Torts Reform: Coaching Discussion Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
- I didn't say that. Cmon now. There are many ways a boss can be short-sighted.

- Yeah, a lot more than three. You're not a statistician are you?

Nope. I’m a journalist and musician.

But it doesn’t take someone with my obvious credentials to apply the eye test to three situations that happened exactly the same involving the se person and wonder whether the obvious common denominator is the obvious one.

Per your reply to Monster, of course it is the FO job to weed that stuff out. My beef isn’t that he’s been fired three times. My beef is I’d prefer to see someone else hired as the next head coach.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
TRAIKOS: With Blue Jackets' losses piling up, why hasn't John Tortorella been fired yet? | Toronto Sun

Mike Babcock, Gerard Gallant and Bruce Boudreau are currently out of work. But Tortorella, who chased Pierre-Luc Dubois out of Columbus and is now ruining Patrik Laine’s career, is still being paid to coach. He’s still in a position in which he gets to bench Max Domi and make roster decisions. He’s still given a platform in which he gets to refuse to answer reporters’ questions.

Laine, who has gone without scoring goals in 19 of the past 21 games, has just 10 goals and 18 points this season. Domi, who was recently a healthy scratch for two straight games, has just seven goals and 19 points.
Those are career-low numbers for both players. Meanwhile, Josh Anderson, who was traded to Montreal in exchange for Domi, is enjoying his best season in the NHL.
Coincidence? Not if you read between the lines of what Merzlikins is saying.
“I’m tired,” said the 26-year-old goalie. “Like, I’m tired of losing the games. I know we are trying, but this is getting embarrassing … It’s painful.”
Until Tortorella is gone, don’t expect any relief.

Last edited:
Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
TRAIKOS: With Blue Jackets' losses piling up, why hasn't John Tortorella been fired yet? | Toronto Sun

Mike Babcock, Gerard Gallant and Bruce Boudreau are currently out of work. But Tortorella, who chased Pierre-Luc Dubois out of Columbus and is now ruining Patrik Laine’s career, is still being paid to coach. He’s still in a position in which he gets to bench Max Domi and make roster decisions. He’s still given a platform in which he gets to refuse to answer reporters’ questions.

Laine, who has gone without scoring goals in 19 of the past 21 games, has just 10 goals and 18 points this season. Domi, who was recently a healthy scratch for two straight games, has just seven goals and 19 points.
Those are career-low numbers for both players. Meanwhile, Josh Anderson, who was traded to Montreal in exchange for Domi, is enjoying his best season in the NHL.
“I’m tired,” said the 26-year-old goalie. “Like, I’m tired of losing the games. I know we are trying, but this is getting embarrassing … It’s painful.”

That piece is indeed a piece

Of crap.

jacketsnation

Jul 25, 2017
Patrick Roy wants to return to the NHL in some capacity, according to agent Neil Glasberg.

I would love roy as our head coach

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
And what about Bob Hartley? He won Stanlsey Cup with Colorado, only when he was a coach in Atlanta it played in PO. He`s one of the best coaches in KHL. If not the best. And what`s happen us... Under him Avangard playes an aggressive, offensive hockey, Avangard was one of the best PPG in the regular season. Btw, one knows Chinakhov but of course, it isn`t the most important thing.

Although IMHO Torts is good but maybe it`s time to change some assistent/s. We`ll see. But don`t forget it`s a specific season. We`re one of the youngest teams in NHL, we had many problems etc. Another season `ll be better.

Nobody knows why PLD waned to be trade. Because if he would be traded he would never start to negotiation of a new contract Nobody ruins Laine`s and Domi`s career. Btw Max is better now. Patrik must learn many things but he`ll be fine here. It isn`t about Torts. Btw Babcock, Gallant and Boudreau... one better than other especially Boudreau.

Last edited:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I'm just going to call it right now.
Torts becomes Assistant GM and put in charge of the Monsters. Brad Shaw becomes head coach.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The perfect next job for Torts is in the studio for ESPN or TNT. Let him rant about hockey a few minutes. It would be entertaining television. I’d love to hear him discuss why a team was struggling. Could you imagine him breaking down Vancouver or St. Louis or the Rangers this year? Or talking about Edmonton’s goal differential with and without McDavid on the ice? Or discussing why a team like Florida with several former Jackets is having success?

Maybe let him rant on other non NHL topics at time. Put him with Charles Barkley on TNT to cross promote. Let him interview Brett Favre about sports and politics.

He is too close to the team, otherwise I’d want him on the Blue Jackets broadcasts. Maybe in a few years when the roster has had more turnover.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I'm just going to call it right now.
Torts becomes Assistant GM and put in charge of the Monsters. Brad Shaw becomes head coach.

For some reason I think Torts sticks around (the CBJ) in some fashion. Not sure where, but I think that is a big reason he hasn't been let go.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Torts isn’t done coaching by a long shot. He was an analyst on NHL Network for all of like 2 weeks before we hired him. I can’t see him doing that long term and can you imagine him as a GM? He’d be making trades every other week. He will be hired by Buffalo as their coach like a week after the season ends is my guess.

Reactions: GoJackets1

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Torts isn’t done coaching by a long shot. He was an analyst on NHL Network for all of like 2 weeks before we hired him. I can’t see him doing that long term and can you imagine him as a GM? He’d be making trades every other week. He will be hired by Buffalo as their coach like a week after the season ends is my guess.
A Buffalo hiring may be our best to get Eichel. :sarcasm:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Assistant GM. Developing kids in Cleveland is right up his alley.

Reactions: EspenK

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn

I've never understood the opinion that he's going to retire. Maybe he is, but it's not obvious to me.

LokiCalder

Apr 20, 2021
I think if Brad Shaw was the plan, or even in consideration for future HC, then they would have fired Torts 20-25 games ago. I'm 95% sure they're going to go out of the organization for a hire. The other 5% is Torts coming back, for some inexplicable reason.

20-25 games ago? Tf? Lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad