Proposal: Trade Bob and use the cap space to improve D

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
If the Jackets have an opportunity to trade Bob with no salary retention and a minor pick/prospect in return this off season, then they should go for it. This off season is the window to move him.

If he starts poorly next season or is injured, then it's another $7.4 million of dead cap space for the next 3 years.

Agree with you on this . Korpi is the better goalie , 1/7th of the price , and injury free , knock on wood . Plus , the mental part of his game may be his greatest asset , which is remarkable for a 21 year old goalie

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Agree with you on this . Korpi is the better goalie , 1/7th of the price , and injury free , knock on wood . Plus , the mental part of his game may be his greatest asset , which is remarkable for a 21 year old goalie

Amazing analysis of a guy who has 30 games under his belt.

Besides, if we were able to dump bob with no retention (good luck with that), what would we have in net? Korpi and Cmac or Forsberg? Pull somebody's scraps in? It's like people don't learn around here.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Korpi's mental game? When Bob first dominated everyone marveled at his mental strength. You don't know whether a goalie has a great mental game until you see him play for years, in all the ups and downs.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Bob is = Cam Ward

That's our fear, but we obviously don't know that and it will take a lot more to prove that. Ward hasn't hit .918 since 2011. Bob did it each year before this year.

It's not a story of secular decline for Bob, at least not yet. His .940 month earlier this year showed that. The injury risk is really the bigger factor.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
A good planting season doesn't assure a great harvest.

images

We are CBJ fans, we settle.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If Buffalo wants to compete next year, I could see them being interested. Same with Carolina

2 excellent options. Both teams have plenty of cap room and particularly room concerning each's goalie position. Buffalo has $2.25 committed to Robin Lehner for next year, the last of his contract. They have no other contracted goalies for next season. Carolina has $2.75 million/year on Eddie Lack with 2 years remaining on his deal after this season. Cam Ward's deal ends this year.

Bob is in a decline. His trend line is awful.

Vezina......(2.00 gaa/.932 save)
13-14.....(2.38/.923)
14-15.....(2.69/.918)
15-16....(2.72/.909)

The Jackets have to bite the bullet and dump contract somewhere. The team is not going to be able to dump Tyutin or Clarkson or probably Foligno. They are stuck like chuck with these horrid deals.

To get any cap room-which is vital to becoming a competitive team-a player with a huge contract who is viewed as an asset will have to be traded. Those players would be Saad and Dubinsky. In the absence of trading either of these two, the next two in line to be realistically moved are Hartnell and Bob. The problem is that both have rapidly declining value. This summer is the window for both of these players. Once next season starts, the ability to ship either of these players will diminish greatly if either gets off to a slow start or is injured. Saad can be moved easily for years and Dubinsky for probably another year or two.

I am in the camp that Bob's best days are in his rear view mirror. He hasn't played injured-he's been injured and then shelved immediately. He peaked early, as many players do, got rewarded contractually and hasn't come remotely close to living up to his huge salary. Still, he's a goalie who is young enough and has had a good enough stretch this season that someone might bite without requiring salary retention. While Korpisalo might slump and the current back up to him might not be ideal, this team has failed miserably with Bob for the past two years. At what point does the risk of him staying outweigh the risk of him being moved? That is the million dollar (25 million actually) question. I say that point has been reached.

I say make hay while the sun is still partially shining on Bob. Move him this summer.

Last edited:

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I am not ready to give up on Bob just yet.

The biggest reason for that is I would like to see him playing behind a good defense. One the guy can feel confident with.

I think there has been way to much pressure put on him, as there would have been put on any goalie to bail out a terrible D corps. Admittedly, Bob gets off to horrible starts, and seems to have brittle groins. Those issues need to be addressed. But when Bob gets into his zone, he is very, very good.

I think with Korpi, Bob is not relied upon to make so many starts, as he is with CMac as his back-up. He can share starts with Korpi to keep both fresh, and both sharp.

I see the future goalie tandem as Korpi and Forsberg. But until then, Bob will be the guy.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
2 excellent options. Both teams have plenty of cap room and particularly room concerning each's goalie position. Buffalo has $2.25 committed to Robin Lehner for next year, the last of his contract. They have no other contracted goalies for next season. Carolina has $2.75 million/year on Eddie Lack with 2 years remaining on his deal after this season. Cam Ward's deal ends this year.

13-14.....(2.38/.923)
14-15.....(2.69/.918)
15-16....(2.72/.909)

The Jackets have to bite the bullet and dump contract somewhere. The team is not going to be able to dump Tyutin or Clarkson or probably Foligno. They are stuck like chuck with these horrid deals.

To get any cap room-which is vital to becoming a competitive team-a player with a huge contract who is viewed as an asset will have to be traded. Those players would be Saad and Dubinsky. In the absence of trading either of these two, the next two in line to be realistically moved are Hartnell and Bob. The problem is that both have rapidly declining value. This summer is the window for both of these players. Once next season starts, the ability to ship either of these players will diminish greatly if either gets off to a slow start or is injured. Saad can be moved easily for years and Dubinsky for probably another year or two.

I am in the camp that Bob's best days are in his rear view mirror. He hasn't played injured-he's been injured and then shelved immediately. He peaked early, as many players do, got rewarded contractually and hasn't come remotely close to living up to his huge salary. Still, he's a goalie who is young enough and has had a good enough stretch this season that someone might bite without requiring salary retention. While Korpisalo might slump and the current back up to him might not be ideal, this team has failed miserably with Bob for the past two years. At what point does the risk of him staying outweigh the risk of him being moved? That is the million dollar (25 million actually) question. I say that point has been reached.

I say make hay while the sun is still partially shining on Bob. Move him this summer.

I don't think you're suggesting it, but if you are saying trade Saad, that is so dumb. One of if not the best player on our team. Retain about 2 mill and then see what the offers are.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus

13-14.....(2.38/.923)
14-15.....(2.69/.918)
15-16....(2.72/.909)

Is it though? I feel like his value is as low as it can go given his injury history and contract term presently. I am of the opinion we should ride Bob out one more year in the hopes he can play/get healthy. Given Korpi's solid play, and hopefully he continues to improve, ride that tandem for a year or so and then shop Bob.

I also think using 2 injury filled years as indicators that he peaked young is misguided, but they are what they are. I'd like more time to see if Korpi can keep it up, and see what happens with bob. We probably aren't a playoff team next year anyways so lets see if he can get healthy and increase his value. I think waiting a year leaves us pretty much the same options we have now, with the chance that they actually could improve.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Bob's contract is not an asset. I just can't see us getting anything valuable back for him. In best case I think we look for a team with an overpaid 1C and look for a swap.
Now if someone would just take Bob and his contract - then yes trade him. I have no idea what Korpi will be in the future, but to freee up cap space it would be worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad