Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Can we somehow trade for Phillipe Myers, please? This guy has ridiculous mobility and agility for a 6'5" defenseman. He's right handed too.

Reactions: rumman

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
He'd be the kind of prospect I'd be looking at. I wouldn't love a return of him and Konecny but I'd certainly be ok with it, for example.

add a 2nd and we would be in good shape.

marleau-tavares-kapanen
hyman-matthews-marner
johnsson-kadri-konecny
leivo-lindholm-brown

then in a few years defense;

rielly-lily
dermott-meyers
sandin-zaitsev

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
He'd be the kind of prospect I'd be looking at. I wouldn't love a return of him and Konecny but I'd certainly be ok with it, for example.

Yeah, him and Konecny would work for me. Konecny would be a good fit with Kadri due to his skill and grit. We could roll a Klan line with Kapanen. :laugh:

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Bortuzzo is terrible. He's not even top 6 on St. Louis, why would he be here?

Even when he was top 6, he was a worse version of Ozhiganov is right now. Ozhiganov is really good, and he may even start to get more minutes soon (since Babcock may be using him more on the PK and stuff). Babcock has already started using him a little bit more in recent games 5-on-5.

He's not on top 6 in St. Louis? Thats false. He's been a regular on their 3rd pairing for 2 years now.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He's not on top 6 in St. Louis? Thats false. He's been a regular on their 3rd pairing for 2 years now.

He's been injured this year, my bad. He only started playing regularly last year (and parts of this year), and that was with Ozhiganov minutes. He's essentially been a #7 his entire career. He's been absolute trash this year though, while Ozhiganov has been great.

The Leafs are not going to spend a 4th round pick on a minimal upgrade at best, or a serious downgrade at worst. There has been no indication that Babcock does not trust Ozhiganov enough to play in the top 6 on a playoff caliber team. Babcock has even said that Oz is getting better each game as he gets more accustomed to the NHL and may even start to get more responsibilities. That does not sound like the type of guy they are going to replace with a mediocre (at best) #6/7. The only reason why he is even in their top 6 is because they do not have anyone better. Jordan Schmaltz was also terrible in the time when Bortuzzo was not playing, and San Antonio is the worst AHL team by far with nothing to compete with him.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
He's been injured this year, my bad. He only started playing regularly last year (and parts of this year), and that was with Ozhiganov minutes. He's essentially been a #7 his entire career. He's been absolute trash this year though, while Ozhiganov has been great.

The Leafs are not going to spend a 4th round pick on a minimal upgrade at best, or a serious downgrade at worst. There has been no indication that Babcock does not trust Ozhiganov enough to play in the top 6 on a playoff caliber team. Babcock has even said that Oz is getting better each game as he gets more accustomed to the NHL and may even start to get more responsibilities. That does not sound like the type of guy they are going to replace with a mediocre (at best) #6/7. The only reason why he is even in their top 6 is because they do not have anyone better. Jordan Schmaltz was also terrible in the time when Bortuzzo was not playing, and San Antonio is the worst AHL team by far with nothing to compete with him.

Bortuzzo has not been "absolute trash" this year. I spoke to blues fans about him myself, along with watching some of their games. Blues fans are more than fine with having him slotted where he is.

You sound like a major Oziganov fan, which is fine. I never said Oziganov is doing bad but acquiring some defensive depth in case of injuries are still a thing in today's league.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Can we somehow trade for Phillipe Myers, please? This guy has ridiculous mobility and agility for a 6'5" defenseman. He's right handed too.

I suggested Kadri for Myers base on the main boards a couple days ago and they didn’t object.

They need C depth; Patrick is currently their 2C and his production is weak.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Bortuzzo has not been "absolute trash" this year. I spoke to blues fans about him myself, along with watching some of their games. Blues fans are more than fine with having him slotted where he is.

You sound like a major Oziganov fan, which is fine. I never said Oziganov is doing bad but acquiring some defensive depth in case of injuries are still a thing in today's league.

The Leafs have Holl and Marincin for that. Why get Bortuzzo for that, especially when he may not even be an upgrade? Holl may not even have a job in a few hours because we will need his roster spot. Marincin has been good enough as a #7 that the Leafs should not have to feel like acquiring a new one for any asset of value. The Leafs have a good amount of depth everywhere, except maybe in net, and even then I would not spend a pick to upgrade the #3 spot right now. Any sort of depth issues they have they can probably solve just by using excess depth they have in other places.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I suggested Kadri for Myers base on the main boards a couple days ago and they didn’t object.

They need C depth; Patrick is currently their 2C and his production is weak.

I would imagine the Leafs get a rather significant '+' on top of Myers?

Reactions: Saint Blue

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
The Leafs have Holl and Marincin for that. Why get Bortuzzo for that, especially when he may not even be an upgrade? Holl may not even have a job in a few hours because we will need his roster spot. Marincin has been good enough as a #7 that the Leafs should not have to feel like acquiring a new one for any asset of value. The Leafs have a good amount of depth everywhere, except maybe in net, and even then I would not spend a pick to upgrade the #3 spot right now. Any sort of depth issues they have they can probably solve just by using excess depth they have in other places.

Bortuzzo is far better than Marincin and Holl. And not to mention, brings that physical presence that we sorely lack from out defense.

Marincin is absolute garbage and shouldn't be in the league. Holl is an AHL player at this point.

You're severely underrating Bortuzzo. Lets just say we have different views in this perspective and move on

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

If I am talking with STL right now, I'd try to get Binnington out of them for McAdam + a prospect lower on the depth chart. San Antonio could use help everywhere except in net right now, where they have too much depth (Husso, Fitzpatrick and Binnington). Marlies are pretty much the exact opposite. McAdam still gives them good insurance in the ECHL in case of injury, but allows them to use their legit prospects in the AHL while also getting a guy to help out elsewhere. Binnington is a high end AHL goalie who may even be a capable #3, and with Kaskisuo forms a nice tandem. The Marlies will still have a few guys they could take from the Growlers in case of emergency, or I guess Glass could step in for a few games in an absolute worse case scenario. Seems like a good fit for both teams.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Bortuzzo is far better than Marincin and Holl. And not to mention, brings that physical presence that we sorely lack from out defense.

Marincin is absolute garbage and shouldn't be in the league. Holl is an AHL player at this point.

You're severely underrating Bortuzzo. Lets just say we have different views in this perspective and move on

I agree about Holl, but if you think I am seriously underrating Bortuzzo, then you are seriously underrating Marincin. If Bortuzzo is not "absolute trash", then neither is Marincin. Marincin deserves to be in this league just as much as Bortuzzo does, if not more.

I will agree that it is not really worth talking about a #7 spot though. It's already a spot that is rather insignificant, which is why spending a 4th on it seems like a waste of assets to me.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Leafs - Blue Jackets
Josh Anderson
for
Connor Brown, Calle Rosen, 2nd

Leafs - Flyers
Radko Gudas
for
Justin Holl & 3rd

NYLANDER - MATTHEWS - ANDERSON
HYMAN - - - - - TAVARES - - - - MARNER
MARLEAU - - - - KADRI - - - - KAPANEN
JOHNSSON - - - LINDHOLM - - - LEIVO

RIELLY - - - - - GUDAS
GARDINER - ZAITSEV
DERMOTT - HAINSEY
OZHIGANOV

Load Up for the Playoffs!​

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
We just made our deadline rental folks. Except this one lasts multiple deadlines.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
So...when does Toronto’s trade Nylander?
Soon?
Trade deadline?
In the offf season?

This summer. The only way Willie stays is if they win a Cup IMO. The soap opera aside this club is too biased to forward talent and lacks the cap flexibility to change that. If they overwhelm the playoffs with their scoring then stay the course but run and gun clubs don't have the best track record for Cups. I wasn't kidding about a trade for Doughty. If the Kings have a lost season, his salary i= Willie and Zaits. The only question is the Leaf adds, and if they get rid of the other Gross client at the same time, great.

Reactions: DougGilmour93

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
So...when does Toronto’s trade Nylander?
Soon?
Trade deadline?
In the offf season?

Tough to say. Moves will obviously happen all the way to - and including - the off season, and for a variety of reasons (cap, depth). Perhaps not necessarily involving Nylander though.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
After July 1st, 2019 the earliest. They'll keep him for the rest of this year. I think that was part of the plan. They will reconsider Willy's status with the team at that time, and right now I think it is very likely Willy forced his way out of Toronto.

This gives Toronto plenty of time to potentially negotiate a trade for him. Willy can go for a cup run, and the Leafs would obviously love having him in there for the rest of the year. Playing the entire year with Matthews will boost his trade value significantly. After that, if they get the right offer for him, I think he is gone. There is a lot of writing on the wall when you consider his contract structure, and how much money he makes vs. his importance to the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad