Trade and Free Agency Thread - C'mon More Trades!

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Depending on what Sandin/Dermott show for the rest of the season, if Rielly was moved for assets I wonder about Goligoski as a one year cup hunting stop gap

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Where those people that said they wouldn't trade Kerfoot for Sam Bennett? 6 pts in 5 GP so far since joining Panthers.

Mind you, the cost was stupidly high and clearly Kerfoot wasn't gonna be enough.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Where those people that said they wouldn't trade Kerfoot for Sam Bennett? 6 pts in 5 GP so far since joining Panthers.

Mind you, the cost was stupidly high and clearly Kerfoot wasn't gonna be enough.

Eating crow ?? Some said he was plain bad and was barely worth Engvall or Barabanov.

upload_2021-4-26_13-8-42.png

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Eating crow ?? Some said he was plain bad and was barely worth Engvall or Barabanov.

View attachment 426409

Jesus, he's played 5 games so far
Perhaps you should wait for a decent sample before you start "spiking the football"?

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Jesus, he's played 5 games so far
Perhaps you should wait for a decent sample before you start "spiking the football"?

LOL. Yeah that is what I thought the response would be (love "spiking the football" comment) and it is valid but damn he is now playing 20+ minutes and putting up points. Still he was always worth more than what the neigh sayers were saying he was worth.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I feel like this is the same song and dance as with Mason Marchment, who put up 6 points in his first 9 games and subsequently put up 3 points in his next 21 games in spite of receiving better minutes...

Really, it is the same song and dance for Sam Bennett too. He's had hot streaks before (look at his playoff runs). The issue is that he has just as many, if not more, stretches where he looks like (and is) a healthy scratch.

Kerfoot may not have too many hot streaks, but he's been here for over 100 games now and he has rarely, if ever, looked like a healthy scratch. I would rather have the consistency from Kerfoot.

But yes, that price was too high. Even a 2nd round pick, which is a reasonable return for Kerfoot, would have been pushing Bennett's value ceiling but including Heineman (who is closer to a 3rd round pick than the 2nd round pick that Florida used to get him) was overkill.

Reactions: stickty111

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
That was a heck of a price Florida paid in a gamble. Looks great right now but it could prove to be bad in the long run. Granted Bennett has been great in the playoffs in his career.

Either way I wouldn't have made that gamble, and rather paid a bit more for someone more proven in Foligno.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

View attachment 426409
Wow they're really feeding him minutes...looks like opposite of the Calgary treatment. Interesting strategy that seams to be paying off big time.

Price was two seconds. What is the likelihood of 2nds turning into NHL players? At the very least Bennett was a good bottom six player with skill and physicality, with potential to turn into a top 6 player. Would've expected more teams interested in him, especially in a weak draft.

Reactions: ToneDog

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Wow they're really feeding him minutes...looks like opposite of the Calgary treatment. Interesting strategy that seams to be paying off big time.

Price was two seconds. What is the likelihood of 2nds turning into NHL players? At the very least Bennett was a good bottom six player with skill and physicality, with potential to turn into a top 6 player. Would've expected more teams interested in him, especially in a weak draft.

He was struggling to be noticeable more often than not and came with a cap hit which effectively made him a rental if he sucked (since it is unlikely the team wants to tender him a 3+ mill contract to be the mediocre 4th liner he was for much of his recent time in Calgary).

He's a pretty big risk, especially for 2nd round picks these days. You can get some pretty damn good players with a 2nd round pick if you are smart; better than mediocre 4th liners with upside.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
LOL. Yeah that is what I thought the response would be (love "spiking the football" comment) and it is valid but damn he is now playing 20+ minutes and putting up points. Still he was always worth more than what the neigh sayers were saying he was worth.

I would have been willing to take a punt on him at the right price point but he makes to much, needs a new contract and went for surprisingly high draft picks

I don't think he was ever a good fit for us and I doubt we could have given him that much opportunity with Foligno, Hyman and Chucky on the team

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

No question he had value... just not what was paid for him. It was a gamble, as simple as that. If it worked out, his QO is beyond what we could afford, let alone even protect him in the Expansion draft. He would have been a rental for us, and I think the price was too high for a pure rental.

I don't hope he fails, he's better than he showed in Calgary, but not worth what Florida paid IMO. Maybe he works out for them, but the wrong gamble for us.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'd be weary of buying high on Hamilton and his offensive numbers personally, especially when defensively he's not much of an upgrade on Rielly.

He's the sexy name but I wouldn't bite on it.

If they're breaking Sandin and Liljegren into the league within the next couple of seasons, they'll need to ensure those two can be insulated with quality vets.

That's the challenge right? Ekholm would be the ideal replacement IMO. I just don't know how at this point we do that.. I think overall he'd be a better fit for us, and sign lower long-term. Or even Mike Reilly as a stop gap... I mean, we'd only have to swap two letters on the jersey, and boom... who would even notice? Reilly likely signs for below $3 mil.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
They basically paid two 2nds for Bennett, I wouldn't have paid that.

Tbh, if we're moving Rielly and looking to replace him with a top-pair defenseman like Hamilton, I'd kick the tires on Werenski. Price would be high, but he's a damn good all-situations defenseman that would explode offensively on a team like ours.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
They basically paid two 2nds for Bennett, I wouldn't have paid that.

Tbh, if we're moving Rielly and looking to replace him with a top-pair defenseman like Hamilton, I'd kick the tires on Werenski. Price would be high, but he's a damn good all-situations defenseman that would explode offensively on a team like ours.

IIRC correctly Hamilton is a UFA and Werenski gonna cost you a boatload. Unless it is Rielly+ for Werenski, I don't see it.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

View attachment 426409
One popular poster on here legitimately argued that Petan is better than Bennett.

This board is too split on the physicality topic that it's impossible to discuss. One side overrates it and the other completely dismisses it. He would have been a great add in a deal based around Engvall +, which is what most of us were interested in. However, he returned the equivalent of TOR 2nd + Hirvonen (arguably slightly more). Way too rich.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
One popular poster on here legitimately argued that Petan is better than Bennett.

This board is too split on the physicality topic that it's impossible to discuss. One side overrates it and the other completely dismisses it. He would have been a great add in a deal based around Engvall +, which is what most of us were interested in. However, he returned the equivalent of TOR 2nd + Hirvonen (arguably slightly more). Way too rich.

Yup I wanted him on the cheap. Florida was willing to overpay like we were willing to give up a 1st for our target Foligno. Maybe Dubas can circle back and sign him as a UFA for reasonable dollars this summer.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
IIRC correctly Hamilton is a UFA and Werenski gonna cost you a boatload. Unless it is Rielly+ for Werenski, I don't see it.

He would definitely be expensive to acquire and Columbus is unlikely to even want to move him. But I think he'd fit our team like a glove, even if it's a bit of a pipe dream.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Yup I wanted him on the cheap. Florida was willing to overpay like we were willing to give up a 1st for our target Foligno. Maybe Dubas can circle back and sign him as a UFA for reasonable dollars this summer.

Bennett is RFA

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Depending on what Sandin/Dermott show for the rest of the season, if Rielly was moved for assets I wonder about Goligoski as a one year cup hunting stop gap
29 year old Goligoski? Sure. Soon to be 36 year old Gologoski? Absolutely not.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
29 year old Goligoski? Sure. Soon to be 36 year old Gologoski? Absolutely not.

35 year old Goligoski is logging 22 minutes a night while contributing to a positive even strength goal differential in matchup minutes, plays 3 minutes a night on the pk to a comparable goals against result as Muzzin/Holl and has as many even strength points as the likes of Suter/Dumba/McDonagh/Schmidt/Faulk/Spurgeon/Murphy.

He's still a very good dman, he's just not a primary PP option. Perfect mentor for Liljegren, sets up

Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Brodie
Goligoski-Liljegren,

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Is there anything to believe that's anything more than a hot streak?

Last edited:
Reactions: stickty111

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
35 year old Goligoski is logging 22 minutes a night while contributing to a positive even strength goal differential in matchup minutes, plays 3 minutes a night on the pk to a comparable goals against result as Muzzin/Holl and has as many even strength points as the likes of Suter/Dumba/McDonagh/Schmidt/Faulk/Spurgeon/Murphy.

He's still a very good dman, he's just not a primary PP option. Perfect mentor for Liljegren, sets up

Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Brodie
Goligoski-Liljegren,

Would he be a better option than a re-signed Bogo though?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Tbh, if we're moving Rielly and looking to replace him with a top-pair defenseman like Hamilton,

Personally I think that if we're moving Rielly it's either

A- to move away from the idea of a "Rielly" (high offense star level D man) and embrace a more balanced (both cap and skillset) d-corps
B- to clear the path for Sandin to fill Rielly's shoes with an ELC year and 2nd contract

Technically it could be both, but the common factor is that with either reasoning we're not spending Rielly type money on his replacement, because if we are then we should just keep Rielly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Korg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad