Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v9 - Deadline Looming

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Full year cap hit for a team is calculated by taking the combining daily cap hit (AAV divided by the number of days in the season) for every player on the roster for each day of the season and it adding together to get your full year cap hit.

There are around 40 days left in the season as of the deadline and there are 186 days in the season. 40/186 is around 21.5% so a player with a 10M AAV on deadline day would only cost the team that acquires him 2.15M in cap space.

Thanks. That's what I heard before but recently I was told the Leafs don't have enough cap hit to take on much, but according to CapFriendly they have a tonne of space.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nylander will be 23 to start next season.
Kadri will be 29 in October.

I keep the younger player.

You keep the younger, better player 10/10.

Kadri could bring back a Pesce level player, and that’s a lot better value than using an asset like Nylander (whose equivalent age and skilled defensive counterparts are almost never traded)/

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
It's clear that Babcock can't manage his minutes properly. Billy Beane style management and trade him.

Also the cap space will be useful to get an actual good player.

I'm sure that would go over well... I say get him to the 3rd pair.

Or, trade for defenceman that you know the coach is comfortable with playing on the right side.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
lmaooooooooooooo. They get deployed similarly and Jensen blows both those sorry defensemen out the water. Zaitsev and Hainsey are among a handful of the worst defensemen in the league, for 2 years now. And they take up 2/3rds of ice time per game. so 66% of games we have bottom league NHL defenseman playing. On a team with cup aspirations.

1) Did you read my post?
2) You're grossly exaggerating. Those Skatr charts don't show all that big of a difference between Hainsey and Jensen to be honest, if you look into what each of the metrics are telling you.
3) Zaitsev nor Hainsey are not anywhere near the worst defensmen in the league...

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Or, trade for defenceman that you know the coach is comfortable with playing on the right side.

How about Babcock concentrates on fixing his team and utilizing his players a lot better rather than giving him more toys he's comfy with?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

You say that, but it hasn't happened very often, if at all. Babcock wants an upgrade, and trading Hainsey would probably provide that. He's a left handed shot, expiring 38 year old and struggling. And what is so bad about trading him, turning around using his cap space to get a more efficient right handed defenseman? Isn't that exactly what we need?

That was the whole point of getting Muzzin who is a clear defined top 2/3 defenseman very capable of playing tough minutes and well over 20 game in and out. He's not a right handed defenseman but Rielly showed he's more than capable of playing the right and him with Muzzin was a fine pairing. For some odd reason, Babcock thought that Hainsey should be back with Rielly for no logical reason.

We're not going to upgrade this defensive core if someone doesn't move out, that's the bottom line. Muzzin replaces his PK ability and his defensive ability by a large margin. If Babcock can't sit out or play Hainsey in a bottom minute role, there's only one way to go about it.

Last edited:

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
1) Did you read my post?
2) You're grossly exaggerating. Those Skatr charts don't show all that big of a difference between Hainsey and Jensen to be honest, if you look into what each of the metrics are telling you.
3) Zaitsev nor Hainsey are not anywhere near the worst defensmen in the league...

2. Huh? in more icetime against slightly lesser tough competition he blows Hainsey out of the water in shot share, corsi, CF relative, shot suppression, expected goals for, expected goals against, actual goals for, actual goals against, while being a younger and better skater. There is an ASTRONOMICAL difference in upside, ability, and production. Mind you they both get deployed as defensive defenseman. You can say their offensive output is a wash sure, but only in terms of goals and assists (skewed because Hainsey scored early in the year fluke flutter pucks from the point playing with Matthews/Tavares/Kadri) and his individual shooting still isn't better.
3. Hainsey is the worst defenseman in the league that plays top 4 minutes. Zaitsev is in that convo. They've both been apart of the bottom 5 worst pairings in the NHL last year, I can pull up the pairings for this year later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
If Boston gets Stone we are screwed. No chance of beating them, the way our D is right now I still think we are screwed but having to face Stone who is unreal as well... good luck

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Is there a more important position to spend your money on though?
I wouldn't even run a 4C. Let the big dogs eat. When you account for special teams taking up say 8 min in a game. That is 52 minutes at 5v5 for elite players.
5v5 minutes could look something like:
Matthews 18 min
Tavares 18 min
Nylander 16 min
This is a very reasonable work load, especially given pretty much all of the extra minutes for the 3 (Tavares plays a tiny bit of PK) would come on the PP.

Have suggested icing 11 forwards and 7 dmen in the past but JT and AM should get 20 minutes/game.

Reactions: AppsSyl

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
he isn't better than OZ, Marincin nor Holl. If the Leafs were a meritocracy, Moore and 1 of those 3 would be in the lineup. **** even 2 of them, Zaitsev stinks too

It's interesting that you find the guys that don't get off the 3rd pairing better than the guys that play higher up. Maybe it's to do with playing against better players and preferential usage on the coaches' part.

But I agree, I'd like to see Moore up.

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
It's interesting that you find the guys that don't get off the 3rd pairing better than the guys that play higher up. Maybe it's to do with playing against better players and preferential usage on the coaches' part.

But I agree, I'd like to see Moore up.

I saw some numbers earlier in the month suggesting that Zaitsev/Hainsey are not putting up solid possession numbers in lower deployment either (albeit smaller sample size). There's nothing to defend when it comes to the 2. They are bad and them playing any minutes whether important or not (and typically they are tough minutes) only hurts the team. These are facts supported. So why do we have people defend them and then we create narratives that (ie Nylander is this and this) I just call it how I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00