Pre-Game Talk: Toronto @ Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
This.
The first time was fun, kinda.
But the bickering is exhausting. There's no substance to it.

:nod:

Just my two cents, but calling us the Thrashers (alright, I guess we can call them the St. Patrick's? :dunno:) and taking shots at our city (jeez, I'd sure hope there'd be more to do in Toronto, they've 7x the population of Winnipeg) speaks more to insecurity and immaturity of certain posters than to anything worth fighting about. Heck, it seems like a handful of their own fans have taken those posters to task, we shouldn't have to.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I just hope we can stay away from posting in their GDT the way they did ours regardless of how the game is going.

We've got a classy and awesome group of posters here on HF Jets. I wouldn't expect anything else. :)

Also, a reminder to please report trolling posts rather than responding. It's a major help to our mods.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Agreed, well put and that is how i conduct myself when i attend visiting stadiums during sporting events (NFL/MLB) Been to a few games at Fenway Park wearing my Yankees gear and never had an issue. Was provocted a lot but never responded

Yeah I never got why people take something like a game so seriously that it gets out of hand. I went to Yankee Stadium last year when the Red Sox were in town. I was up in the nosebleeds and there were plenty of BoSox fans. There was a lot of very good-natured ribbing back and forth but there wasn't even a sniff of bad blood. The Sox beat the Yankees 8-3 too.

If I was any good at photoshopping and I had this game... I'd do a 'bumpkin' edition GDT just for fun. Have all the Jets riding tractors, with hoes instead of sticks, wheat in their mouths, that kind of thing :)

ghost88*

Why do I have this feeling we're going to lose 3-1? I really hope it's not the case.

Roooski

Sep 21, 2011
We could really use Peluso in this one. Or at least activate Thorbs. Should be a tough game in more than one way.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
We could really use Peluso in this one. Or at least activate Thorbs. Should be a tough game in more than one way.

I wouldn't have minded seeing Peluso dummying Orr or McLaren, but I'll settle for exposing them as plugs.

That's right, no love for the hometown boys.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I thought you only calling them plugs and not much worse was showing love for Manitobans. :naughty:

Haha! Touche. From what I understand they're both good guys, so I decided to be charitable.

Seriously though, I hope Carlyle feels unconscious pressure to play them in front of family and friends, and gives them 10+ minutes worth of icetime.

Why not just skate around their Pylons? Also, no Thorbs. He usually gets beat up.

True, mind you he dealt with McLaren pretty well in their last meeting.

I'd rather just play skill players against them, rather than waste precious opportunities against them by putting a grinder/goon on the ice.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Haha! Touche. From what I understand they're both good guys, so I decided to be charitable.

Seriously though, I hope Carlyle feels unconscious pressure to play them in front of family and friends, and gives them 10+ minutes worth of icetime.

True, mind you he dealt with McLaren pretty well in their last meeting.

I'd rather just play skill players against them, rather than waste precious opportunities against them by putting a grinder/goon on the ice.

exactly. if i'm noel i'm putting my kane line out against those plugs every chance he gets

Roooski

Sep 21, 2011
Why not just skate around their Pylons? Also, no Thorbs. He usually gets beat up.

We haven't been able to skate around any pylons this year. And yes Thorbs gets beat up but I don't see Antro or Ollie standing up to anyone. Stuart isn't much better. What happened to getting bigger?? Just saying that the Leafs play a very physical style......which we do not.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
We haven't been able to skate around any pylons this year. And yes Thorbs gets beat up but I don't see Antro or Ollie standing up to anyone. Stuart isn't much better. What happened to getting bigger?? Just saying that the Leafs play a very physical style......which we do not.

style is irrelevant. results are all that matter. Thorbs, regardless of his style, does not positively influence results in any measurable way. Or IMO in any visual way either.

Keep him our. The jets didn't lose to the leafs last time because we got out truculence, we lost because we didn't have enough players positively influence the result of the game ;)

Roooski

Sep 21, 2011
Fair enough. For the record I was not advocating that Thorbs is a beast and would be the answer.

I think the style is irrelevant comment is inaccurate. If you play a defensive style....which is what Noel employs....you limit other teams that are better offensively to less chances, which the Jets have done quite well at, hence most if not all of our wins coming from 1-2 goal games.

A physical style creates room for yourself as some players will think twice about going into the corners or along the boards. A split second can make a huge difference when you have the puck, allowing someone to become open or a shot on net, etc etc.

I strongly believe that our 3/4 line scoring suffers because we simply can not forecheck physically or aggressivly enough. With the exception of Wright, our forecheck is inconsistant. That could also be to blame on Noel playing a 1-3-1.

EDIT: Just to add, by physical/standing up I do not mean fighting or beating someone up. Rather finishing checks, taking checks, digging in the corners and along the boards, creating open ice, etc. Far too many times I see Little getting crushed or manhandeld in front of the net.

Last edited:

dcypher

Feb 7, 2013
With the snow melting here in the peg. I think they'll be alright and win. If not by a landslide. Me thinks 3-2.

I'm just feeling all positive lately. Our team needs it.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I think we do play a more physical style of hockey. We don't really goon it up but this team can trade blows with the best of them. I thought we answered NJ quite well last game in the hit department after the first where we were obviously not ready to play.

Roooski

Sep 21, 2011
I thought we answered by playing better defensivly but you can make an arguement that was because we stepped up the hitting.

For the records I hate the GOON term. They are basically extinct....in this day and age you have to be able to do more than one thing to crack a line up.

wpgJetsfan

Dec 24, 2010
If the Jets don't start winning home games our Season will be over. We have 14 games at home left. Our road record is way better than last year but it appears we are going in reverse. Bad at home and great on the road.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Here's a good description of the Jets from a poster in the Leafs GDT:

For sure, Jets lost tonight to devils in OT but won three straight road games before that. Unlike last year, they are playing better on the road (8-5-2) than at home (4-6-0). Evander Kane playing well lately, had that long point streak, Pavelic has steped it up lately but he can give up 5-6 goals any time. Basically the Jets are consistently inconsistent.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Urgh, just realized I have tickets for this game. Only have the ticket since I was the very last pick in the draft, nobody in their right mind wanted this game. Sigh. Only time I have ever been legitimately pissed off about away fans is when Leafs come to town, and only time I have ever seen fights (3-4 last year at one game) was when the Leafs were in town. Some of the Leaf fans that show up at games are just so stupid. It's possible to be an away fan and have fun with the home fanbase, but not with some Leafers which ruins the fanbase for all. So glad we will be down to 1 game a year here against them next year.

I was at the first Leafs game this year and it wasn't nearly as bad as last year. Last year a guy in our season ticket group got at a beer thrown on him by a drunk (could barely stand) Leafs fan. The game this year there was a lot less Leafs jerseys. My guess a lot of them went to there one game last year and paid through the nose for the privilege.

That being said a guy behind us was cheering for the Leafs and I asked him why he was a Leafs fan, thinking he was some delusional masochistic Winnipeger, but it turned out to be a pretty nice guy from Toronto on business and was happy as a pig in **** to get a ticket. He also said the crowd at the hanger blew away anything he has experienced in Toronto. If you are on the road all the power to you for cheering for your team. But if you are a Winnipeger I don't get cheering for the Cleveland Browns of the NHL.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
they should win this game if they keep playing their system. Dont expect to catch the leafs napping at all. But, if the PP magically picks up for tomorrow, we should win this one.

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
the Jets can win this one even if the Leafs play their system. it won't be easy though. A games are required from everyone. of course, if the PP suddenly decides to work, even just once, it gets a lot better looking for the home side.

Given the fact that the Jets have the most ice-time of any team in the league being within 2 goals of the opposition.... I'll say this is going to be a close one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad