Trade Deadline - 02.25.2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I would sell high on Hutton. It wasn't long ago some were talking about putting him on waivers or not qualifying him after the season.

I think that's a bad idea. The reason Hutton is having a good season is because he now understands the standard he has to hold himself to in order to stay in the league. He was in Green's doghouse last year because his training and conditioning wasn't up to par. He corrected that over the offseason and has now been rewarded by Green and has flourished in his system. I don't think this season is a flash in the pan per say, but rather what Hutton actually looks like when he trains properly. Our team is far too desperate for quality defencemen to be dealing Hutton, who's age fits into our rebuild well.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Trading Hutton would be a mistake. Stecher and him form a great top four pairing. If they insist on bringing back both Tanev and Edler we know they're both going to miss a good 20 games or so a season. We need guys who can play up the lineup -- and Jim hasn't really had a lot of luck in finding guys in that area.

They need to move on from Gudbranson and Pouliot. Even if it's for a mid-late pick. A la the Raphael Diaz trade.

I completely expect them to do nothing or if they do something it'll be Goldobin for a grinder.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
What I hope happens(nothing that crazy even)
Trade Guddy
Trade Granlund
Trade pouliot

For those trades, go ahead and aquire manning, and draft picks.

Would be a win for me imo.

I really hope we trade high with Troy though, With Quinn he was coming up, we can only have so many small defenceman is in my opinion.

I like Troy a lot, I think we could get a pretty decent value from him.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Trade Guddy
Trade Granlund
Trade pouliot

I really hope we trade high with Troy though, With Quinn he was coming up, we can only have so many small defenceman is in my opinion.

Throw in Sutter as well given how Gaudette is playing.

Gudbranson = 3rd round pick (they blew it by not accepting that 2nd + 4th offer last year)
Granlund = 3rd or 4th round pick
Pouliot = future considerations / 7th round pick
Sutter retained = 2nd round pick.

Would be great to shed all that garbage and go into the draft with so many extra picks.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Trade Guddy
Trade Granlund
Trade pouliot

I don't see it as an issue provided they are on separate pairs. What we need to a big RHD to play with Hughes. When injuries happen Stecher can be matched up with Edler, if we ever get to the point of having to play Stecher with Hughes we are screwed anyway, we will have lost Edler & Tanev and the new RHD 2nd pairing guy, even then Hughes can be paired with someone else.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Trading Hutton would be a mistake. Stecher and him form a great top four pairing. If they insist on bringing back both Tanev and Edler we know they're both going to miss a good 20 games or so a season. We need guys who can play up the lineup -- and Jim hasn't really had a lot of luck in finding guys in that area.

For me Hutton-Stecher is the 3rd pairing the Canucks should be looking to build around. Two guys that can play up to the 2nd pairing if needed, two guys that can eat 18-20min, two guys that can put up 20 points. Edler-Tanev take the main match up, Hughes-RHD take the o-zone starts/PP, Hutton-Stecher fill the gaps.

Reactions: alternate

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
We’re going be a buyer and we aren’t gonna be trading anyone except maybe Goldobin.

The Marcus Johansson rumours have legs IMO.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Roland McKeown is the only rational ask I have for a deadline target. He is waiver eligible next season. Trade Goldy and be done tormenting the poor kid. We are not going to do anything with even a moderate amount of foresight.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Trade Guddy
Trade Granlund
Trade pouliot

I don’t get why you can’t have both Quinn and Troy.
Both are very mobile with good vision and skill, he’ll they can play as a pairing and be fine.
You are overrrating size

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
We’re going be a buyer and we aren’t gonna be trading anyone except maybe Goldobin.

The Marcus Johansson rumours have legs IMO.
. I've been comparing this to the 2006 deadline for weeks now.

A few minor trades for some depth veterans and then miss the playoffs anyway.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
. I've been comparing this to the 2006 deadline for weeks now.

A few minor trades for some depth veterans and then miss the playoffs anyway.

Yup. Exactly like that.

They aren’t going to move any high picks or top prospects for anyone who actually moves the needle. But are desperate to make the playoffs.

So we’ll bleed some assets for some kinda bad veteran players who’ve been around for 500 games and then, as you say, miss the playoffs anyway.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Jimbo can somehow trade Gudbranson and Sutter at this TDL without taking back any salary, they'll be erecting a statue of him on Pat Quinn Way.

'Foundational players' who as it turns out were built in quicksand.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I would sell high on Hutton. It wasn't long ago some were talking about putting him on waivers or not qualifying him after the season.

Those people were idiots though. We have no defense. Trading one of our few good ones is absurd.

Reactions: Wo Yorfat

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
The whole "don't trade picks with the draft in Vancouver" thing is exceptionally stupid, by the way. Nobody except us nerds give two shits about any pick but the first one.

Reactions: Pip

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Anyone who gets their hopes up for this is a sucker. Benning might be the worst trade deadline GM of all time.

meh he isn't good at it but he is more boring then anything. not close to the worst though.

Baertschi for 2nd
Granlund for Shinkaruk
Larsen for 5th
Dahlen for Burrows
Goldobin + 4th for Hansen
Motte + Jokinen for Vanek
Leipsic for Holm

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
meh he isn't good at it but he is more boring then anything. not close to the worst though.

Baertschi for 2nd
Granlund for Shinkaruk
Larsen for 5th
Dahlen for Burrows
Goldobin + 4th for Hansen
Motte + Jokinen for Vanek
Leipsic for Holm

Its what he doesn't do that makes him so bad at it. He's had three deadlines where he should be selling and has basically nothing to show for it.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Trade Guddy
Trade Granlund
Trade pouliot

All 3 of those guys were players you loved and coveted and defended and now you want them traded for picks. Lol.

And now you want to trade Stecher to sell high on him because “we can’t have to many small defensemen”. Never mind the fact that him and Hutton are the only 2 decent healthy dmen left.

Maybe one day you’ll see the forest for the trees

Reactions: Billy Kvcmu

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'd die.

they traded multiple 2nds
a 3rd
a 4th

just look at the catapulting of picks during that period.

History of NHL trades by the Vancouver Canucks - NHL Trade Tracker

The dumbest thing about that trade deadline was that the team was actually playing pretty well heading into it and had been on a 14-8 run since early January despite injury troubles on the blueline. A rookie Kevin Bieksa was showing really well and Steve McCarthy was playing the best hockey of his life.

So Nonis decide to trade McCarthy, send Bieksa to the pressbox (the few games he played late that season were on wing) and acquire old crap players who were worse than what we had.

A pile of draft picks down the drain and the new guys put up a 46 0-1-1 -21 statline as the team plummeted out of a playoff position.

Pure Jim Benning from Dave Nonis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad