Proposal: Trade Bob and use the cap space to improve D

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Korpi is looking better or at least consistently good as the games go by.

If a trade for Bob brought a couple of top prospects/cost controlled NHLer and a good draft choice what are the pros and cons in doing so and using the $ freed up to sign Shattenkirk or Yandle as a free agent?

Korpi could be a flash in the pan but dang a D of Jones-Murray, JJ-Savard,UFA-Golobouef, Werenski/Paliotta/Heatherington would look pretty darn strong.

Might not be able to sign the UFA, but if you could would you do it?

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Call me gun shy, the team wasted three plus seasons waiting for Mason to regain his ROY form. Not willing to rush to another rash decision. I am encouraged but no way am I ready to hand the keys over to Korpi. Maybe after next season if he is stellar as the backup but not before.

I realize JK and JD might have other ideas.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Call me gun shy, the team wasted three plus seasons waiting for Mason to regain his ROY form. Not willing to rush to another rash decision. I am encouraged but no way am I ready to hand the keys over to Korpi. Maybe after next season if he is stellar as the backup but not before.

I realize JK and JD might have other ideas.

I get your point but we are currently in year 3 of waiting for Bob to regain his Vezina form.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I like Bob, but I am sick of the yearly injuries. I would do this, but I don't see many teams clamoring to trade for Bob and his contract.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I wouldn't do it unless the return was massive. And I'm one of those folks who are completely sold on Korpi. This team could really use two great goalies, and I see Bob's value as more likely to improve over next year. We can return to this discussion then.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I'm surprised to find myself thinking this but I'm leaning toward agreeing with OP. I'm very bullish on Korpisalo.

I don't like the idea of installing him so quickly as the starter and counting on him to carry the team but he's very impressive. I also feel like his hockey pedigree sets him apart from the Mason example.

This kind of move feels a little reactionary but at the same time, good teams are bold and creative. I lean towards it working.

Edit: but mm's point above about waiting til next year sounds right

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
As much as I respect Bob and what he has done for the team, I would do it. If their weren't several boat anchor contracts, it wouldn't be necessary.

Doubtful another team would trade for him and give much of anything of value in addition with his track record. I guess getting his dollars back to be able to spend plus a pick or something similar would be pretty valuable in itself.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
No. Go into next season with a 1A/1B. Bob plays 40-50 games max and Korpi plays 30-40 games max. Creates competition for whose going to take games if there's any chance at a playoff series. Plus what happens if Korpi gets hurt? We're exactly where we were before he got called up.

Last edited:

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
No. Go into next season with a 1A/1B. Bob plays 40-50 games max and Korpi plays 30-40 games max. Creates competition for whose going to take games if there's any chance at a playoff series. Plus what happens if Korpi gets hurt? We're exactly where we were before he got called up.

This.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

I think this is what happens next year. If nhlnumbers.com is correct, Bob's actual salary is less than his cap hit starting in the '17-'18 season and makes him much more tradeable at that time if Korpisalo is ready to be the guy.

Korpisalo would also be a 23 year old RFA leading into that season who could be due for a nice raise and will get some of that money if he has shown over the course of the next 1+ season that he is ready to be the full time guy.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I think few things would need to happen before the Jackets should consider trading Bob: Korpisalo (or Forsberg) needs to become established as a #1 goalie for at least a couple of seasons. Bob would also need to be polished up and reduce GMs concerns over his injuries. I think if Bob and Korpisalo or Forsberg can split time next season ~ 40 games each, and Korpisalo can sustain his play at a high level, it's conceivable.

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
I think few things would need to happen before the Jackets should consider trading Bob: Korpisalo (or Forsberg) needs to become established as a #1 goalie for at least a couple of seasons. Bob would also need to be polished up and reduce GMs concerns over his injuries. I think if Bob and Korpisalo or Forsberg can split time next season ~ 40 games each, and Korpisalo can sustain his play at a high level, it's conceivable.

I agree with this. I don't think Bob is moveable until he has a solid, healthy season. Would love to see Vezina Bob return and have Korpisalo knocking on his door. Can we be that lucky?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'd do it if I was sure I could sign Shattenkirk (preferably) or Yandle as a FA. The addition of one of those two on a long term deal would solidify the D and give Korpi a bit of room to grow.

I doubt it happens though for many of the reasons stated above. Too bad I think it would be a good move.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Same thing seemed to happen to Bob in Philly - he had a great year and then a few years later he was traded. He showed us for one gleaming year what he could be - and he got paid for it. Since then he's had a few injuries (each year) and a lot of inconsistent play. Probably what he is always will be - occasionally great (maybe even for most of a season), hurt quite a bit and usually inconsistent.

The problem is to trade him you would have to hope he proves to be healthy and good to get any value. If you're trading an oft injured, inconsistent goalie making big dollars it means we'll have to take on an equally bad contract.

To me I would love to trade him, but I don't think you can unless you take on another bad contract and since I'm not 100% sure on our goalie situation (I'd like to see how he starts next season and how he plays over a longer period of time before I anoint him).

So yes I would trade him if it doesn't bring back a terrible contract.
But if it means bringing back a bad contract I would wait and try to let his value get a bit higher.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I don't get credit for much around here except for failing to sticky a GDT, but I'm going to claim to have been the first to suggest that the team should consider trading Bob.

That said, this plan sounds to me like it has the hidden benefit of giving us a built-in complaint for a poor start next year, *****ing at Jarmo for ruining the goalie situation in the offseason and going into a season relying on an unproven Korpisalo.

And that said, I'm intrigued if you upgrade McIlhenny and move Curtis full-time to Cleveland, where he backs up Forsberg and is called up in injury situations. Hiller, Khudobin, Reimer?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I don't get credit for much around here except for failing to sticky a GDT, but I'm going to claim to have been the first to suggest that the team should consider trading Bob.

That said, this plan sounds to me like it has the hidden benefit of giving us a built-in complaint for a poor start next year, *****ing at Jarmo for ruining the goalie situation in the offseason and going into a season relying on an unproven Korpisalo.

And that said, I'm intrigued if you upgrade McIlhenny and move Curtis full-time to Cleveland, where he backs up Forsberg and is called up in injury situations. Hiller, Khudobin, Reimer?

All is forgiven for being the first. :laugh: And I like the last point as well although I think you mean upgrade Korpi instead of McIlhenny?

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

I'll let you take it although I'm not sure you beat me to the punch.

The inflated Bob contract was a necessity when we had nothing in the system. That is no longer the case. I thought it was kind of funny that AP is on the "no way in hell" bandwagon. It would be irresponsible if it wasn't, at least, a discussion and that they weren't listening if someone asked about him. It's actually a pointless discussion, at this point, as I don't think you are going to get much interest for him until he's healthy and gets back into form. That's why I don't think Korp will be on the opening night roster next season unless there is an injury. You have to get Bob's value up without the HC playing the hot hand.

The only concern moving Bob is that you need competition for Korp in case he doesn't continue his current play.

Bob is a great goalie. However he's proving to be fragile; sometimes mentally. He's very inconsistent. I've been concerned about Bob longer than anyone here. The reason for my belief that his Vezina is tainted is being illustrated; he can't put a full Vezina level season together. I'm only sorry that I wasn't proven wrong to this point. Because when he's on.... Wow...

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I just think if Bob doesn't have the entire team on his back and doesn't have to overwork himself he can maintain that vezina caliber. And if he can do that there's no reason to trade him. In today's NHL you need 2 SOLID goalies. We own Korpisalos rights for the foreseeable future. So let him develop until Bob's contract runs out. And if things are working out and we're lucky enough move Bob in his final or the year before his contract year and let Korpi takes the reigns.

Of course that's best case scenario...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad