Trade Datsyuk this season!

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Who gives a crap.
Should the wings have traded Yzerman or Lidstrom?

Of course not, because every year with them we were on a playoff hunt.

There's value to keeping a true Flame like Iginla or true Wings like Datsyuk.

If there's 15 games left of the season at the trade deadline, and we are out of the playoff race (season 2013-14), and we know Pavel moves after season back to Russia, are those 15 games, maybe a month playing with the youngsters the difference? Really worth of not trading him?

Loyalty to your players? Or loyalty to your fans?

IMO, the idea of lifelong Red Wings is still appealing to many Wings fans.

Yzerman. Lidstrom. Draper and Maltby (for the most part). Zetterberg. Datsyuk. Kronwall.

These guys should be life-long Wings.

Nothing prevents him being a part of Wings organization after his move to Russia. Just like Lidström got a job.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Meh, this is a business and loyalty doesn't buy you what it used to 20 years ago.

Yep loyalty is nice but you cant be loyal to every single player that ever does well for the team anymore. Zetterberg will stick around, Lidstrom got to go out on his own terms etc. The loyalty factor sure didnt help Detroit land Suter or Parise this off season. This whole rebuild is something that has to be considered.

Its not like the wings dont have young guys ready to play soon. Smith, Nyquist and Jarnkrok are solid. You tank for a year or two and maybe add a Sean Monahan or something this year with your own pick, plus get another pick in the first round from a trade. You aso potentially get an awesome young forward that has star potential.

Between Howard and Mrazek the wings will have a goalie ready for the time the team is ready to contend again, they have at least one stud dman in Smith, possibly Ouellet, add some good young forwards to go along with Nyquist, Jarnkrok, Tatar. I would be excited to watch a really young up and coming team

RedWingsNow*

Of course not, because every year with them we were on a playoff hunt.

If there's 15 games left of the season at the trade deadline, and we are out of the playoff race (season 2013-14), and we know Pavel moves after season back to Russia, are those 15 games, maybe a month playing with the youngsters the difference? Really worth of not trading him?

I don't see these Red Wings not being in the playoff hunt.
They might fail to make it. But they'll be in striking distance.

I don't think you trade Pavel Datsyuk. But that's me.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
:shakehead people in this thread suggesting that we honestly trade Datsyuk.

It's the BIG IF. If we are out of the playoff race at season 2013-14 at the trade deadline. THEN. MAYBE.

No any other cases we definitely won't even consider it. But then it's the possible time to consider, IF we have a bad season.

AND

IF we know he Pavel gone from NHL after that. If he is not sure, then we should keep him.

So far we haven't had a bad season for 20 years so these tradings have been out of discussions.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Penguins are always interested in wingers. What would you want for him, or is this one of those ones where I haven't seen him a lot lately and little do I know he's completely shot?

Yeah, I wouldn't be opposed to someone like Despres+ either if it appeared that he was able to play the shutdown role well but then you guys don't really have a reason to trade him then as he could replace Orpik.

If D is what you'd be looking to trade for, and the Penguins were the target, you'd have to take Martin's $5M hit as part of the deal, and possibly using the new CBA arrangements, you'd even have to continue to absorb some of Datsyuk's hit. Not like he'll be cheap when he signs his final contract. :) Despres would likely be available as part of that (as much as he is part of our immediate future in building the D), for a player of Datsyuk's caliber.

I think maybe the only D prospects of ours you wouldn't have a shot at, are Morrow and Pouliot. So Despres, Maatta, Harrington all possibilities. Harrington strikes me as a Red Wings type player based on what I know of him, but mgmt is extremely high on the kid so don't know if he'd be available or not. Doubt Morrow or Pouliot would be available to any team...

Martin's an upgrade and a top 4 guy, given who you have out there now, but he's $5M/yr as noted. Letang is going to get a big raise so even with this setup I'm not sure Dats' salary would fit the Penguins' plan.

Also I don't know what kind of workout regimen he's on but looking at guys like Jagr and Whitney, why wouldn't Dats be able to be VERY productive for another 4 years at least? I don't know... if you guys were thinking rebuild I'd be thinking who better for a stud F prospect to learn from than Pavel Datsyuk? I always pictured him retiring a Red Wing but what do I know?

That said I would have no problems at all fielding this lineup in the playoffs:

Dats - Sid - Dupuis
Kunitz - Geno - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - TK

Send him over ASAP!
:thumbu:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We get blown out in one game and the solution is we should trade our best player?

You people are losing your mind...

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
We get blown out in one game and the solution is we should trade our best player?

You people are losing your mind...

As an outsider that was sort of my initial reaction too. He's only 35... plenty of gas in the tank. But yah, feel free to send him our way. :laugh:

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
As an outsider that was sort of my initial reaction too. He's only 35... plenty of gas in the tank.

Plenty of gas, but will he burn it in Detroit?

If we were one or two pieces from contending again or if Pav had expressed any desire to extend his contract this thread would not exist.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If D is what you'd be looking to trade for, and the Penguins were the target, you'd have to take Martin's $5M hit as part of the deal, and possibly using the new CBA arrangements, you'd even have to continue to absorb some of Datsyuk's hit. Not like he'll be cheap when he signs his final contract. :) Despres would likely be available as part of that (as much as he is part of our immediate future in building the D), for a player of Datsyuk's caliber.

I think maybe the only D prospects of ours you wouldn't have a shot at, are Morrow and Pouliot. So Despres, Maatta, Harrington all possibilities. Harrington strikes me as a Red Wings type player based on what I know of him, but mgmt is extremely high on the kid so don't know if he'd be available or not. Doubt Morrow or Pouliot would be available to any team...

Martin's an upgrade and a top 4 guy, given who you have out there now, but he's $5M/yr as noted. Letang is going to get a big raise so even with this setup I'm not sure Dats' salary would fit the Penguins' plan.

Also I don't know what kind of workout regimen he's on but looking at guys like Jagr and Whitney, why wouldn't Dats be able to be VERY productive for another 4 years at least? I don't know... if you guys were thinking rebuild I'd be thinking who better for a stud F prospect to learn from than Pavel Datsyuk? I always pictured him retiring a Red Wing but what do I know?

That said I would have no problems at all fielding this lineup in the playoffs:

Dats - Sid - Dupuis
Kunitz - Geno - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - TK

Send him over ASAP!
:thumbu:

It isn't a bad attempt, but the Wings would have to be very high on Martin. They don't need to take pieces they don't want in any Datsyuk trade. While the Pens certainly have the D prospects that would interest them if this ever unfolded, my guess is they will get a better offer then the Pens would table. Because they will get a useful NHL player and prospects. While Martin is better than the guy constantly run down around here, I still it would have to be more significant than that. Trading him this year at the deadline wouldn't make Datsyuk a rental. You get a full post-season and additional year, that is going to be a big package.

But like a lot of people I agree that Ken Holland and the Wings don't do business this way. Just saying I wouldn't be angry if they looked hard at this situation and did make that very tough call. If that is what they have to do, that is what they should do, despite how angry some of the big Datsyuk fans would be and it being a departure from how the Wings organization has operated for the last several years.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I am torn.

I realize the obvious bonus trading Datsyuk would have.

Basically we take back a big/bad contract and 3-4 prospects, or 1 major prospect and 2 first round picks. Basically We would need the Kessel deal with even more prospects. I could see how that makes our team stronger.....

BUT..

I am on Captain Bob, and Cyborg Yzerman's side on this one.

I would prefer he stays a Red Wing.

I know our team will be weaker if they retire here... but still. I like that Yzerman is a pure Red Wing. I like that Lidstrom was a pure Red Wing.

We have had Datsyuk forever. I want to remember him as a pure Red Wing as well.

Last night's game was very ugly. If this continues for 1.5 months, and we are 15th, BELOW CLB, and already elimanated from the playoffs... we will see how i feel about this subject area then.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
This Red Wings team is not a contender, and the problems are so widespread and so fundamental that the Wings will not become a contender without being rebuilt. The sooner the Wings face the music and recognize that brutal fact, the better.

This assessment is based on ONE game! Geez, Louise, lay off the panic button!

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Last night's game was very ugly. If this continues for 1.5 months, and we are 15th, BELOW CLB, and already elimanated from the playoffs... we will see how i feel about this subject area then.

It won't. It can't. The Wings are too good a team for that to happen.

Datsyuk will remain a Wing as long as he wants too... as it should be.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Doesn't the new CBA pretty much crap all over this idea anyway? I thought it was toxic to trade lifetime contracts (Franzen, Zetterberg, Datsyuk) now because the Wings would still have to take a cap hit or something along those lines at the end of the deal, effectively handcuffing them at an unknown point in the future if a player retires (or not) before the contract ends.

I'm not going to profess to know all the ins and outs of this though.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Doesn't the new CBA pretty much crap all over this idea anyway? I thought it was toxic to trade lifetime contracts (Franzen, Zetterberg, Datsyuk) now because the Wings would still have to take a cap hit or something along those lines at the end of the deal, effectively handcuffing them at an unknown point in the future if a player retires (or not) before the contract ends.

I'm not going to profess to know all the ins and outs of this though.

Datsyuk doesn't have one of those, so you're really off base with that as your reasoning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad