Rumor: Trade Deadline 2015 the aftermath, the debate and process of an Autopsy of the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm betting Boychuk resigns with te Isles before it gets to free agency (it seems like both sides are interested in getting a deal done, it just needs to be hammered out).

I've been on the Green bandwagon for some time now. He likely won't be resigned in Washington, and his injury history will likely scare a lot of teams off giving him a big contract.

If MacT decided to nut up and be BOLD, I think he could be got - IMO, he's a massive risk, but one worth taking.

I see Philly throwing big dollars at him. Who knows, maybe the Caps will just opt to keep him too.

Maybe we could scoop up a Streit or Schenn from Philly as a cap dump if they decide to get Green though.

Not ideal, but it's much better than nothing. We're not exactly in a position to dictate to players to want to come here.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Sure thing, he has 2 less points than Matt Duchene and 1 more than Mikko Koivu. Most teams would give their left nut for those guys.

Haven't watched enough of Koivu personally(not interested in Wild games), but if you've ever watched Duchene; he's not a passenger in the offensive zone the way RNH is.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
I see Philly throwing big dollars at him. Who knows, maybe the Caps will just opt to keep him too.

Maybe we could scoop up a Streit or Schenn from Philly as a cap dump if they decide to get Green though.

Not ideal, but it's much better than nothing. We're not exactly in a position to dictate to players to want to come here.

Philly has no room to unless they trade at least one of Lecavalier, Umberger, and MacDonald. Which is to say, it's highly unlikely.

This is one area where the Oilers have a definite advantage. If you're a guy like Christian Ehrhoff likely on your last chance to get a long deal at good dollars, the Oilers' ability to pay might be a deciding factor.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Philly has no room to unless they trade at least one of Lecavalier, Umberger, and MacDonald. Which is to say, it's highly unlikely.

This is one area where the Oilers have a definite advantage. If you're a guy like Christian Ehrhoff likely on your last chance to get a long deal at good dollars, the Oilers' ability to pay might be a deciding factor.

Moving out Coburn moves out $4 million in cap, moving out Schenn or Streit could give them room. Philly always pulls off crap like that.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
Moving out Coburn moves out $4 million in cap, moving out Schenn or Streit could give them room. Philly always pulls off crap like that.

Yes, Philly does seem to do it more often than most. I guess my main point was just that Philly has a lot of dollars already tied up, and the big tickets that they might want to move are going to be very difficult to move.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
If Sekera reaches the market, I think he'd be a pretty good target for us. $5.5 x 5 years. (last rumored asking price from his camp)

Sekera-Fayne
Klefbom-Schultz
Nikitin-Ference

Nurse in the AHL. Marincin probably traded for something around Craig Anderson.

It would give us a legit shutdown pairing after many moons of not having a shut down pairing.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I get the feeling they're going to end up settling for Cody Franson (and paying out the wazoo too, lol).

He's the Pouliot of d-men.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Yeah I'm could see us getting Franson too. We need a D-man that can play defense primarily. Fix the leaky D and then go from there. Sekera and Fayne might give us a fighting chance in this division.

I can also see a draft day deal for Bozak too. We were rumored to be interested after his jump in possession numbers after Randy C was fired for them.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I was referring to Hall, Nuge and Yakupov. All substantially better prospects than either Draisaitl or Nurse. All came in and had fairly successful rookie seasons. None of them made our team one iota better.

Klefbom hasn't either for that matter. And that's with him "looking good." Nurse and Draisaitl wont be any different.

Relying on prospects to improve this team just ensures that we'll forever be in the basement.

I was a little tired when i wrote that so i suppose your position isn't all that different from mine, but still i think it's a little early to suggest those three are substantially better prospects, maybe Hall is, Draisaitl could easily be the Toews of his draft (in that he's the best center, but taken just a bit later) and Nurse could be a Pieterangelo level dman. The reason these guys don't push us forward is because we expect them to replace good players as opposed to compliment them, ala Petry was traded for jack **** and now we've got even less help for these guys as they develop.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
It's not like Weber makes any scrub look elite. The only dmen that have looked elite beside him are Suter and Josi.

Josi is the real deal. I would trade anybody in our organization for him straight up, including Hall.

Thank you!
Man, I watched that Nashville - Rangers game the other day...the way Josi plays with the puck is amazing. Has no problem skating the puck into the offensive zone and set things up. Guy is top 10 in the league right now and only getting better.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
List of dmen I think MacT should go after this season are:
Voynov
Sekera
Green- Only if it is not too long and crazy; which it will be so forget about it
Boychuk- again would love to get him but the money I am hearing no thank you will help the team out for 3 yrs then the contract will be an anchor.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So is Fasth close to being healthy? We could probably milk another draft pick out of him with Florida's goalie issues.

phaedrusDH

Jul 6, 2009
true. this whole "trade deadline only applies to playoff eligibility" really changes things.
why didn't i know about this rule before?

nhlisajoke

Nov 15, 2010
Edmonton
true. this whole "trade deadline only applies to playoff eligibility" really changes things.
why didn't i know about this rule before?

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie · 19m19 minutes ago
I stand corrected on trading after the deadline. It has to be a free agent signing, not a trade. My mistake.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie · 19m19 minutes ago
I stand corrected on trading after the deadline. It has to be a free agent signing, not a trade. My mistake.

@TSNBobMcKenzie 3m3 minutes ago
Lots of confusion on this one but bottom line is any player can be traded after deadline but not eligible to play in reg season or playoffs.

nhlisajoke

Nov 15, 2010
Edmonton
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie · 15m15 minutes ago
Lots of confusion on this one but bottom line is any player can be traded after deadline but not eligible to play in reg season or playoffs.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Did I miss something on Voynov?

If he is found not guilty why aren't the Kings just keeping him?

Even if he somehow avoids jail time, not many teams will want their name attached to a suspected wife beater. It's a PR nightmare.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
If Sekera reaches the market, I think he'd be a pretty good target for us. $5.5 x 5 years. (last rumored asking price from his camp)

Sekera-Fayne
Klefbom-Schultz
Nikitin-Ference

Nurse in the AHL. Marincin probably traded for something around Craig Anderson.

It would give us a legit shutdown pairing after many moons of not having a shut down pairing.

I would love Sekera here. Christian Ehrhoff and Paul Martin too.

The cap staying stagnant helps a lot with that. Ehrhoff and Martin and getting towards the end of their prime, and this summer will likely be one of the last chances for them to get one more big-money deal. There aren't as many teams competing to give them one as there usually are. I don't want to get my hopes up, but there's an opportunity there.

Franson also wouldn't be a bad option, but it would mean that Ference and Nikitin were on different pairings. That's like encouraging a fart to spread in a room. Gotta contain them both on one pairing.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Did I miss something on Voynov?

If he is found not guilty why aren't the Kings just keeping him?

I am not a lawyer (but I play one on TV bonus pts if you get who said it)--even if he is found not guilty due to the nature of the crime he could still be deported--that is no argument that some sort of physical assault took place and this a problem that he faces next.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I really think signing Boychuk might screw us hard in 3-4 years ... but at the same time if he's available and actually willing to play in Edmonton, we need help on the back end in the worst way.

5 years, 35 million
= 7 mill cap hit.

8/8/8/7/5

Nikitin Boychuk
Ference Fayne
Klefbom Schultz

The sad thing is our blue line still isn't very good :laugh:

That said I think he'll probably reach an extension with the Islanders. Good situation, why risk going elsewhere.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I am not a lawyer (but I play one on TV bonus pts if you get who said it)--even if he is found not guilty due to the nature of the crime he could still be deported--that is no argument that some sort of physical assault took place and this a problem that he faces next.

I only logged in to take a guess at the bolded-haha.............Who is Andy Griffith?

(Loved Matlock when I was a kid...sounds like something he would have once said.)

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I really think signing Boychuk might screw us hard in 3-4 years ... but at the same time if he's available and actually willing to play in Edmonton, we need help on the back end in the worst way.

5 years, 35 million
= 7 mill cap hit.

8/8/8/7/5

Nikitin Boychuk
Ference Fayne
Klefbom Schultz

The sad thing is our blue line still isn't very good :laugh:

That said I think he'll probably reach an extension with the Islanders. Good situation, why risk going elsewhere.

Screw us hard in 3-4 years? Then we trade him to someone looking to get above the cap floor.
If I have learned anything from the NHL, it is that you can find a way to trade the Horcoffian contracts.
In case it comes up, Boychuk will never be a Clarkson or Richards type contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad