Trade Deadline - 02.25.2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Thomas Vanek :sarcasm:, probably Jannik Hansen, Jussi Jokinen (had a good run after the deadline last year), Benoit Pouliot was an option, Mark Letestu for a bottom-six, right-handed center, or Riley Sheahan was also out there. Toby Enstrom would have been a serviceable depth defense option.

Would any of these guys really be any worse than Beagle/Schaller? And they'd come with way less investment. Considering they're all either out of the NHL or on a cheap one-year deal, I think we can surmise that a decently priced, one-way, one-year NHL contract could have enticed them to the Canucks.

If any of them so much as hung around in the lineup until the deadline, we could probably have picked up some 5th-7th round picks, as evidenced by the MDZ/Nilsson deals.

Thanks for replying.

From my perspective:
Thomas Vanek didn't want to sign here, and signed for 3 million. Not cheap and not here. And 3 years ago got traded for a 4th- and since, it has been reported could not return any picks. But I think on a cheap one way deal, I agree he would have been better than some of our plugs!!!

I would have accepted Riley Sheehan. 2.1 on a one year deal- maybe. But I highly doubt he would have come here. Why would he?

Jannik H and Jussi Joking are no longer NHL level players. Nobody would give us a pick for them now. Tobi Enstrom is now playing in the second their in Sweden. Not an NHL player any longer. Nobody was going to give any value for him and loads could have had him for free. Mark Latest has played 2 NHL games this year. We are thinking that somebody would give us a pick for him at the deadline if he was on our roster? No chance.

I know you thought you gave some good examples. The criteria is, 1 year, cheap, veteran, with enough value to be traded at the deadline for picks, and willing to come to Vancouver. Don't see any hits yet. But thanks for the exchange

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Benning has said he is only interested in a hockey deal.

They have already married themselves to Edler now his agent just has to bend over Benning because he wasn't clever enough to negotiate now instead of later.

Were simply not getting a top6 top4 for our 25+ vets and that includes Markstrom and Tanev who we just cannot afford to move anyway as it is a huge cliff and a mystery box behind them.

Virtanen Gaudette Leivo Hutton Stecher all look to have positive futures and would be unwise to trade without overpayment IMO.

Granlund Goldobin Gudbranson and Sutter are the obvious choices but extracting value is a hope and a prayer.

Some names i would be interested in for the right price as potential top6

Robby Fabbri STL Andre Burakovsky WAS Oliver Bjorkstrand CBJ

also Brendan Perlini CHI is really struggling this year but he can really skate and shoot the puck would be a good LW3 if he can get his game together.

Sure would have been nice if Sutter was playing well and could have gone to MIN in that Niederreiter trade. Thats what i'm looking for.

Thoughts?

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
The post that was referred to was actually a response to my post (post #77) which said this:

"...when I read these kinds of posts (We could just sign a cheap short term replacement for...XYZ), I am left to wonder which cheap, 1 year contract veterans would have been available and willing to sign in Vancouver that would have garnered interest in teams willing to give us mid round picks at this deadline?
Do we have some realistic suggestions about who these mysterious signings could have been?"

A poster then replied asking for proof that they would sign in Vancouver- which we could not get, not doubt. Aside from the "PROOF" part that the poster used to add to my post; what exactly was ridiculous from the question I asked above?

I am a little surprised that you took such a huge leap from my question of "Do we have some realistic suggestions about which veterans would sign here for cheap 1 year contracts" to the leap that first, a group is demanding incontrovertible proof. Second, you then take an even bigger leap to if you can't find this proof (which could never be found for obvious reasons) that this means the belief is we should just accept that the team took the best possible action. These are both completely absurd leaps that are in no way bound by any argument presented in what you were mocking.

Kind of shocked that a data guy would take such ridiculous leaps and make claims about other's views based on absolute BS. Yours is a straw man anti smoking gun BS claim. Try answering the question and Reasonably argue which cheap 1 year veterans may have singed in Vancouver that we could return us several mid round picks, which was the original question, if you disagree with the position behind the question.

Hint: We would not be able to point to very many signings of this sort that Vancouver may have been able to make, if any, in my view. Therefore, what might be the point of pissing and moaning that we didn't do something that we very likely could not have done anyway. And this fact in no way makes assertions that anything or everything the team is doing is the right thing. It only and separately questions the statement we could have done something very specific that we did not do.

This is so long. I wasn’t responding to you pal, relax.

The problem though is the slippery slope it leads us down. The more specific you get, the easier it is for the tree arguers to explain why this player or that player specifically wouldn’t work. The point gets easily lost. If you have a 10%chance of getting a player, and there are 10 such players the odds are still in your favour to get one, but posters on here will spend hours on each individual one explaining why that one in particular was unlikely,even though that was never in dispute. It gets tiresome and we've seen it repeatedly from certain posters who will nitpick details like this ad infinitum while missing the broader argument.

I didn’t have a problem with what you said though, and didn’t reply to it,so relax.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He doesn’t seem to understand that it’s better to get more value in pick form now and that those picks can be used for ‘hockey deals’ later rather than just trying for a ‘hockey deal’ now when teams making the playoffs and those missing the playoffs are looking for completely different things.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
He doesn’t seem to understand that it’s better to get more value in pick form now and that those picks can be used for ‘hockey deals’ later rather than just trying for a ‘hockey deal’ now when teams making the playoffs and those missing the playoffs are looking for completely different things.

Indeed. Sadly, Benning's MO seems to be to target the guy he likes and to pay what he must, then double down when it comes time to renew their contract

(He's improved *somewhat* but I still don't view him as the strongest negotiator....)

The kind of foresight you're talking about simply isn't a strength of his

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Could you find me an example of that narrative? I am guessing it is there somewhere, but I am not clear what you are speaking of. Please point to it specifically? Thanks

Check the Gudbranson thread, the management thread or Sutter thread. Every 2 pages you have a good example of this.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Don’t get your hopes up... JB may not make a single trade. Which to be honest might be the right “move”. Stand-pat. Think we are about a year out on making a serious playoff push. This year is just a bonus.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Thanks for replying.

From my perspective:
Thomas Vanek didn't want to sign here, and signed for 3 million. Not cheap and not here. And 3 years ago got traded for a 4th- and since, it has been reported could not return any picks. But I think on a cheap one way deal, I agree he would have been better than some of our plugs!!!

I would have accepted Riley Sheehan. 2.1 on a one year deal- maybe. But I highly doubt he would have come here. Why would he?

Jannik H and Jussi Joking are no longer NHL level players. Nobody would give us a pick for them now. Tobi Enstrom is now playing in the second their in Sweden. Not an NHL player any longer. Nobody was going to give any value for him and loads could have had him for free. Mark Latest has played 2 NHL games this year. We are thinking that somebody would give us a pick for him at the deadline if he was on our roster? No chance.

I know you thought you gave some good examples. The criteria is, 1 year, cheap, veteran, with enough value to be traded at the deadline for picks, and willing to come to Vancouver. Don't see any hits yet. But thanks for the exchange

Because they are. Jokinen, Pouliot and Letestu were alll bottom-of-the lineup calibre players. I mean, we're paying Beagle and Scaheller multi-year deals for similar performance. Letestu is right-handed and has a history of playing both special teams. You literally just shovel him into our roster and someone will trade for him. Teams were trading for Cody Mcleod for cripes sakes. Enstrom was still an impactful defenseman last season by defensive metrics. Jannik might not be an NHL calibre player anymore, but he also did not get much rope with Deboer in SJ. That's the only name I listed that I think maybe wouldn't qualify, but I also feel he'd perform better in Vancouver as well.

I'm still quite confident that most, if not all, of the names I listed could have been flipped for some kind of pick. Teams trade picks for scrap players all the time. That we got a a 7th round pick out of constant healthy scratch (and all-around poor defensively) MDZ speaks to that.

Thanks for being condescending, but I did list some decent, realistic examples. There were legitimate alternatives. And even if we couldn't flip them for picks, we still end up in a better situation because we can waive them cap-hit free or let them walk at season's end. That is not an option for Beagle/Schaller.

Reactions: mathonwy and MarkMM

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Because they are. Jokinen, Pouliot and Letestu were alll bottom-of-the lineup calibre players. I mean, we're paying Beagle and Scaheller multi-year deals for similar performance. Letestu is right-handed and has a history of playing both special teams. You literally just shovel him into our roster and someone will trade for him. Teams were trading for Cody Mcleod for cripes sakes. Enstrom was still an impactful defenseman last season by defensive metrics. Jannik might not be an NHL calibre player anymore, but he also did not get much rope with Deboer in SJ. That's the only name I listed that I think maybe wouldn't qualify, but I also feel he'd perform better in Vancouver as well.

I'm still quite confident that most, if not all, of the names I listed could have been flipped for some kind of pick. Teams trade picks for scrap players all the time. That we got a a 7th round pick out of constant healthy scratch (and all-around poor defensively) MDZ speaks to that.

Thanks for being condescending, but I did list some decent, realistic examples. There were legitimate alternatives. And even if we couldn't flip them for picks, we still end up in a better situation because we can waive them cap-hit free or let them walk at season's end. That is not an option for Beagle/Schaller.

Sorry, I truly wasn't trying t be condescending. I didn't mean it to come across that way. I meant thank you for trying to engage in a real conversation about it.

Happy Family day!

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops

I don't understand his mentality at all, especially given the successful developments of Gaudette (5th), Madden (3rd), Hutton (5th) that if you give Brackett more 3rd, 4th and 5th rounders we could get more success stories (opportunity at the very least). In 2-3 years we could be primed to compete but if we continue to load up on picks we might be able to complete for 2-3 years longer, especially given this guy loves age gaps we might want to start prepping for the future "age gaps".

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I honestly think that is too complicated for him to process. I'm not trying to be mean but his words AND actions show that he is not a guy that can think a couple moves ahead, or plan for the future. He sees a hole and he has to plug it with something. Thats why we have so many round pegs stuck in square holes.
And to be honest, we all want Gudbranson/Schaller/Sutter traded, but bottom line players with expensive multi years deals will not be sought after at TDL. Teams want rental on expiring contracts. So maybe wait till next year for Sutter and Schaller, 2021 for Gudbranson, and 2022 for Eriksson. Until then enjoy their time with your Vancouver Canucks!

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I don't expect much to happen. Maybe we will move out one of the guys that's not working out for us on a minor deal and that's about it.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
If Edler and Tanev are out for a while I could see them making a minor move or two for some fringe defensemen.

Last edited:

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
I'm more comfortable than normal going into this deadline. I don't think JB will trade any of the future core guys, and after them it's mostly junk and bad contracts. JB also seems firm on not trading away any of our picks (thank god).

For the most part the less than happens with our club the better...

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I bet Benning makes a minor minor move, but one that will be all in all a decent trade, those who support Benning will parade the acquition around, those who hate him will berate the player and prop up the one we traded....... at the end of the day it’s a nothing for nothing deal. The Canucks are no better and no worse than before

Edler and Tanev being out will drop us in the standings, we will end the season drafting around 8th spot.

Mediocrity at its best

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I've been watching AHL lately on the NHL Network. There's a ton of guys down there I would love to pluck for this organization.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Honey badger bled Canuck colors for almost 10 years and would have been an outstanding add to our bottom 6.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Honey badger bled Canuck colors for almost 10 years and would have been an outstanding add to our bottom 6.

I'm of that opinion too. He was a good soldier for us.

I find it hard to believe his hockey-playing ability would immediately and catastrophically implode one off-season after being traded.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm of that opinion too. He was a good soldier for us.

I find it hard to believe his hockey-playing ability would immediately and catastrophically implode one off-season after being traded.

As terribly as his time in SJ went, he still had 21 points in 61 games there (all ES, in limited minutes). That’s a 28-point/82 game ES pace.

That’s nearly double the rate of Markus Granlund. In fewer minutes. While being a better defensive player. And somehow it got him drummed out of the league.

Reactions: bossram

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Like, imagine being a Canucks fan and referring to Alex Burrows and Jannik Hansen as "worthless junk." It boggles the mind. Especially from someone who loses his mind when people say mean things about Markus Granlund.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Benning has said he is only interested in a hockey deal.

They have already married themselves to Edler now his agent just has to bend over Benning because he wasn't clever enough to negotiate now instead of later.

Were simply not getting a top6 top4 for our 25+ vets and that includes Markstrom and Tanev who we just cannot afford to move anyway as it is a huge cliff and a mystery box behind them.

Virtanen Gaudette Leivo Hutton Stecher all look to have positive futures and would be unwise to trade without overpayment IMO.

Granlund Goldobin Gudbranson and Sutter are the obvious choices but extracting value is a hope and a prayer.

Some names i would be interested in for the right price as potential top6

Robby Fabbri STL Andre Burakovsky WAS Oliver Bjorkstrand CBJ

also Brendan Perlini CHI is really struggling this year but he can really skate and shoot the puck would be a good LW3 if he can get his game together.

Sure would have been nice if Sutter was playing well and could have gone to MIN in that Niederreiter trade. Thats what i'm looking for.

Thoughts?
I mean.. even the most average of intelligence people can assess a good time to buy low and when to sell high.

This guy constantly holds onto assets until they’ve been destroyed of all value.

He’s the equivalent of a guy being offered $10k for a used crappy car and refusing. Only to come back a week later after he’s smashed the car into a pole and amazed the deal isn’t there anymore.

Reactions: Canucks5551
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad