HYMAN - - - - - TAVARES - - - - MARNER
MARLEAU - - - - KADRI - - - - KAPANEN
JOHNSSON - - - LINDHOLM - - - LEIVO

RIELLY - - - - - GUDAS
GARDINER - ZAITSEV
DERMOTT - HAINSEY
OZHIGANOV

Load Up for the Playoffs!​
Ugh gudas on the first pair? I I would hope for someone with.. um...talent to target

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Ugh gudas on the first pair? I I would hope for someone with.. um...talent to target

I like how Kapanen is still not in the top 6 despite Nylander playing on a wing that he has never played on...

Not really a huge load up for the playoffs all things considered TBH, especially for the price. That first package is probably good enough to land Martinez...

Much rather have him and then not do anything with Gudas.

horner

May 22, 2007
Leafs - Blue Jackets
Josh Anderson
for
Connor Brown, Calle Rosen, 2nd

Leafs - Flyers
Radko Gudas
for
Justin Holl & 3rd

NYLANDER - MATTHEWS - ANDERSON
HYMAN - - - - - TAVARES - - - - MARNER
MARLEAU - - - - KADRI - - - - KAPANEN
JOHNSSON - - - LINDHOLM - - - LEIVO

RIELLY - - - - - GUDAS
GARDINER - ZAITSEV
DERMOTT - HAINSEY
OZHIGANOV

Load Up for the Playoffs!​
[/QUOTblue jackets laugh

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
Now that Nylander is signed, it's time to get a shut down dman for the top pair. Chris Tanev is still my guess (for high pick and NHL-ready prospect).

FORWARDS (13)
Patrick Marleau ($6,250,000) - Auston Matthews ($925,000) - William Nylander ($10,277,778) -
Zach Hyman ($2,250,000) - John Tavares ($11,000,000) - Mitchell Marner ($894,167)
Andreas Johnsson ($787,500) - Nazem Kadri ($4,500,000) - Kasperi Kapanen ($863,333)
Josh Leivo ($925,000) - Pär Lindholm ($925,000) - Connor Brown ($2,100,000)
Frederik Gauthier ($675,000)

DEFENSE (7)
Morgan Rielly ($5,000,000) - Chris Tanev ($4,450,000)
Jake Gardiner ($4,050,000) - Nikita Zaitsev ($4,500,000)
Travis Dermott ($863,333) - Ron Hainsey ($3,000,000)
Igor Ozhiganov ($925,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
Frederik Andersen ($5,000,000)
Garret Sparks ($675,000)

ROSTER SIZE 22
SALARY CAP $79,500,000
CAP HIT $78,861,111
CAP SPACE $638,889

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Now that Nylander is signed, it's time to get a shut down dman for the top pair. Chris Tanev is still my guess (for high pick and NHL-ready prospect).

FORWARDS (13)
Patrick Marleau ($6,250,000) - Auston Matthews ($925,000) - William Nylander ($10,277,778) -
Zach Hyman ($2,250,000) - John Tavares ($11,000,000) - Mitchell Marner ($894,167)
Andreas Johnsson ($787,500) - Nazem Kadri ($4,500,000) - Kasperi Kapanen ($863,333)
Josh Leivo ($925,000) - Pär Lindholm ($925,000) - Connor Brown ($2,100,000)
Frederik Gauthier ($675,000)

DEFENSE (7)
Morgan Rielly ($5,000,000) - Chris Tanev ($4,450,000)
Jake Gardiner ($4,050,000) - Nikita Zaitsev ($4,500,000)
Travis Dermott ($863,333) - Ron Hainsey ($3,000,000)
Igor Ozhiganov ($925,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
Frederik Andersen ($5,000,000)
Garret Sparks ($675,000)

ROSTER SIZE 22
SALARY CAP $79,500,000
CAP HIT $78,861,111
CAP SPACE $638,889

I feel as if they'd want one of Kapanen or Johnsson back though. Other concerns with Tanev is health and if we should have D man that makes over $4m that doesn't put up a lot of points especially given our cap situation to come. I'd say no myself.

Nick Jensen on Detroit is who I'd be looking at.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Kapanen+Zaitsev+Durzi+1st for Pietrangelo
OR
Nylander+Zaitsev+1st for Schwartz+Pietrangelo

Option 1 2018-19:

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Ennis-Lindholm-Leivo

Rielly-Pietrangelo
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Ozhiganov

Option 2:
Schwartz-Matthews-Kapanen
L2
L3
Johnsson-Lindholm-Ennis/Leivo

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I feel as if they'd want one of Kapanen or Johnsson back though. Other concerns with Tanev is health and if we should have D man that makes over $4m that doesn't put up a lot of points especially given our cap situation to come. I'd say no myself.

Nick Jensen on Detroit is who I'd be looking at.

Only thing is Jensen would be more of a bottom pairing type guy. Maybe a passable #4. Not terrible, but not exactly anyone who would really upgrade Hainsey.

Martinez, since LA is out of it, or somehow getting someone like Savard from CBJ, would be nice. Timeframe works well, and they'd be good fits for Rielly.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Only thing is Jensen would be more of a bottom pairing type guy. Maybe a passable #4. Not terrible, but not exactly anyone who would really upgrade Hainsey.

Martinez, since LA is out of it, or somehow getting someone like Savard from CBJ, would be nice. Timeframe works well, and they'd be good fits for Rielly.

With either of them though you're very likely subtracting something from the current forward group. That's what I would want avoid.

I'd also question on why CBJ would move Savard right now anyway being right at the top of their division.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Id do it, I don't know about Carolina though

Top 6 RW, trades from their strength, Leafs might need to add a bit but I am just thinking of how we can round out the team to be better.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
With the Blues pretty much out of the playoffs, they probably need to be honest with themselves and do a rebuild.

IF they come to that conclusion, Alex Pietrangelo has one year after this one before he becomes a UFA. I would absolutely go all in to get this guy for two playoff runs.

I’d be willing to give up four quality pieces to make it happen. Some combination of Kapenen/Johnson (obviously would rather brown but prob not gonna happen), Grundstrom/Lilly (they’d want Lilly), a first and a second.

Even if it was Kappy, Lilly, 1st, 2nd id probably do it. Two playoff runs with that guy on D, the cup wouldn’t get any closer. I’d do anything for a cup

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
With either of them though you're very likely subtracting something from the current forward group. That's what I would want avoid.

I'd also question on why CBJ would move Savard right now anyway being right at the top of their division.

Yeah I know that. I did not expect it to be Savard specifically, but someone like him. Martinez would be a much better example. Or maybe a non-injured Tanev. That is essentially what Savard is anyways :laugh:

I would be willing to move off Brown in the right deal. As much as I rag on Ennis, he is probably good enough to replace everything Brown provides except defense. However the Leafs have a good contingent of guys who can PK and shut down (Marner, Tavares, Kapanen, Lindholm, Hyman and even Johnsson), so I am not overly worried about moving him. Or worst case, I think you could get a solid 4th liner as a rental for a reasonable cost, or look at a Marlie like Moore (who can also PK). That's probably what will happen in the offseason anyways.

I'd rather get a legit top 4 option and move an expendable forward, than just get a slightly better version of Ozhiganov and not pay as much.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Trade chips from the Marlies: LW Dmytro Timashov, RD Jordan Subban, G Eamon McAdam
Needs for the Marlies: Goalie to pair with Kaskisuo.

The Marlies have depth to replace Timashov, even though he is still a relatively key member of the squad. I just think if the Marlies needed a good prospect to add as a sweetner, he'd be the first guy on the list. If Holl comes in, Subban loses his job due to the numbers game. Jardine and Corrado are sufficient permanent depth guys for the Marlies, and there are ample Growlers who can also fill in on spot duty. Subban becomes unnecessary. Good news is that combined with McAdam, he should be able to fill the one Marlies need of getting a goalie to pair with Kaski.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
They didn’t sign him for 6 years just to trade him this summer.

They would have just signed him to a bridge weeks ago if that was the case

Signing him to a long term deal increases his value. Do you think teams would want to deal with paying him significantly more money after only a year or two of a bridge?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Signing him to a long term deal increases his value. Do you think teams would want to deal with paying him significantly more money after only a year or two of a bridge?
they bought their way out of the Nylander problem, he'll be traded before next season, I only hope he doesn't s**t the bed and kill his trade value between now and the end of the season.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I don’t think they would have gone through all of his just hassle to lock him into a long term deal just so they could traded him.

I don’t follow the logic at all of long term deal = trade. If anything it indicates the opposite.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
That would interest me quite a bit.

I'll admit I haven't watched him play much over the last 2 years. Is he still good?

I do not watch him, but that seems about how their fans value him. Some a bit more, some a bit less when you take out the outliers (like there was one guy who was saying Liljegren, but heck no on that).

He's still a solid 2nd pairing RD from what I know/seen. A solid guy for Rielly without breaking the bank. Contract ends in a good time to not block Liljegren as well, and right when he probably exits his prime as well. Exactly the type of addition that would be worth it for the Leafs, and a great return for a rebuilding team in LA. Brown slots in their lineup now and is the right age for their team going forward + nice future assets.

Reactions: LeafChief
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad