Trade Deadline - 02.25.2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I mean.. even the most average of intelligence people can assess a good time to buy low and when to sell high.

This guy constantly holds onto assets until they’ve been destroyed of all value.

He’s the equivalent of a guy being offered $10k for a used crappy car and refusing. Only to come back a week later after he’s smashed the car into a pole and amazed the deal isn’t there anymore.

He also doesn't understand the sunk cost fallacy. He doubles down on bad players because he thinks that's better than trading them for less than what he paid to acquire the..

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
He also doesn't understand the sunk cost fallacy. He doubles down on bad players because he thinks that's better than trading them for less than what he paid to acquire the..

I wonder if he isn't vulnerable to some rather stupefying magical thinking at times: his sense that a player will be good is strengthened by giving him an overpayment.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
So I was chatting with Rick Dhaliwal through DM (he DM me to clearify his view on Manning for some reason)

I told him they just sent Brise down and that they are totally claiming Manning. He replied with “huh, that’s weird.”

He then said he would look into it, and just now he replied that he doesn’t think Edler is close to returning

Read it however you want​

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Please no Manning, please no!!!! We have enough of that caliber... pouliot, Gudbranson to make a few. Oilers can suffer with their bad contracts and trades.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
lol Manning Gudbranson pairing would be fun for the laughs. Could easily outflank all the other tanks.

I'd take Manning from the oilers if they hand over a decent draft pick for our troubles.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Agreed Manning is awful, but the Oilers have to find a way to unload him. Spooner was the first to go. It's the only way to expunge the odor of the deals that dispatched Eberle and Caggiula from Oil Country.

Chiarelli's gifts that keep on giving for the Isles and Hawks.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I'm not expecting much at the deadline. We have a GM who has no interest in acquiring high draft picks. We won't be sellers because he wants to push for the playoffs again to save his job. My guess is we'll probably move someone like Goldobin for a player from another team. I could see maybe Goldobin for Charles Hudon.

Other teams will get draft picks, the Canucks won't.

Just what do we have to get a "high draft pick"? The only assets we have are Boeser, Hughes, Pettersson and Horvat? Which one do you want to trade for a draft pick. Tanev might get a second. Edler won't waive, and even if he did he's a rental for a late 2nd. Let me guess, Schaller, Granlund, Goldobin, Guddy, and 3 or 4 others we really don't need in a package for McDavid.

Instead of bitching, put together a package where we get "a high draft pick".

Edit - actually Markstrom is playing well enough to get a return.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
For some reason I feel like the Gagner/Spooner trade, will be the only Benning trade.

I still hope Gudbranson, Granlund, Pouliot, or Eriksson will be gone, but thats just a pipe dream.

Looking forward to another lame trade deadline.

Guddy has some value to a contender, because he can probably handle the grind. Who would want the others. I get tired of people saying we should trade our scraps for value. Who in the world would trade for Granlund, Pouliot or Eriksson? Literally we should pay someone to take them.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Guddy has some value to a contender, because he can probably handle the grind. Who would want the others. I get tired of people saying we should trade our scraps for value. Who in the world would trade for Granlund, Pouliot or Eriksson? Literally we should pay someone to take them.
a sad indictment of the state of the team.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Outside of the group of top guys we can’t trade (Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Markstrom) basically the entire rest of the team is untradeable due to terrible contracts, terrible play, or both.

Maybe you could get a crappy depth veteran defender on an expiring contract for Goldobin.

Maybe you could get a late-round pick for Granlund from a dumb team.

Maybe there’s still some team stupid enough to take Gudbranson, but we sure aren’t getting much.

Sutter might have been the best best but he has an NTC and is now hurt.

For the record, I expect we’ll be buyers, not sellers.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC

Only way I see us buying is for a player Benning wants to extend there is no other reason in hell to be buying and even that is stupid. We should be selling any of the following Spooner, Schaller, Granlund, Motte, Goldobin, Pouliot and Gudbranson. If we can rid ourselves even 1-2 of these guys for picks I'd call it a win.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Schaller is the guy I would expect to be moved, likely for someone on a similar (bad) contract with maybe a late draft pick tossed on.

Reactions: Canucks LB

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
theres not much he can do this tdl
sutter -injured
edler - injured and likely re-signed
tanev - injured
baertschi- injured
eriksson - offseason move after signing bonus
gudbranson- offseason move

that leaves the following
hutton - depends on injuries and what the plan for the offseason. maybe a 3rd?
leivo -likely re-signed
goldobin - likely kept incase of baertschi deal in offseason
schaller - 7th?
poliout - 6th?
motte - 5th?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm pretty sure we won't buy.

I think it's going to be a VERY boring deadline for us, similar to 2015.

I don’t think we’re going to be huge buyers but I absolutely think we’re going to be bleeding some middling picks/prospects for Ben Lovejoy/Troy Brouwer type veteran pending UFAs.

These guys really, REALLY want to make the playoffs.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I can see a trade like Goldobin for Trevor Van Riemsdyk or something. I'm sure Benning is going to add a dman in the next few days for his playoff push but hopefully not Manning unless Schaller is going back the other way.

member 290103

Outside of the group of top guys we can’t trade (Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Markstrom) basically the entire rest of the team is untradeable due to terrible contracts, terrible play, or both.

Maybe you could get a crappy depth veteran defender on an expiring contract for Goldobin.

Maybe you could get a late-round pick for Granlund from a dumb team.

Maybe there’s still some team stupid enough to take Gudbranson, but we sure aren’t getting much.

Sutter might have been the best best but he has an NTC and is now hurt.

That’s the thing though, there’s lots to be done in terms of just dumping those shitty vets. Even if they get nothing, just get rid of them.

They won’t though....more than likely they pick up even more overpriced garbage.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That’s the thing though, there’s lots to be done in terms of just dumping those ****ty vets. Even if they get nothing, just get rid of them.

They won’t though....more than likely they pick up even more overpriced garbage.

Who is going to trade for most of those guys?

Like, maybe it’s in the realm of possibility some idiot GM still values Gudbranson but Benning apparently wants the moon. Other than that ...

member 290103

Who is going to trade for most of those guys?

Like, maybe it’s in the realm of possibility some idiot GM still values Gudbranson but Benning apparently wants the moon. Other than that ...

No I agree. Just saying it would be nice to see them try.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
theres not much he can do this tdl
sutter -injured
edler - injured and likely re-signed
tanev - injured
baertschi- injured
eriksson - offseason move after signing bonus
gudbranson- offseason move

that leaves the following
hutton - depends on injuries and what the plan for the offseason. maybe a 3rd?
leivo -likely re-signed
goldobin - likely kept incase of baertschi deal in offseason
schaller - 7th?
poliout - 6th?
motte - 5th?
A 3rd??? What are you smoking
Ben Hutton is a legit top 4 D, you resign him ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad