Trade and Free Agency Discussion Thread - Don't Expect More Augmenting

Status
Not open for further replies.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
No European contract for Sparks? I could see him flourishing over there. He may not have given up his NHL dream just yet.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Minor, but I think I've spotted an opportunity for a minor trade:

Calle Rosen for a Top 6 AHL RW.

Warsofsky was brought in (productive leader), Marincin could end up in the AHL, Kivihalme re-upped for two-years as a mature prospect, Sandin/Liljegren may go back and forth and Hollowell/Duszak/Rubins/Kral/Hoefenmayer/McCourt/Sapego vying for playing time.

Do they really need three "vets" in Warsofsky/Marincin/Rosen with all of those young players, a few of whom are top AHL D?

On RW, the Marlies will have Anderson or Malgin, and then a ton of AHL deals.

Maybe @SeaOfBlue could put some potential names out there for this minor swap?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I like the improvements that the team has made this year, but I feel like we are not quite there. I know that I've given up a ton here, and some people aren't going to be happy with this, which I'm ok with. To me, this is a roster that you can really compete with, and it works with the Cap. It rounds out our D, gives us a bit more there, than we've got now, and a good partner for Rielly, while I think Brodie and Muzzin would also make a good partnership. Steel is a decent up and coming C, and would replace Kerfoot in the lineup adequately, probably be a better player long-term.

It's an overpayment, to get the assets we need, and it probably pushes this team to being very competitive.

So, to Anaheim

1. Holl, Justin
  2. Kerfoot, Alexander
  3. Liljegren, Timothy
  4. 2021 1st round pick (TOR)
  5. Abramov
To Leafs
  1. Manson
  2. Steel

SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES
q2.svg
BONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$81,118,491$0$0$381,509
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Delete Signed PlayerBuyoutAdd to Trade
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Hyman, Zach
$2,250,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Matthews, Auston
$11,634,000
C
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Marner, Mitchell
$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 5
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Mikheyev, Ilya
$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Nylander, William
$6,962,366
RW, LW
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Vesey, Jimmy
$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
anaheim_ducks.svg

Steel, Sam
$863,333
C
RFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Simmonds, Wayne
$1,500,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Robertson, Nicholas
$821,667
LW
RFA - 3
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Spezza, Jason
$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Boyd, Travis
$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Thornton, Joe
$700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Muzzin, Jake
$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Brodie, TJ
$5,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Andersen, Frederik
$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Rielly, Morgan
$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
anaheim_ducks.svg

Manson, Josh
$4,100,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Campbell, Jack
$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Dermott, Travis
$874,125
LD
RFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Bogosian, Zach
$1,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Lehtonen, Mikko
$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Jackothy

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I like the improvements that the team has made this year, but I feel like we are not quite there. I know that I've given up a ton here, and some people aren't going to be happy with this, which I'm ok with. To me, this is a roster that you can really compete with, and it works with the Cap. It rounds out our D, gives us a bit more there, than we've got now, and a good partner for Rielly, while I think Brodie and Muzzin would also make a good partnership. Steel is a decent up and coming C, and would replace Kerfoot in the lineup adequately, probably be a better player long-term.

It's an overpayment, to get the assets we need, and it probably pushes this team to being very competitive.

So, to Anaheim

1. Holl, Justin
  2. Kerfoot, Alexander
  3. Liljegren, Timothy
  5. Abramov
To Leafs
  1. Manson
  2. Steel

q2.svg
BONUSESCAP SPACE
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Roster

toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Hyman, Zach
$2,250,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Matthews, Auston
$11,634,000
C
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Marner, Mitchell
$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 5
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Mikheyev, Ilya
$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Nylander, William
$6,962,366
RW, LW
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Vesey, Jimmy
$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
anaheim_ducks.svg

Steel, Sam
$863,333
C
RFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Simmonds, Wayne
$1,500,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Robertson, Nicholas
$821,667
LW
RFA - 3
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Spezza, Jason
$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Boyd, Travis
$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Thornton, Joe
$700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Muzzin, Jake
$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Brodie, TJ
$5,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Andersen, Frederik
$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Rielly, Morgan
$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
anaheim_ducks.svg

Manson, Josh
$4,100,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Campbell, Jack
$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Dermott, Travis
$874,125
LD
RFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Bogosian, Zach
$1,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Lehtonen, Mikko
$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Thats outragiously bad for the Leafs. In fact it's a deal Dubas should be fired if he signed it. I am going to repeat this but Manson has had one good season and the rest has been average at best.
Giving up Liljegren alone is an overpayment for Manson, and then your adding in these pieces and Steel coming back is nowhere near enough.
The deal is pretty much.
Toronto trades
#4-5 d man
1st
Very good prospect
Middle six player
B prospect

For
#4 d man
Good prospect.

I might consider for Lindholm but not this one.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Thats outragiously bad for the Leafs. In fact it's a deal Dubas should be fired if he signed it. I am going to repeat this but Manson has had one good season and the rest has been average at best.
Giving up Liljegren alone is an overpayment for Manson, and then your adding in these pieces and Steel coming back is nowhere near enough.
The deal is pretty much.
Toronto trades
#4-5 d man
1st
Very good prospect
Middle six player
B prospect

For
#4 d man
Good prospect.

I might consider for Lindholm but not this one.
Yep. Manson is not even close to Muzzin when he was traded to the Leafs. If there is a trade for Manson, it will be less than the Muzzin package.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Giving up Liljegren alone is an overpayment for Manson.

I mean really? An ok Defensive prospect, that has 11 games in the NHL, and one point, is an overpayment for an established defender of that quality. I think you are massively overvaluing Liljegren here.

Typically, we overvalue our prospect, and want it to be at best, a slight win for us. You aren't prying away players, other teams have in their plans, without an overpayment of some type. The only way you get a "fair" trade, is if they are shopping them, which Ducks don't appear to, and love the guy. They value what he brings to the table. I appreciate people say one good season, due to him putting up points, but it's the other qualities we want, not the points.

Manson with Rielly, is a better version of Hainsey by far, and gives us two high quality D pairings, which one could argue, would be in an argument for top 4 D in the league.

At some point, you just pay the price, to have the BEST team... not an ok one, or a good one, but the BEST one you could ice. We give up nothing that impacts our team now, and take a good step forward on D... I know it's an overpayment, but to have a truly competitive, best in league team and D... I'd do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I mean really? An ok Defensive prospect, that has 11 games in the NHL, and one point, is an overpayment for an established defender of that quality. I think you are massively overvaluing Liljegren here.

Typically, we overvalue our prospect, and want it to be at best, a slight win for us. You aren't prying away players, other teams have in their plans, without an overpayment of some type. The only way you get a "fair" trade, is if they are shopping them, which Ducks don't appear to, and love the guy. They value what he brings to the table. I appreciate people say one good season, due to him putting up points, but it's the other qualities we want, not the points.

Manson with Rielly, is a better version of Hainsey by far, and gives us two high quality D pairings, which one could argue, would be in an argument for top 4 D in the league.

At some point, you just pay the price, to have the BEST team... not an ok one, or a good one, but the BEST one you could ice. We give up nothing that impacts our team now, and take a good step forward on D... I know it's an overpayment, but to have a truly competitive, best in league team and D... I'd do it.
Liljegren is not an okay defensive prospect. Everything he has done suggests a solid top 4 defenseman and he is projected to be one. Lilly is way better then an okay prospect. All this is showing is people are severly undervaluing him again.

Whose judging Manson on points? I certainly am not. His play has been just average aside from one season. We need known qualities not someone we think fits. Seems like overvaluing Manson on perception then reality.

You don't pay the price by making a bad deal. There is a difference between paying up which means getting a good piece back, and paying up just because we should. Manson is not that player.
Dubas is out the door if he agreed to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Auston Escobar

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Warsofsky was brought in (productive leader), Marincin could end up in the AHL, Kivihalme re-upped for two-years as a mature prospect, Sandin/Liljegren may go back and forth and Hollowell/Duszak/Rubins/Kral/Hoefenmayer/McCourt/Sapego vying for playing time.

Do they really need three "vets" in Warsofsky/Marincin/Rosen with all of those young players, a few of whom are top AHL D?

Not Rosen D:

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Yea calling Liljegren an okay prospect with 1 point in 11 NHL games shows that you have no idea what his actual value is.

He also put up a 20 year old season comparable to Shea Theodore (0.75 PPG to Theodore's 0.76 PPG) with a more well rounded defensive game and looked way better than higher ranked prospects like Bouchard did in the AHL last year.

Would I give that up for another Muzzin level impact player or better? Maybe. For Manson? Absolutely not.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Yea calling Liljegren an okay prospect with 1 point in 11 NHL games shows that you have no idea what his actual value is.

He also put up a 20 year old season comparable to Shea Theodore (0.75 PPG to Theodore's 0.76 PPG) with a more well rounded defensive game and looked way better than higher ranked prospects like Bouchard did in the AHL last year.

Would I give that up for another Muzzin level impact player or better? Maybe. For Manson? Absolutely not.
It's sad Lilly is still viewed as just a meh prospect for whatever reason. The guy is an elite AHL 2 way d man stud at 20-21. Is that not enough to suggest he is projecting to be very good?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I think the Leafs keep the defensive depth, especially if there are going to be expanded rosters this year. At this point, they are probably not making many plans to build that team all that much and will likely just keep the guys who are currently loaned where they are (except Thornton, Kossila, and maybe Malgin). I think they use this AHL season as an opportunity to get as many AHL contracts in the lineup as possible, and then just loan a few guys who won't have much playing time to whichever ECHL team will take them.

LW Kenny Agostino – C Travis Boyd – RW Gordie Green
LW Nic Petan – C Adam Brooks – RW Joey Anderson
LW Rourke Chartier – C Kalle Kossila – RW Justin Brazeau
LW Hudson Elynuik – C Tyler Gaudet - RW Jeremy McKenna
LW Bobby McMann - C Colt Conrad - RW Scott Pooley
LW Rich Clune/RW Scott Sabourin

LD Rasmus Sandin – RD Timothy Liljegren
LD David Warsofsky – RD Calle Rosen
LD Teemu Kivihalme – RD Joseph Duszak
LD Noel Hoefenmayer – RD Sergei Sapego
LD Riley McCourt

G Joseph Woll – G Michael Hutchinson
G Ian Scott

Marincin and Dell are assumed to be in the NHL for the entire season, with Rubins, Hollowell, Kral, SDA, Korshkov, etc. staying in Europe. Loan out one of the young defenders and Scott to the ECHL, as well as one of Green or McKenna if Malgin is in the AHL or if the Leafs sign a guy like Perlini for the Marlies. The non-loaned guys can continue just focusing on skill and strength development, which is likely what they've been doing for the past 9 months anyways. For most of them, that is probably more beneficial than playing games right now.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
It's sad Lilly is still viewed as just a meh prospect for whatever reason. The guy is an elite AHL 2 way d man stud at 20-21. Is that not enough to suggest he is projecting to be very good?
Clearly not. He didn't look good in limited minutes in 11 games as a 20 year old so he sucks.

Has 3 of the best seasons ever for a defensemen his age at the AHL level (his age 19 season was the least impressive despite still being comparable to Brent Burns and Ryan Suter) yet some reason he doesn't get the recognition on prospect boards that kids out of the CHL do.

Heck even if you compare him to the AHL defensemen of the year in Jake Bean, he wasn't far off the season he had despite being a year younger (0.81 PPG for Bean vs 0.75 PPG for Lily with less PP time).

Reactions: Morgs

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
On one hand, Leafsnation wants a strong stay at home Dman who can chip in some offence and play RD, but at the same time undervalue TL bc he is not lighting up AHL in scoring.
If the Leafs actually have a steady vet Dman in 3rd pairing instead of Dermott, TL would be playing in the NHL already.
Just think it is wrong to have another rookie playing with Dermott. If Bogo wins the 3rd pairing job, it will do wonders for Dermott.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Clearly not. He didn't look good in limited minutes in 11 games as a 20 year old so he sucks.

Has 3 of the best seasons ever for a defensemen his age at the AHL level (his age 19 season was the least impressive despite still being comparable to Brent Burns and Ryan Suter) yet some reason he doesn't get the recognition on prospect boards that kids out of the CHL do.

Heck even if you compare him to the AHL defensemen of the year in Jake Bean, he wasn't far off the season he had despite being a year younger (0.81 PPG for Bean vs 0.75 PPG for Lily with less PP time).
It's why you shouldn't look at advanced numbers in a small sample size especially in the NHL. He has grown every year and now become a shutdown d man at that level while providing offense.
Good point on Bean. If Lilly played the whole season there, he would certainly be in the conversation for the award.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
That trade with Anaheim is horribad. Leafs giving up way too much, and Steel (who hasn't really proven an ability to hold a 3C spot on a contender) only has one year left on his ELC. Also we'd pay all that just to lose Manson in the expansion draft... Our defense is just fine as is, and if there are issues, I'd rather fix them at the deadline than massively overpay for Manson...

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Wait to see how Columbus does and maybe try add Savard @50% retention at the deadline if Columbus is doing poor, the leafs doing well and Lehtonen isn't playing in the top 4. He would only have a prorated hap hit of like 1.5 million depending on when you traded for him. Really think a Muzzin/Savard pairing would be good.

Reactions: ACC1224

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
That trade with Anaheim is horribad. Leafs giving up way too much, and Steel (who hasn't really proven an ability to hold a 3C spot on a contender) only has one year left on his ELC. Also we'd pay all that just to lose Manson in the expansion draft... Our defense is just fine as is, and if there are issues, I'd rather fix them at the deadline than massively overpay for Manson...
Yup. This is pretty much all accurate. Thankfully Dubas won't make trades like that.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

So, to Anaheim

1. Holl, Justin
  2. Kerfoot, Alexander
  3. Liljegren, Timothy
  5. Abramov
To Leafs
  1. Manson
  2. Steel

q2.svg
BONUSESCAP SPACE
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Roster

toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Hyman, Zach
$2,250,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Matthews, Auston
$11,634,000
C
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Marner, Mitchell
$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 5
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Mikheyev, Ilya
$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Nylander, William
$6,962,366
RW, LW
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Vesey, Jimmy
$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
anaheim_ducks.svg

Steel, Sam
$863,333
C
RFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Simmonds, Wayne
$1,500,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Robertson, Nicholas
$821,667
LW
RFA - 3
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Spezza, Jason
$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Boyd, Travis
$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Thornton, Joe
$700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Muzzin, Jake
$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Brodie, TJ
$5,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Andersen, Frederik
$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Rielly, Morgan
$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
anaheim_ducks.svg

Manson, Josh
$4,100,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Campbell, Jack
$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Dermott, Travis
$874,125
LD
RFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Bogosian, Zach
$1,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Lehtonen, Mikko
$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

We can't afford a first rounder. Sorry.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

We can't afford a first rounder and I'd prefer another power forward.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020

Not that I put all of my eggs in the advanced stats basket by any means but Liljegren had the worst Corsi by a Leafs' defender with 10 or more games since 2014-15. He did not have a good audition. This doesn't eliminate him from future growth.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Not that I put all of my eggs in the advanced stats basket by any means but Liljegren had the worst Corsi by a Leafs' defender with 10 or more games since 2014-15. He did not have a good audition. This doesn't eliminate him from future growth.
It really depended on who he was playing with. When he played with another decent left D in Sandin/Muzzin/Dermott he was fine.

When he played with another RHD or Marincin his Corsi tanked. I believe he was only 16% with Holl, 0% with Ceci, and 23% with Barrie.

You need to be able to insulate young defensemen (like we did with Rielly) but because of the injuries to all the LD we really couldn't do that last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad