Sportsnet: Toronto wants the 2017 Winter Classic

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
They need to just make a massive stadium..

Think about what that does for MLSE instantly. You have TFC, the Argos, even more attraction of an NFL team, World Cup events, plus a massive event like The Winter Classic.

That's instant profit from the one in 2017, and then everything after that is profit.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
They need to just make a massive stadium..

Think about what that does for MLSE instantly. You have TFC, the Argos, even more attraction of an NFL team, World Cup events, plus a massive event like The Winter Classic.

That's instant profit from the one in 2017, and then everything after that is profit.

A "massive" stadium probably costs over a billion dollars to build. TFC cant come close to filling a massive stadium, neither can the Argos. So you are going to have these teams playing in stadiums that are at best a quarter full.

Things like the World Cup or the Winter Classic would be extremely infrequent. What do you do with the facility the rest of the year?

NFL is unlikely to be heading here, but even that is only 8 dates a year.

Its tough to justify the costs

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
It is not only Toronto's 100th year, but Ottawa's 25th as a modern franchise, 75th if you count both, and Canada's 150th. Ottawa and Toronto should have a home and home. Would be great to see an alumni game with Alfie and Redden and what not against Sundin and Domi and what not

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
I hope this is true would be HUGEEEE[/QUOT

Not with my tax dollars thank you, the last I heard the Gardiner is about to collapse, hopefully not on your way to the one day event that fills the pockets of billionaires.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Not with my tax dollars thank you, the last I heard the Gardiner is about to collapse, hopefully not on your way to the one day event that fills the pockets of billionaires.

Lucky for you, it won't be for a few years; giving plenty of time to leave the city.

Last edited:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
It is not only Toronto's 100th year, but Ottawa's 25th as a modern franchise, 75th if you count both, and Canada's 150th. Ottawa and Toronto should have a home and home. Would be great to see an alumni game with Alfie and Redden and what not against Sundin and Domi and what not

Any major NHL event in the league's centennial should not include a Johnny-come-lately like the modern Senators.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Any major NHL event in the league's centennial should not include a Johnny-come-lately like the modern Senators.

agreed
Original Six only please and potatoes.

(will accept the first wave of expansion teams) :laugh:

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
The Winter Classic will more than likely require an American opponent. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the American O6 teams or the Pens. I'd say that Rangers make the least amount of sense but a lot can happen in 3 years. Would be cool to see at BMO but the expansion would be necessary. BMO has a pretty great view of the city from one end of the field.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
if tim leiweke can get us the all-star game, draft and the winter classic all in 2017, i will be thoroughly impressed.

i have a feeling all 3 can be had by the leafs in 2017. if the winter classic is not possible, then a heritage classic for that year at least.

BluPuk*

They should definitely get the WWE involved. They know how to put on a real spectacle.:sarcasm:

82SeriesWatcher

Aug 5, 2011
having just been to ann arbor, no location in the GTA is really worthy. That said, I think BC Place for the march game is stupid...BMo field is just a downright stupid idea...

my 2 cents, blackhawks/leafs at notre dame stadium...or leafs/rangers at met life stadium or yankee stadium...

honestly, not sure how they top this recent game...

imo view, best is this recent game, then edmonton montreal and then the buf pit game....

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
if tim leiweke can get us the all-star game, draft and the winter classic all in 2017, i will be thoroughly impressed.

i have a feeling all 3 can be had by the leafs in 2017. if the winter classic is not possible, then a heritage classic for that year at least.

I'd settle for Stamkos as a UFA and the Stanley Cup... :laugh:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'd settle for Stamkos as a UFA and the Stanley Cup... :laugh:

:laugh:

exactly!
we should all write Tim

"Dear Tim - Leafs Nation thought about it. We don't want the draft. We want Stamkos. Make it so."

but - I find it very surprising that out of all the teams that has had a Heritage Classic - the Leafs haven't had one yet. in fact, minus Winnipeg - aren't we the ONLY one not to have one? [googling...]

Even Winnipeg gets one before we do (and I doubt we'll be their "Away" team )

that just makes no sense to me.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
:laugh:

exactly!
we should all write Tim

"Dear Tim - Leafs Nation thought about it. We don't want the draft. We want Stamkos. Make it so."

but - I find it very surprising that out of all the teams that has had a Heritage Classic - the Leafs haven't had one yet. in fact, minus Winnipeg - aren't we the ONLY one not to have one? [googling...]

Even Winnipeg gets one before we do (and I doubt we'll be their "Away" team )

that just makes no sense to me.

We don't really have a good outdoor stadium though.

BMO is too tiny, The Dome would be good but it's only semi-outdoors if you have the roof open, maybe now that Rogers owns part of the Leafs they'll be all for having the Dome be open to the elements in the middle of winter but they tend to not let that happen. no drainage or something on the field.

All the other cities have decent sized outdoor stadiums, or have been the away team.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Winter Classic then Heritage Classic in 1 weekend.

;)

Friday afternoon Leafs play some american team
Saturday night, under bright lights, Leafs play Montreal.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
ew, tired of seeing the rangers in the outdoor games. would rather see a leafs/bruins match-up or leafs/blackhawks match-up

The Rangers are one of the Eastern Conference teams that still feels completely alien to me even after so many years back in the East. They may as well be Phoenix.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00