Trade and Free Agency Discussion Thread - Don't Expect More Augmenting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
we are not talking about Josh Anderson's career... we were comparing the year Columbus swept Tampa to the Columbus the Leafs just played.. the season we are discussing is the season he put up 27 goals and 47 points.
Actually, we were discussing the playoffs where he put up 3 points in 10 games, after you arbitrarily included him in a short list of changes that you claim would have had a significant effect on the outcome of a series. You ignored all of the other changes of the same level, and ignored the impact of their hot goaltending this year; the biggest impacting factor, by far. You then suggested stats are useless, right before you posted some stats yourself, in an attempt to define what Anderson was. Except your rosy description is not what Josh Anderson has shown to be, which is why he has only done it in one season where everything went right, and why he couldn't maintain anything like that, even in the playoffs of the same year.
Columbus offered Anderson 7 years at 5 million.... that's a lot of money for a non-impact player dont you think?
Yes it is a lot of money for Anderson. He had not earned that contract.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
25 year old- 27 goal, 47 point 6'3 225lb powerforward is not a notable player? Please elaborate .... I wanna hear more.

The Leafs once paid a premium for a power forward (6'0" 210lbs.) who had this stat line at 28 years old:

80GP 30G 16A 46Pts

Followed it up with a disappointing season before signing a long term high cap hit deal as a UFA the following season.

It ended poorly. Turns out that was by far his career year and never again came close. If you havent figured it out yet its David Clarkson

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Unrelated to the current Leafs but Burke is on the Spittin' Chiclets podcast today and he mentioned that the Leafs offered Brad Richards 6x6 and 6x7 in the offseason that he signed with the Rangers and also mentioned in that same free agency period, they went after Jovanovski but he chose a 4 year deal from another team (Florida?) over the Leafs 3 year offer.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
How do people feel about taking a run at a guy like Hamonic for whatever the max contract is that can be fully burried?
He has had some health and injury issues, but a long layoff may have helped him fully mend.
My dream, would be signing Chara to play third pair minutes, but who knows if he will even play again.

When he was healthy, he was a solid #4.
Brodie, Holl, Bogosian, Hamonic, Liljgren. That would give you a pretty solid 5 deep right side.
Reilly, Muzzin, Dermott, Sandin, Lehtonen. A solid left side as well, 5 deep.

I am beginning to think more and more that being in a city where the AHL+NHL cities are in the same spot will give us an advantage in signing guys who may be on that bubble/ need to prove again they are still solid NHLers. Not having to move cities means you are always near your family.

I have similar views of guys like Brassard, Granlund, Boyle, Perry etc. The 'second tier' free agents that are left.

Leafs have 4 contract slots left, so they can sign a guy or two more and still have room if they want to make a 1 for 2 or 1 for 3 trade.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Have a feeling Stamkos opts out for the season due to covid. Tampa won a cup without him(though a lot went right) and they can probably try to go again if they bring back most of the cup winning team.

Is there a rule that a player who sits out due to Covid has to sit out the whole year? Like could the bolts pull a move where Stamkos sits out until like a week before the season at which point if the distriubtion of the vaccines have curbed the virus, he comes back onto the team ready to play?

If allowed they could pull something like the hawks did with kane in 2015 when he was on IR(or LTIR) and they got to add capspace to take on vermette with the playoffs having no salary cap. Could fit there entire team, add a mostly paid out addition at Trade deadline then activate Stamkos before the playoffs.

Doubt the league allows it to happen(stamkos would be enforced I'm guessing to sit out whole year) but if they did it would give Tampa a very very good chance of repeating

Personally I've got a hard time seeing Stamkos agree to that considering how much time he's missed already lately, unless he's checked out mentally after finally getting thr cup.

I think the league will actually be somewhat flexible helping teams navigate thr flat cap but don't think they'll let anything major violations be flaunted

Last edited:
Reactions: hamzarocks

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I would not call it a bad 5 games series and I would not say it is giving them a pass either. I would just not call it an utter failure. They've had two straight series where they outplayed the other team, and one of those teams was one way away from a Cup. Maybe don't pretend like they've won a Cup or anything (and I don't think that is happening right now), but this is not a huge identity crisis situation either.

What you want to see is that your teams are putting themselves in situations where they should be winning series, and the Leafs are doing that. There are always ways to improve, and Dubas/Keefe/the Leafs should be focusing on that more than the results of the series. Ultimately if we continue to do what we are doing, with some incremental improvements, then we can go places quite fast... especially if Andersen and Marner perform to expectations in the playoffs for once.
You should try watching a came or two of the playoffs one day

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
How do people feel about taking a run at a guy like Hamonic for whatever the max contract is that can be fully burried?
He has had some health and injury issues, but a long layoff may have helped him fully mend.
My dream, would be signing Chara to play third pair minutes, but who knows if he will even play again.

Brodie, Holl, Bogosian, Hamonic, Liljgren. That would give you a pretty solid 5 deep right side.

I am beginning to think more and more that being in a city where the AHL+NHL cities are in the same spot will give us an advantage in signing guys who may be on that bubble/ need to prove again they are still solid NHLers. Not having to move cities means you are always near your family.

I have similar views of guys like Brassard, Granlund, Boyle, Perry etc. The 'second tier' free agents that are left.

Leafs have 4 contract slots left, so they can sign a guy or two more and still have room if they want to make a 1 for 2 or 1 for 3 trade.
I think all of those names would sit out over playing in the AHL.

Hamonic does interest me as a cheap bounce-back candidate though.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Actually, we were discussing the playoffs where he put up 3 points in 10 games, after you arbitrarily included him in a short list of changes that you claim would have had a significant effect on the outcome of a series. You ignored all of the other changes of the same level, and ignored the impact of their hot goaltending this year; the biggest impacting factor, by far. You then suggested stats are useless, right before you posted some stats yourself, in an attempt to define what Anderson was. Except your rosy description is not what Josh Anderson has shown to be, which is why he has only done it in one season where everything went right, and why he couldn't maintain anything like that, even in the playoffs of the same year.

So your ignoring my question about posting it on the Columbus board and asking fans who saw him first hand?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
The Columbus board is not there for me, a Leaf fan, to go discuss their players. You were essentially asking me to go get an infraction.

Haha been on the boards for 14 years.... asking about a player isn't going you get you an infraction. Especially a player traded away

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
The Columbus board is not there for me, a Leaf fan, to go discuss their players. You were essentially asking me to go get an infraction. No thanks.

This is quite the exaggeration. Panarin was a loss, but he wasn't the Panarin of this year, and they got an extra year of development for Jones, Werenski, and Dubois; helping to improve their defensive results to best in the league. Anderson isn't a player that moves the needle, and Columbus got much better goaltending against us than they did against Tampa last year, so the loss of Bobrovsky wasn't felt.

Columbus Blue Jackets Opinion Below

I’m assuming that Anderson gets the Wilson contract and Jarmo wasn’t willing to do that.

You guys will love him as long as he’s healthy, which he typically is, but it’s been a rough 18 months for him. We would not have beat Tampa last year without him. He can flip a game by himself. He’s one of the fastest players on the ice when he gets going, and there are very few defensemen that are able to or willing to stop him at full speed.

I really think this will work out for both teams. Columbus has been looking for two competent offensive centers for years and now we have them.

And after clearing some cap space now, we have $9M in cap space, + Dubinsky’s 5.85 LTIR, with only PLD and Gavrikov to sign

So your exact words were "Anderson didn't move the needle" in the Playoff series when Columbus swept Tampa?

So again..im going to go with Columbus fan and majority of fans over your opinion of.. ONLY 3 points in 10 games! he of course must have sucked! Which i cannot find anyone but you saying about Anderson's playoff performance years ago.

Reactions: geo25

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
So again..im going to go with Columbus fan and majority of fans over your opinion
I mean, you can believe whatever you want, but you haven't actually substantiated why he's an impact player. It seems to be an arbitrary opinion, largely based off of his size (and I guess some random guy who agrees with you that you found). And while you can have that opinion all you want, if you are considering Anderson to be an impact player, the fact remains that in your description of changes, you left out other changes of equal significance (that didn't go along with your claim), on top of ignoring an obvious, highly-impacting factor like the hot goaltending they got this playoffs.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I mean, you can believe whatever you want, but you haven't actually substantiated why he's an impact player. It seems to be an arbitrary opinion, largely based off of his size (and I guess some random guy who agrees with you that you found). And while you can have that opinion all you want, if you are considering Anderson to be an impact player, the fact remains that in your description of changes, you left out other changes of equal significance (that didn't go along with your claim), on top of ignoring an obvious, highly-impacting factor like the hot goaltending they got this playoffs.
I have substantiated much more than you and your 3 points in 10 games means he sucks! Posts....

How about you do some substantiating....an NHL gm traded Max Domi and a pick for Anderson.... and the Columbus board and the NHL board is not laughing hysterically at the deal or the price of Anderson. They are saying if he regains the form of when Columbus swept Tampa (you know the season on which you said he barely moved the needle of being impact haha) .... then Montreal got a deal.

Yes OF COURSE I will be taking the opinions from the majority of posters on the NHL board and the Columbus board (who if anything have more reason to say he was a non impact player rather than support him as an impact player .... over your minority opinion of him being a non-impact player, who didn't move the needle in 2018. I have alot of respect for the posters in this forum, hence why I have been here for 14 years... there are very knowledgeable fans here and in this case their large majority (i don't think I have read one post except yours about him being a non impact player in 2018) opinion of Anderson definitely being an impact player in 2018.... very easily trumps yours of him being a player who "barely moves the needle".

Last edited:
Reactions: Beleafer34

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
How about you do some substantiating....
I'm not the one arbitrarily putting him in a group with starting goaltending and league superstars. Fact is, if you're counting him, you left out a lot.
NHL gms paid Brobrovsky 10 million per year, am NHL gm traded Max Domi and a pick for Anderson.... and the Columbus board and the NHL board is not laughing hysterically at the deal or the price of Anderson.
Actually, not that the main board is very informed on this stuff, but majority opinion was that that trade and those deals were all horrible, so not sure what you're looking at.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I'm not the one arbitrarily putting him in a group with starting goaltending and league superstars. Fact is, if you're counting him, you left out a lot.

Actually, not that the main board is very informed on this stuff, but majority opinion was that that trade and those deals were all horrible, so not sure what you're looking at.

Haha ok.... your all over the place... the majority feel that its a good deal IF Anderson is able to regain his 2018 form prior to his shoulder surgery...you know the form you said didn't move the needle?... majority feel if he regains this form then he is well worth the pay.

Just a friendly reminder... your argument is that Anderson in 2018-2019 didn't move the needle. And was a non impact player.

What he got in the off-season and how people feel about risks involved with a trade "AFTER" a major surgery has nothing to do with your opinion of him not being an impact player in 2018.

I think the fact montreal paid a big price for Anderson.... shows just how impactful he was in 2018-2019 because they are clearly banking on him regaining his form from 2018 ...again the year you said he was a non impact player.... NO team would have paid that price for a "non-impact" guy with 4 points in 26 games.

Oh and Brobrovsky had a .932 save percentage and 2.00 goals against average VS Tampa Bay last year.... I don't think its quite as clear as you proclaim that this years Columbus tandem (VS Leafs) was better than Brobrovsky Vs Tampa Bay.

Read this:
Sergei Bobrovsky Exorcised His Playoff Demons Against the Tampa Bay Lightning

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I think the fact montreal paid a big price for Anderson.... shows just how impactful he was in 2018-2019
No, it shows that Montreal can continue to make bad deals.
Oh and Brobrovsky had a .932 save percentage and 2.00 goals against average VS Tampa Bay last year.... I don't think its quite as clear as you proclaim that this years Columbus tandem (VS Leafs) was better than Brobrovsky Vs Tampa Bay.
Columbus got 0.952 goaltending this year against us. Nobody said Bobrovsky was bad, but it was pretty clearly better this year.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think all of those names would sit out over playing in the AHL.

Hamonic does interest me as a cheap bounce-back candidate though.

If we're going to do that I'd rather roll the dice on Vatanen

With Muzzin, Brodie, Dermott and Holl in the top 6 I think I'd lean towards the smooth skating puck mover since we can shelter him and give him a "defensive" minded partner

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I have not check this thread for a few days and it is still the same old stuff.
Leafs didn’t make the 16 teams playoffs last year, the opening night roster might see a diff of 6-8 new players than their last game.

Reactions: ACC1224

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

I don’t think Hamonic plays this year.

Travis Hamonic, a 29-year-old defenseman in his 10th NHL season, cited his young daughter's battle with a respiratory illness in 2019 as being a key factor in his decision. Travis Hamonic of the Flames is opting out of the NHL restart, his young daughter's battle last year with a respiratory illness being a key factor.

if by chance he was thinking of playing, I’d agree with you. Brassard too.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Just heard on the radio but only the end of it, what did Poulin said about buying out contract and stuff, sounds pretty interesting? Was is just his idea or he heard from players....

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I don’t think Hamonic plays this year.

Travis Hamonic, a 29-year-old defenseman in his 10th NHL season, cited his young daughter's battle with a respiratory illness in 2019 as being a key factor in his decision. Travis Hamonic of the Flames is opting out of the NHL restart, his young daughter's battle last year with a respiratory illness being a key factor.

if by chance he was thinking of playing, I’d agree with you. Brassard too.

I do wonder how many of the players who are in a similar situation have already informed the teams they wont be playing, and how the NHL will handle that on the cap.

I.E if a guy opts out of playing, does he still count against the cap? Does he go on LTIR? Is there a new category created? Does the team need to suspend him to get his sallary off the books? Does the player still get paid? If they have multiple years left on the contract, can he sit out this year without a cap hit and simply come back next year, or is their some kind of sliding penalty thats like a 'bonus overage'? Can a team trade a guy who is sitting out? If the players contract doesnt count, and they choose to come back, how does the games missed work against the cap, i.e. do you need to sit out the whole season and playoffs?

Its a pretty unprecedented situation, with a ton of variables.

I'm surprised isn't getting more of an open discussion in a hard capped league.
Maybe Tamp knows a guy making 5m+ has decided to sit out this year, so they know they have WAY more wiggle room than we know publicly. What if a team knows 'Player X' may not play, and he is on an expiring contract. Can they trade him to a team without telling them?

SO MANY POSIBILITIES FOR SHENANIGANS!

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I do wonder how many of the players who are in a similar situation have already informed the teams they wont be playing, and how the NHL will handle that on the cap.

I.E if a guy opts out of playing, does he still count against the cap? Does he go on LTIR? Is there a new category created? Does the team need to suspend him to get his sallary off the books? Does the player still get paid? If they have multiple years left on the contract, can he sit out this year without a cap hit and simply come back next year, or is their some kind of sliding penalty thats like a 'bonus overage'? Can a team trade a guy who is sitting out? If the players contract doesnt count, and they choose to come back, how does the games missed work against the cap, i.e. do you need to sit out the whole season and playoffs?

Its a pretty unprecedented situation, with a ton of variables.

I'm surprised isn't getting more of an open discussion in a hard capped league.
Maybe Tamp knows a guy making 5m+ has decided to sit out this year, so they know they have WAY more wiggle room than we know publicly. What if a team knows 'Player X' may not play, and he is on an expiring contract. Can they trade him to a team without telling them?

SO MANY POSIBILITIES FOR SHENANIGANS!
I would imagine it would be similar to the Byfuglien situation. Team could suspend the player without pay for failure to show up to training camp and that cap space would open up until that player is back on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad