GDT: TRADE DEADLINE 2014 "We're Definitely Not Sellers" EDITION

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
LOL Poutine, its not about expectations at all. Its easily stating Hemsky + a resigned Phillips doesn't do nearly enough for us lol

We need to do something else, I dont know what exactly that is.. But Ottawa isnt really in a better position than they were yesterday.

Conacher out Hemsky in.. oh wow!! thats huge for us... no

Hemsky is definately better than Conacher but adding a little more muscle like Stewart would have been great. Re-signing Phillips really depends on which side of the fence you are with this, personally I would have traded him but now that he is signed we live with it. Keep in mind Phillips is getting older & his skills & speed are slowly diminishing.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
People want murray to make huge trades, well then ottawa needs to get a new owner. We have no ****ing idea how much melnyk could be restricting this team from becoming competitive. The one thing that i am absolutely not going to do is put all of the blame on murray on why there is no big trades. I say it is more like 80% melnyk and 20% murray.

Where are all the major trades that are going down? We only hear about how cheap our owner is yet we hear nothing about how none of the other teams in the league are making these major moves. ****. I wonder why?

Oct 10, 2010
ya, but you don't just give carte blanche to sell the farm and make any deal. If the other GM is asking for too much (prospects or players or draft picks), what can you expect BM do? make a dumb deal?
Gaborik went for cheap, we could have traded fro him. CBJ also paid for some of his salary,

$$ is big issue for this team now and down the road.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Tons of cap space opens up... Sabres don't need 100 picks

And what will they spend that cap space on? All the money in the world won't convince top talent free agents to sign with a bottom feeding rebuilding team.

Moulson could have been flipped for actual players. Better than nothing.

TM failed.

Whippet

Feb 6, 2013
John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl 2m
The Sabres are definitely NOT done today, a league source says. Stay tuned.

The Fuhr*

so what your saying is, and correct me if im wrong, but not trading those assets for picks is justifiable because.... they would let them walk for free?

How is cap space on July 1 > Picks + cap space on July 1?

Halak, Tallinder and Moulson = 11 million dollars in money off the books.
You have to play games the rest of the season and can open up a ton of space in the summer.

If I'm TM I try to find a 1st for Moulson and keep Halak... Try and re-sign him

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if Murray made the Hemsky deal and kicked back for the rest of the day. He said multiple times (and Murray is way too candid sometimes) that the point of making a deal at the deadline is to show his players that management is trying to help them.

...which is kind of a ridiculous reason to make a deal in the first place. "We're trying to help you guys! But only a bit."

Excuse why? "We believe in this group..."

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Does magement even have an idea as to what direction we're heading in? The Hemsky trade implies we're going to make a run for the playoffs, but we do nothing to help our biggest need (defence).

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Seems like teams are wising up to the rental racket - just isn't worth paying high prices for 20 games.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
You have to play games the rest of the season and can open up a ton of space in the summer.

Boy will your face be red when Moulson gets traded in the next 20 minutes. :p

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Does magement even have an idea as to what direction we're heading in? The Hemsky trade implies we're going to make a run for the playoffs, but we do nothing to help our biggest need (defence).

If there were no good blueliners to be had, there is nothing Murray could do

thefatjesus*

Hemsky is definately better than Conacher but adding a little more muscle like Stewart would have been great. Re-signing Phillips really depends on which side of the fence you are with this, personally I would have traded him but now that he is signed we live with it. Keep in mind Phillips is getting older & his skills & speed are slowly diminishing.

I dont diagree with what your saying, but BM hasnt done anything lol

Are we puching for a playoff spot? No, Hemsky isnt that good

Are we pushing for Next year? No, we havnt acquired anything for next season

Are we getting a Powerforward? No, although thats what we needed.

Im fine with Hemsky, but im not at all fine with only Hemsky.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009

I still dont see your point. Are they a floor team right now? Because unless they are right at the floor then TMurray will have failed to not deal an expiring asset.

If Halak is a 3million player and you can still hit the floor by dealing him for picks, then by not trading him you have done a poor job. Plain and simple.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Signing Phillips is the opposite of improving the defense. Murray failed hard on that.

WhiteLight*

I don't mind the Hemsky trade. Didn't give up much.

But why in the heck is this team buying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce