Tracking the Playoffs Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
If I were coaching the team, I'd tell them to "control what you can control." Our team just needs to win one game each night we play. We can't affect what happens in the other games.

Moch Daear

Jan 9, 2011
Nothing changed really. We still have to win out to make it exciting. All I care about at this point is continuing to bust our *****, earn everything we can, and let fate handle the rest. The culture change, the "learning" how to win, etc is all much more important. Do they deserve playoffs after what would have to be a 19-5-5 run? Yea, but that run didn't start in a vacuum. The Jackets have won their fans back, have made other teams and their fans at least respect us, and have done what we would have laughed at two months plus ago: played meaningful games in April and won most of them ON THE ROAD.

Best of luck to our boys in Union Blue.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Dude, most people hated them before tonight, I just hate them more now.

This. I couldn't even watch the friggan game. I can't root for the Kings, and I knew they were going flop tonight. If we somehow get in the playoffs, I pray we face the Kings at some point.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Nothing changed really. We still have to win out to make it exciting. All I care about at this point is continuing to bust our *****, earn everything we can, and let fate handle the rest. The culture change, the "learning" how to win, etc is all much more important. Do they deserve playoffs after what would have to be a 19-5-5 run? Yea, but that run didn't start in a vacuum. The Jackets have won their fans back, have made other teams and their fans at least respect us, and have done what we would have laughed at two months plus ago: played meaningful games in April and won most of them ON THE ROAD.

Best of luck to our boys in Union Blue.

Good post.. that's all we can do... funny thing is, if I recall AP and most media experts I read said it would take 55 points to make the playoffs...

Well, we may get 55 points and miss the playoffs, few if any said ROW's could knock us out... To me, head to head competition should take precedence NOT ROW's...

We beat Detroit this season yet they will still advance if we end up tied.... that's not right.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Good post.. that's all we can do... funny thing is, if I recall AP and most media experts I read said it would take 55 points to make the playoffs...

Well, we may get 55 points and miss the playoffs, few if any said ROW's could knock us out... To me, head to head competition should take precedence NOT ROW's...

We beat Detroit this season yet they will still advance if we end up tied.... that's not right.

I've always felt that head-to-head should go first before ROWs. But then again I would appear biased if I say that now.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I've always felt that head-to-head should go first before ROWs. But then again I would appear biased if I say that now.

I think the NFL uses head to head as their first tie breaker....?? I am biased and don't care, if we end up tied with Detroit with 55 points the point will still be the same..

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think the NFL uses head to head as their first tie breaker....?? I am biased and don't care, if we end up tied with Detroit with 55 points the point will still be the same..

Yep. Head-to-head is first tiebreaker in the NFL.

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in common games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss

hsfgsteele

Apr 29, 2011
Canada
I still have faith in this team. One thing i've learned this season is to never count them out. I believe that we can win out, and that events that need to happen will. If not, this season will still be an absolute success.
I could care less about drafting postion (barring a jets miracle). This team isn't one that has been on the bubble and will continue to be there cause of lack of drafting top end talent (ie calgary), but one that I believe will be going nowhere but up.
This is a team that lives up to "We fight, we march!".

georgiabluejacket

Jun 6, 2002
Georgia
I still have faith in this team. One thing i've learned this season is to never count them out. I believe that we can win out, and that events that need to happen will. If not, this season will still be an absolute success.
I could care less about drafting postion (barring a jets miracle). This team isn't one that has been on the bubble and will continue to be there cause of lack of drafting top end talent (ie calgary), but one that I believe will be going nowhere but up.
This is a team that lives up to "We fight, we march!".

I'm not sure why there's this "well, hope for better next year" attitude on here. Do our chances look more bleak than they did 24 hours ago? Yep, but we still got a decent chance. Hell, we only had like a 3% chance when this whole thing started to begin with and we've done pretty good so far.

You think NSH & DAL wouldn't love to wreck either ours or Detroit's season? The players don't give a crap about their teams draft positioning, but they do care about the "rival" team they're taking on. You think Shea Weber is going to go into Nashville's dressing room and be like "hey guys, rough season. Last time we're gonna play Detroit as a division rival, so let's pat them on the back and say good luck in the future" HELL NO! He's gonna say "Let's take a nice $h!t on their sandwhich"(well hopefully he does) & he's gonna do the same thing on saturday when they face us. We win the next 2, we get in & we're on our way to being the second #8 seed to win the cup......It's our destiny

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This is the third or fourth time that many of these same folks have told us a result has ended the CBJ's run. Remember the northern road trip in late March that would determine the season? Team went 1-2-1. And the back-to-back losses to STL and MIN in early April, when there just wasn't anything left in the tank?

Jackets still ned to win out. Wings still need a loss in regulation. Hasn't changed. Just one fewer game for the Wings to get that loss. Is it beginning to seem less likely? Yep. Are all the sentiments about "nice run either way" true? Yep. But there's an entire offseason for nice sentiments. And I'd still like to think that offseason is going to start a little later than the end of the regular season.

*obligatory*

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
It's a test of faith.

Eko-and-Smoky.jpg

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
I would like to see the overtime period go to 10 minutes, 5 4 on 4 and then 5 3 on 3. You can still have the ties, but like the NFL, I think there would be much fewer then now. And no points for an overtime loss

ernmorris

Jun 9, 2008
Obviously our start to the season is the biggest blame, but the Kings recently have almost single handedly hurt us more than anything else.

We lose in LA then they turn around and give 2 points to the Wild and the Wings.

Now we have to rely on Nashville and/or Dallas (or Edmonton and Colorado, who the Wild play) to get the job done?? Ack!

But the only thing we can control is us so let's go out and get 2 wins and see what happens. The Wings have played pretty inspired hockey the last 2 games. Can they keep up that pace over the last 2? We shall see.

I love this team and would be really disappointed if we don't make it.

Hugg

Aug 2, 2005
Columbus
Despite our current situation, I have zero problem with ROW being the #1 tiebreaker. Detroit's won more actual hockey games than us, that's just the reality of it. We've won some extra skills competitions.

Detroit is 20-16-10 in actual hockey games. We're 17-17-12.

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Despite our current situation, I have zero problem with ROW being the #1 tiebreaker. Detroit's won more actual hockey games than us, that's just the reality of it. We've won some extra skills competitions.

My feelings as well. Unfortunately.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

Agreed as well.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

There are always the people that think wins in an unbalanced schedule mean more than head-to-head, even in an unbalanced schedule. What was the strength of schedule from both teams, strength of schedule for home games .vs. road games, etc?

I agree in principle, the shoot out is a menace (even if that isn't your conclusion I still agree that is what you meant).

Either way head to head is a FAR superior tie breaker over the silliness that is the ROW. Thanks NHL for adopting such idiotic methods of determining playoff lives.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
There are always the people that think wins in an unbalanced schedule mean more than head-to-head, even in an unbalanced schedule. What was the strength of schedule from both teams, strength of schedule for home games .vs. road games, etc?

I agree in principle, the shoot out is a menace (even if that isn't your conclusion I still agree that is what you meant).

Either way head to head is a FAR superior tie breaker over the silliness that is the ROW. Thanks NHL for adopting such idiotic methods of determining playoff lives.

Couldn't agree with this post more. The Howson Rule is not logical in my mind. It should be a secondary tiebreaker at best. Head-to-head should be and always be the #1 tiebreaker. And before somebody says it, I wouldn't feel any differently if the shoe was on the other foot. It's a bush rule created by an inept hockey manager. Collectively, all the GM were assinine for approving this change in tiebreak. As for the unbalanced schedule, take away whichever game you want between the Wings and Jackets, the Jackets still took all but one point from the Wings. If the Wings get in if tied, it will be a travesty. Here's a novel idea, play one more game to break the tie. Team who won the head-to-head gets home ice. I could go along with that because at least the teams hold their destiny in their hands.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
I actually disagree with the last 2 posts quite strongly.

The shootout is a sideshow. A skills competition of one on one. It is a stupid way to decide games just to "resolve" the game because we live in a black and white society and somebody has to "win." Having the ROW as the first tiebreaker acknowledges this.

In this situation head to head is just 4 games. Had the tiebreaker been with another team in another division it would have been 2 games. I'm not a fan of small sample sizes deciding things

A team that is 20-16-10 IS better than a team that is 17-17-12 over the course of the entire season. The second team was just slightly at a skills completion. A skills competition that mind you, is not used in the playoffs.

So if you're trying to determine which team is a better representative in the playoffs, the decision is pretty obvious. The one with the better non shootout record.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Nashville just sent Forsberg and Watson back to Milwaukee.

:p:

edit: AND THEY MIGHT BE STARTING (chris) MASON INSTEAD OF RINNE.

Angry viqsi is ANGRY.

Last edited:

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Nashville's going to do what they believe is in their best interests, not ours.

I'd rather focus on the Jackets getting the win tonight vs. getting upset that a team with nothing to play for likely isn't going all out to beat the Wings tonight. You never know; the Wings just might crap the bed tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad