GDT: TRADE DEADLINE 2014 "We're Definitely Not Sellers" EDITION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2010
Looks like Melnyk wouldn't allow another deal today, too bad, Ottawa could have really improved themselves with some of the deals going down now they seem rather cheap for the players that are being dealt.

$300K is good enough in Melnyks mind.

Murray was lucky to get that.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Looks like Melnyk wouldn't allow another deal today, too bad, Ottawa could have really improved themselves with some of the deals going down now they seem rather cheap for the players that are being dealt.

Adding Pancakes would have been pretty neat along with the Hemsky deal.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
its not that simple

It's not that complicated either, he has set a salary limit on this team & he isn't willing to go above it, couldn't be simpler. While he added Hemsky who makes more than Conacher, Edm did retain half his salary. There was plenty of cap space to add more.

thefatjesus*

LOL Poutine, its not about expectations at all. Its easily stating Hemsky + a resigned Phillips doesn't do nearly enough for us lol

We need to do something else, I dont know what exactly that is.. But Ottawa isnt really in a better position than they were yesterday.

Conacher out Hemsky in.. oh wow!! thats huge for us... no

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Unless there are some last minute trades this was a fairly underwhelming deadline. Hope Garth Snow gets fired.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Chicago will probably pick up a bunch of his salary

Not saying these are facts whatsoever, but if....

-We didn't make another trade due to finances
-We loaned Corvo to the Wolves for salary reasons
-We forced Edmonton to take 50% of Hemsky's salary, giving up a 5th rounder because of it

...I'm pretty disgusted with our owner.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Tons of cap space opens up... Sabres don't need 100 picks

so what your saying is, and correct me if im wrong, but not trading those assets for picks is justifiable because.... they would let them walk for free?

How is cap space on July 1 > Picks + cap space on July 1?

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I guess some deals will trickle in, but right now it looks like a few guys are left holding a bag full of UFA's here...

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Have we heard anything about Murray talking to the media? If he was done, wouldn't we have heard from him about the Phillips signing and Hemsky trade?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
People want murray to make huge trades, well then ottawa needs to get a new owner. We have no ****ing idea how much melnyk could be restricting this team from becoming competitive. The one thing that i am absolutely not going to do is put all of the blame on murray on why there is no big trades.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Seriously don't get why we didn't just keep Conacher if that's all the moves we were going to make. Hopefully it wasn't just Melnyk being cheap.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He gains cap space tho... Financial flexibility.

What? Not trading Halak and Moulson for assets and having them walk as UFAs would be awful management.

I understand you're a big fan of Tim, but you would rip Bryan to shreds if he did the same here.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
It's not that complicated either, he has set a salary limit on this team & he isn't willing to go above it, couldn't be simpler. While he added Hemsky who makes more than Conacher, Edm did retain half his salary. There was plenty of cap space to add more.

ya, but you don't just give carte blanche to sell the farm and make any deal. If the other GM is asking for too much (prospects or players or draft picks), what can you expect BM do? make a dumb deal?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
People harping on Murray for not getting a top 4 defenseman, how many top 4 defensemen were moved today?

Doesn't look like many were available.

Oct 10, 2010
not saying these are facts whatsoever, but if....

-we didn't make another trade due to finances
-we loaned corvo to the wolves for salary reasons
-we forced edmonton to take 50% of hemsky's salary, giving up a 5th rounder because of it

...i'm pretty disgusted with our owner.

we should all be!

WhiteLight*

Not saying these are facts whatsoever, but if....

-We didn't make another trade due to finances
-We loaned Corvo to the Wolves for salary reasons
-We forced Edmonton to take 50% of Hemsky's salary, giving up a 5th rounder because of it

...I'm pretty disgusted with our owner.

Agreed.

And to me, what makes it even more disgusting is that this supposedly poor team can afford to pay Neil, Greening and Phillips north of $2M each while cheap and just as effective guys like Conacher are shipped off for nothing. But whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad