. Zone starts are incredibly important as well. Usage. All this stuff matters.

Again, this is why that "corsi isn't the end-all be-all" stuff people say is so mis-placed. It is just part of the statistical picture, when we talk about CF% we're talking about a deeper analysis than just straight corsi events +/-, which is only a little bit better than straight +/-

Why is it mis-placed? It's true is it not? Or IS corsi indeed the end-all-and-be-all?

In any case, thanks for the info (and I'm being sincere here).

You haven't created a monster but I now know that there's no reason to watch the games. All I have to do is read a spread sheet and a graph. That will tell me all I need to know. :p:

BroadwayJay*

Why is it mis-placed? It's true is it not? Or IS corsi indeed the end-all-and-be-all?

LOL NO! I always say it isn't!!!! The point is that Corsi is just a piece that we use, in conjunction with loads of other data points. Suggesting that anyone thinks Corsi is the end-all be-all of anything is ridiculous.

That said, CF%, WOWY, and CF rel% are as useful a triplet of metrics as exist to evaluate one player on your team from another.

In any case, thanks for the info (and I'm being sincere here).

You haven't created a monster but I now know that there's no reason to watch the games. All I have to do is read a spread sheet and a graph. That will tell me all I need to know. :p:

Exactly. I haven't watched a game in years. Just use my Ti-86.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
LOL NO! I always say it isn't!!!! The point is that Corsi is just a piece that we use, in conjunction with loads of other data points. Suggesting that anyone thinks Corsi is the end-all be-all of anything is ridiculous.

That said, CF%, WOWY, and CF rel% are as useful a triplet of metrics as exist to evaluate one player on your team from another.

Exactly. I haven't watched a game in years. Just use my Ti-86.

Whip 'em out Wednesdays? :dunno:

You're probably too young to remember that...

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
I think we'll have around 15 million available this offseason. Should be enough to lock everyone up.

I think your right. With viz off the books, we would have 10 mill in space (if you include everyone's current salary) + 2.2 for yashin + 3m cap increase would be around 15 million. Figure you give those raises I mentioned above, we would have around 5-6M left after signing boychuk and the RFAs. Great spot to be in.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I think your right. With viz off the books, we would have 10 mill in space (if you include everyone's current salary) + 2.2 for yashin + 3m cap increase would be around 15 million. Figure you give those raises I mentioned above, we would have around 5-6M left after signing boychuk and the RFAs. Great spot to be in.

Is that assuming max cap use?

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
no thanks on phaneuf. he sucks. and in about 2 year his playing level is going to fall off a cliff.

Zbyněk Michálek is the guy i want. he would be the prefect defenseman for us. good numbers on a bad team, good pk'er.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
yashin is off the books too and the cap will go up, as it always does

The Canadian dollar has crashed the last couple months (down to about $0.80), which will drag down a bunch of the NHL's revenues. There is talk up here that the cap might actually go down, especially if the players don't invoke their escalator clause (because the escrow is already high, but could be even higher next year).

Remember, big % of NHL revenues are in a non-US currency. So while the revenues in both countries go up, the revenues in Canada will actually go down in USD (which is what the CBA measures revenues in) because of the falling CAD dollar.

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
I come in peace! I really like where this team is going and honestly think they have a chance if they make a couple of smallish moves.

Anders Lee - John Tavares - Kyle Okposo
Josh Bailey - Frans Nielsen - Ryan Strome
Nikolai Kulemin - Brock Nelson - Michael Grabner
Matt Martin - Casey Cizikas - Cal Clutterbuck
Colin McDonald

Nick Leddy - Johnny Boychuk
Calvin DeHaan - Travis Hamonic
Lubomir Visnovsky - XXX
Thomas Hickey

Jaroslav Halak
XXX

Grabovski's contract seems like it might be bad for this team considering their abundance of centres already and he probably has more value to a team than Grabner.

Maybe something like Grabovski + Johnson + Mayfield for Fasth + Fayne/Petry + 3rd?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Grabovski's contract seems like it might be bad for this team considering their abundance of centres already and he probably has more value to a team than Grabner.

I disagree, "legit" top 6 centers have value, borderline ones not so much. I would say a middle 6 winger would have more value then a borderline 2nd line Center. Now factor in contracts Grabner definitely would get more interest

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
I disagree, "legit" top 6 centers have value, borderline ones not so much. I would say a middle 6 winger would have more value then a borderline 2nd line Center. Now factor in contracts Grabner definitely would get more interest

Depends the team IMO. The offer I proposed is with Edmonton. They will have cap space, they need a centre and centre depth more importantly. Grabovski has experience which they lack and maybe a russian (or Belorussian) duo of Grabovski - Yakupov might excel.

I can be wrong but IMO that seems like a decent scenario.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Depends the team IMO. The offer I proposed is with Edmonton. They will have cap space, they need a centre and centre depth more importantly. Grabovski has experience which they lack and maybe a russian (or Belorussian) duo of Grabovski - Yakupov might excel.

I can be wrong but IMO that seems like a decent scenario.

Not a fan of Grabovski's contract but he is still a keeper imo. Grabner is more likely the odd man out, cause his contract is up after next yr anyway. I personally love the depth the Islanders have down the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad