Proposal: Trade Bob and use the cap space to improve D

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I'm guessing that this topic has certainly been discussed of late in the front office. I think this is an interesting question and I would have to think that in the right deal (yes, I know that's the catch) the FO would have to consider making a move.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
No. No you can't. The goaltender market is voodoo..

With this I'm done. Crap goalies trade hands all the time; good goalies are always in demand. If they want to trade C-Mac they could move him pretty easily, as an example. Goalies are one of the easiest assets to move.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
With this I'm done. Crap goalies trade hands all the time; good goalies are always in demand. If they want to trade C-Mac they could move him pretty easily, as an example. Goalies are one of the easiest assets to move.
Not for reasonable value, they aren't.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Knock knock. Its the repo man coming after Bobrovski's cap hit.

61xB6z5kefL.jpg

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
While I understand the desire to ship out Bob, I think you have to wait until next year to do it, if at all. First, if Bob is given the year to rehab the chronic groin condition it may become more infrequent ala lhetonen. Secondly, we haven't seen Bob behind a decent defense...ever. All of Korpisalo's admittedly impressive work has been behind a D with Murray-Jones as its anchor, perhaps when Bob comes back we see a significant improvement in his numbers, additionally a better D likely means fewer injuries because he is forced to make fewer desperation saves. Finally, as other have mentioned having a 1a/1b is oftentimes the best way to go.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Craig Morgan ‏@craigsmorgan 4m4 minutes ago
Don Maloney said its fair to say G Anders Lindback is out for the season.

they need a goalie... :sarcasm:

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016
While I find Bob's situation amazingly frustrating...I am 0% interested in moving him right now. The reality is if you do that and put your chips on Korp he could just as easily go down and you're in no better shape at that position. The cap argument is a valid one, but the key is to make it a position of depth. You don't trade one good goaltender just because you have another unless it's necessary and atm it isn't. Might it be later? Yes, and I get that. Right now, however...if Bob can be healthy he's still the #1 guy and he's done nothing (except have the groin from hell) to make me think otherwise. If Korp continues to play well and somehow manages to start taking starts away from Bob next season...then it is time to look at this topic.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Not for reasonable value, they aren't.

You might want to fact check that. One that easily comes to mind is the Halak. I don't remember Miller costing all that much either (considering he wasn't far removed from a Vezina himself) - they actually went lateral in the initial transaction. Luongo didn't demand much either. I've seen a few goalies traded the last three years or so and I don't remember them being all that over priced; feel free to illustrate your point.

I wasn't suggesting trying to acquire someone like Rask or Lundqvist after all.

I am positively amazed how it gets in our minds that there is no possible way to do something fairly trivial.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You might want to fact check that. One that easily comes to mind is the Halak. I don't remember Miller costing all that much either (considering he wasn't far removed from a Vezina himself) - they actually went lateral in the initial transaction. Luongo didn't demand much either. I've seen a few goalies traded the last three years or so and I don't remember them being all that over priced; feel free to illustrate your point.

I wasn't suggesting trying to acquire someone like Rask or Lundqvist after all.

I am positively amazed how it gets in our minds that there is no possible way to do something fairly trivial.

:rolleyes: I'm talking about us moving Bob, not acquiring a replacement.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
:rolleyes: I'm talking about us moving Bob, not acquiring a replacement.

And yet all this talk I had of getting Bob's value back up seemed to be lost. I'm just not sure you are following or even trying.

I've been running with the premise that most goalies aren't worth the money they are given (when they get over about 5 million). Broduer was the last of the greats; what we've had since then are poor substitutes. There are some good ones, but nothing I consider one to build a franchise around - meaning I think they are all replaceable. An easy example is the Blues never quite finding that goal tender they want despite years of well above statistical play there. A Crawford probably makes the HoF because if winning the cup a few times; but he's replaceable. The statically leaders in goal are filled with a lot of guys that had below average careers before landing on good team and guys that we're fairly unknown until recently. We've seen quite a few unknowns take over the goal tending duties for under performing starters.

Either way I don't think Bob's value will ever return to what you think it should be. He's not one of the top 5 goalies in the league and he's only one of the top 10 for brief periods.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure there is a priority to improve anymore (D in this case). I think we're kind of well rounded and we're almost to the point of BPA. The area we have with the most elite to potential elite talent is probably on D.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I've been running with the premise that most goalies aren't worth the money they are given (when they get over about 5 million). Broduer was the last of the greats; what we've had since then are poor substitutes. There are some good ones, but nothing I consider one to build a franchise around - meaning I think they are all replaceable. An easy example is the Blues never quite finding that goal tender they want despite years of well above statistical play there. A Crawford probably makes the HoF because if winning the cup a few times; but he's replaceable. The statically leaders in goal are filled with a lot of guys that had below average careers before landing on good team and guys that we're fairly unknown until recently. We've seen quite a few unknowns take over the goal tending duties for under performing starters.

Either way I don't think Bob's value will ever return to what you think it should be. He's not one of the top 5 goalies in the league and he's only one of the top 10 for brief periods.

There are goalies who are worth a lot more than $5m to their clubs. Price, for example, is the difference between a good team and a bottom feeder. Nashville would be dominating the West right now if Rinne was in his prime. The Blues would be unstoppable if they had any of Schneider, Holtby, etc...

The odd thing about your argument is that this topic has only come up because we have the great fortune to have a rookie goalie who is winning some games for us. And rather than seeing that as a reason why good goalies are important, you're here arguing that they're all replaceable. There are a lot of teams that would love to be able to get good goaltending, but haven't had it for many years.

Last edited:

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
There are goalies who are worth a lot more than $5m to their clubs. Price, for example, is the difference between a good team and a bottom feeder. Nashville would be dominating the West right now if Rinne was in his prime.

Rinne wasn't in his prime last year either and he was about Vezina nominated or something on a possession-strong team... after his injury he was chosen as the top goalie in World Championship tournament again with bit lacking individual effort, kneeling before a low hanging deck. Surroundings.

Sure good goalie is an extra over mediocre option but all this talk about star players is twisted madness when nothing else matters but name on the jersey sold and cap hit bought.

Corey Crawford isn't the difference between a winner and a loser. Nor whatever maintenance moves the Blackhawks annually do to stay under max cap.

The game tells everything.

::

Korpisalo and Rask were trained on the same planet. Went to the same club. As did Kiprusoff and Norrena.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Crawford I get to an extent. When he's on the Hawks can go from good to great, but they're good either way. But Price? Do folks really think he's just "surroundings"?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
There are goalies who are worth a lot more than $5m to their clubs. Price, for example, is the difference between a good team and a bottom feeder. Nashville would be dominating the West right now if Rinne was in his prime. The Blues would be unstoppable if they had any of Schneider, Holtby, etc...

Price really isn't any better than a Lundqvist. There isn't much of a gap from 1-5 and even less from 6 to about 15.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Resurrecting this thread, simply because there is no where else to post this.

I am just damn sad with the developments with Bob. From everything we read, see, hear, he works crazy hard at preparing, is a Blue Jacket at heart every bit as much as Dubinsky (not a shot at Dubi), has monster skill-set but has had injury setbacks that seem to have crept into his confidence level as well. Not excusing his start to the season, it was bad.

But Bob has been the lovable piece of the core for my family (Dubi too but in a much different way). Just sad to see Bob's tenure with CBJ going the way it is. The Merzlikins post in another thread made me start thinking this way (great recent play). Maybe we are moving on from Bob to Korpi, etc.... I realize Bob probably gets camp and early next season to re-prove himself. But not liking the karma on this particular situation as we head into off-season. Maybe it is just the season coming to a close (mercifully), but just makes me sad. Wish I had something more constructive to say....

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If the Jackets have an opportunity to trade Bob with no salary retention and a minor pick/prospect in return this off season, then they should go for it. This off season is the window to move him.

If he starts poorly next season or is injured, then it's another $7.4 million of dead cap space for the next 3 years.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I'm not ready to give up on Bob. He's going to have images of Korpi breathing down his neck to push him this summer. Even if he is average next year, it might be good to keep him for the expansion draft. With all the big contracts having NMC's, we may need to expose him to reach the 25% salary cap limit (if that is the rule). Otherwise, we may end up having to expose someone like Saad.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The amount of "oh, but this time we [insert really risky action that has badly burned us before here] will be DIFFERENT" in this thread is really rather amazing. How many folks here advocating for Bob's trade and Korpisalo's elevation were kvetching long and loud about handing everything over to Steve Mason? And Mason at least had a Calder Trophy and a Vezina nomination as justification!

It's like when we look at history, we don't see bad actions, we instead insist that it was bad people, and now that we've "thrown the bums out" those same actions will be A-OK. It's ludicrous.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Korpi still needs position-work...2 of the goal he lets in on Monday were bad stick-work and positioning. He has insane athleticism but that's not going to be enough to sustain high-level play in the NHL. Let him sit behind Bob for a year or two and then take over when Bob turns 30/31 and is done (I don't see Bob being a Lundqvist kind of goalie into his mid-30's).

leleleopold

Jun 12, 2007
Columbus
I feel bad for Bob as well. I love the hugs as much as anyone. This thread is moot in that we are stuck with Bob (for better or for worse) for the foreseeable future.

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
My guess is that we don't move him but leave him unprotected in the expansion draft. Gives Korpi a year or two to develop, and I don't see anyone taking another play we would leave unprotected over Bob, nor do I see a better goalie being left unprotected.

. I don't think we'd get much in return on a trade without significant retention, and the cap space will probably be more valuable at that point anyway.

I could be wrong of course, stranger things have happened -- like the Prout resigning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad