Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Us then: yay torts
Us now: expiration date

Agreed, not funny.

Us then: yay torts, enough coddling of these lazy-ass players
Us now: boo torts, he's too hard on players

That's funny, to me. Not everyone shares my sense of humor.

You're funny? How are you funny? I'm off to get my shoe shine kit....:sarcasm::laugh:

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Tortorella told the Blue Jackets website that after making the Stanley Cup Playoffs the past four seasons, Columbus saw its game decline this season in part because of roster upheaval.
"The core of this team has been together, and we were growing, we were getting there, and things have fallen off," Tortorella said before the Blue Jackets lost 4-3 at home to the Chicago Blackhawks. "The business end of it comes in, players wanting to leave and stuff like that, and you know what? You need to start over. I'll be honest with you, it needs to start over because there are just a lot of different personalities that come in.
"I don't know if they fit or not. We've still got to go through the process of trying to figure out who they are, who we are. Are we going to do it together? And do you understand? Are you going to buy in? And all that stuff. I don't have the answer as far as where it goes right now. We're still trying to find out about the new personnel coming in here."

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Tortorella told the Blue Jackets website that after making the Stanley Cup Playoffs the past four seasons, Columbus saw its game decline this season in part because of roster upheaval.
"The core of this team has been together, and we were growing, we were getting there, and things have fallen off," Tortorella said before the Blue Jackets lost 4-3 at home to the Chicago Blackhawks. "The business end of it comes in, players wanting to leave and stuff like that, and you know what? You need to start over. I'll be honest with you, it needs to start over because there are just a lot of different personalities that come in.
"I don't know if they fit or not. We've still got to go through the process of trying to figure out who they are, who we are. Are we going to do it together? And do you understand? Are you going to buy in? And all that stuff. I don't have the answer as far as where it goes right now. We're still trying to find out about the new personnel coming in here."

Oh. I wonder if Jarmo agrees.

If he does, I don't see us keeping Werenski and Jones. Or maybe even Laine.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
This sounds explicitly directed to Laine. And I don’t disagree

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I don't see it nearly as dire as that. I think by "start over" he means end the season and try again, not replace even more people.
In other words...

Getting ready for the Torts off-season gauntlet from hell boys. This is gonna be one of those, make everybody hate the coach so they bond around it kind of off seasons

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
Yeah I don't think he meant nuking the current team and starting over entirely. The way I understood it, it was more about having to redo the whole process of developing the culture with these new players, but also that these new guys might require a different approach and style of play than the team of the past five years was built for.

If you look at the roster from the last game, from the old forward core you only have Atkinson and Bjorkstrand left, so it's not like they need to sell every single player to start building something new. I think it's more about finding a style of game that fits the current roster best.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
And Merzlikins, Stenlund, Bemstrom, Texier, Foudy, and Kukan...

I'm confident that Torts' comments and numerous comments from Foligno (~"We've got to set the standard for the new guys") are more about Laine, Domi, and maybe Roslovic.

Domi's playing great lately and he's a good interview but he was an absolute disaster in the first half. The Jackets were a bad team then but funny enough they were above even in goal differential with Domi on the bench, he made that much of a difference. When you watch a teammate with his head up his ass for that long it bugs the heck out of you.

Now it's Laine's turn to not score at all and rack up minuses night after night.

Stenlund, Texier, etc... those kids are playing the best hockey of their life. It might be underwhelming but you tell me when Stenlund has ever skated faster. And Texier in particular is working his butt off.

In other words...

Getting ready for the Torts off-season gauntlet from hell boys. This is gonna be one of those, make everybody hate the coach so they bond around it kind of off seasons

Torts loves that stuff. But in this case there isn't a coach in the league that wouldn't have an issue on their hands with some of the play we've seen this year. Domi and Laine had coachability concerns before coming here, it's not like Torts invented this. This isn't even the worst stretch of Laine's career (that would be second half of 2019).

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Who’s going to start the prediction thread on who our new coach will be ?
Manny Malhotra with Jukka Jalonen on his staff ?

Gerald Gallant ? Tony Granato from Wisconsin ? Richard Gronberg ?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I really, really hope we don't go after Gallant. He actually is what folks assume Torts is when it comes to shelf life; he's been fired early - midway through his third season - in EVERY SINGLE ONE of his NHL head coaching jobs. At some point it ceases to be strange coincidence.

he must be hard to work with as a management/ownership person. But his players seem to like him.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Gallant’s name has been bandied about and is a guy I like though his apparent issues with management are a concern (Especially since Jarmo is a highly stubborn guy). However, I don’t think we would be able to afford Gallant or someone similar.

The Money Issue may boost the chance we hire Malhotra (or similar first time NHL coach). Admittedly that concerns me.

As an aside, Torts comments about Jarmo - not him - wanting to see some guys was to me a near confirmation Torts isn’t coming back.

Reactions: Stubu

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
We'll have to pass a message to the Captain to bring Manny along as well when he comes back home.

1C be damned, this would be the perfect offseason. Anything else would be gravy.

(Note: This is a slight bit of hyperbole. Please don't think I don't believe other roster upgrades are necessary.)

Reactions: Viqsi

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Don't forget too that Manny came back to the organization on a PTO with the Monsters in 2015-16, so he and Jarmo are presumably familiar with each other (although perhaps that was more the Bill Zito side than the Jarmo side). That also means he was teammates with Bjorkstrand and Korpi. Perhaps means a little something. Perhaps nothing.

Either way, I'm starting to get on board with it...

ETA: He of course also knows Nash and other guys in the organization like Boll and Tyutin.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
How Manny Malhotra became one of the NHL's most promising young coaches

I am just going to put this out there right now, so that it doesn't surprise anyone if it should happen.

If Manny Malhotra is named the next coach of the CBJ, I will cry tears of joy. Literally weep.

Great story.

Also, Hitch is the best. I honestly think he's neck-and-neck with Torts as best coach (with a nice honorable mention to Dave King) we've had, but those late 2000s CBJ teams had (comparatively) no talent compared to the recent versions. Thanks, Doug.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I had to stop following Hockey Hound because this is their schtick, "breaking news" about stuff we've known all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad