Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk - LIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
don't want scheifele, don't know how we aquire PLD, and i don't know how we afford either of them
Going after players who are leaving their prime seems a strange strat, especially on a team with our cap problems over the next three years.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm disappointed, but the reality is, you aren't going to make a run if you aren't deep down the middle, on the back-end, and in goal. I have to question how the current team is constructed. It's not good enough, but there are encouraging signs that Guerin knows he has to build this team differently. Wallstedt can be a cornerstone in net in the future. He's targeted quality, good skating defenseman early and often in the draft. I worry that Guerin believes in this "driving offense from the wing" thing a little too much. We need to get more good, young centers.

The reality is, this team has a lot of high-end parts. I think we'll probably make the playoffs in 2 if not all 3 of the next dead cap seasons. But, we don't have the cap flexibility to fix the glaring holes (number 1 center, quality starting goalie). It's going to be more of the same over the next three years, and I think it probably get's Guerin fired. I just hope the rest of the pieces can fall into place before Kaprizov hit's free agency.

Thoughts?

Honestly, I'm not really expecting playoffs in any of the 3 seasons (assuming Fiala is traded). I'll be watching for Kaprizov, Boldy and Rossi pretty much exclusively.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Honestly, I'm not really expecting playoffs in any of the 3 seasons (assuming Fiala is traded). I'll be watching for Kaprizov, Boldy and Rossi pretty much exclusively.
I don't see how this team falls from grace that hard, especially with improvements from Rossi and Boldy. Even if you take Fiala out of the lineup and put a replacement level player there, most models would have us losing about 2.5 Wins. It's not my favorite analytic, because I think it's impossible to quantify everything a player does for a team into a single metric, but this team should be around 100 points in this NHL, imo for the next couple of years.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I'm disappointed, but the reality is, you aren't going to make a run if you aren't deep down the middle, on the back-end, and in goal. I have to question how the current team is constructed. It's not good enough, but there are encouraging signs that Guerin knows he has to build this team differently. Wallstedt can be a cornerstone in net in the future. He's targeted quality, good skating defenseman early and often in the draft. I worry that Guerin believes in this "driving offense from the wing" thing a little too much. We need to get more good, young centers.

The reality is, this team has a lot of high-end parts. I think we'll probably make the playoffs in 2 if not all 3 of the next dead cap seasons. But, we don't have the cap flexibility to fix the glaring holes (number 1 center, quality starting goalie). It's going to be more of the same over the next three years, and I think it probably get's Guerin fired. I just hope the rest of the pieces can fall into place before Kaprizov hit's free agency.

Thoughts?
i sadly think he loves the Greef line too much and wants them to be our identity so he wont go too far out of his way to change our look. i agree we need good young C but that has been the case forever and i dont think he is willing to pay the price to obtain one with any of our trade chips so if we do not get lucky in the draft we wont get one under BG

I don't see how this team falls from grace that hard, especially with improvements from Rossi and Boldy. Even if you take Fiala out of the lineup and put a replacement level player there, most models would have us losing about 2.5 Wins. It's not my favorite analytic, because I think it's impossible to quantify everything a player does for a team into a single metric, but this team should be around 100 points in this NHL, imo for the next couple of years.
with their usage of Fiala i think losing him will be ok simply because he is not PP1 for the most part and he was not carrying his line enough to say puting someone else there wont also produce 40+ points next to boldy. lose half the production most likely but i agree we wont fall off if we do just some bare minimum trading of fiala and 4th liners.

If he does a big shakeup and Dumba, Foligno, Greenway and Fiala go out the door then i will expect to miss the playoffs this coming year for sure just because we will have quite the new roster.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
If Fiala gets a haul, I think this team makes the playoffs in all 3 seasons. I really hope we can find a way to move Dumba/Zucc for something substantial too.

I do think 2 of Fiala, Dumba, and Zucc need to be traded this season though. Trade them at a high point and build a roster that is cheap but competitive over the next 3 seasons. I'd be perfectly content bringing Fiala back if he's not asking for $7.5M+, but I really think what he can return is a better fit for this team over the next 3 seasons. We need to turn these $6M guys into ELCs and $3-4M players.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
not the cinderella story happy ending i was looking for. where do we go from here? do we load up on picks by trading both dumba & fiala ? i still believe we need to bring in a player or two that makes kaprizov comfortable staying here. hartman did a great job but i don't think hes a #1C. something needs to change on the D, we need a soucy type player. oh well 4 years from now maybe we'll be good.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Cooley-Kaprizov
Rossi-Boldy
Ek-Khusnutdinov

Brodin-Spurgeon
Lambos-XXXX
Peart
O’Rourke
Hunt

Wallstedt

Is basically our long term core moving forward (if we get Cooley :: Fiala->7th. 7th + 26 for 3/4 lol)

Would like to also get a bonafide 1D prospect.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Expectations really are poison with this team. Even modest ones, like showing a pulse in the last playoff series you're likely to see for a few years.

That said, I expect the following over the next few months:
- Fiala is traded
- One of the defensemen goes. Likely Kulikov or Middleton depending on whether they extend the latter.
- A goalie is signed. Maybe two if they trade Talbot, which seems likely even without any simmering tension from the playoffs.

Beyond that Guerin's already made most of his moves to construct next year's team. Greenway, Goligoski, Jost, Merrill and (probably) Middleton shore up most of the middle-bottom of the line-up. Beyond swapping Fiala for Rossi they mostly just need depth guys.

Hey look, y'know what, we just gotta follow the plan.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Bill seems to be overcorrecting towards physicality and locker room culture. I understand the culture was bad when he got here, but you can't make your team identity center around Jordan Greenway and Marcus Foligno and expect to go anywhere in the playoffs. That's why you need guys like Kaprizov and Fiala (the version that shows up in the playoffs).

Conventional wisdom says less than half of Boldy, Rossi, Lambos, Wallstedt, O'Rourke, Hunt, Peart, Addison, Beckman will actually end up being as good as we hope. This team needs to take some major strides with its drafting and development over the next few years (including simply acquiring more prospects, specifically forwards) if they want to have success towards the end of the buyouts. We currently have only 6 picks in this summers draft. That number should be closer to 8-9 for the next couple years. If that means trading a "core piece" like Greenway, do it.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Anyone else have a feeling that Greenway is traded this off-season?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Would probably make sense if Rossi and Beckman are promoted

Beckman is not NHL ready. He has at least another year, depending on how his offseason training goes. He really needs to bulk up, get stronger, tidy up his skating and his balance. He's the type of player who would really benefit from being able to dominate the AHL, rather than slowly be brought along in the NHL.

Reactions: 57special

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Would probably make sense if Rossi and Beckman are promoted
Honestly, I think Greenway is here to stay for most of his contract. Partially because you can't count on Beckman to be ready, yet. He needs to earn his spot, and didn't come close to doing so this year.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad