Sportsnet: Toronto wants the 2017 Winter Classic

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Per Sportsnet, plans almost in place to renovate BMO for the 2017 WC

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/24-7/winter-classic-could-be-coming-to-toronto/

ANN ARBOR, Mich. – A complicated and costly deal is in the works that would see Toronto’s BMO Field significantly expanded in time for the Maple Leafs to host the Winter Classic in their centennial season, Sportsnet has learned.

Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment has held high-level discussions with the municipal, provincial and federal government and believes that they are all on board with renovating the six-year-old stadium, according to president and CEO Tim Leiweke. The driving force behind the proposed expansion is a desire to hold major events like the Winter Classic and NHL sources indicate that Toronto is in line to land the signature outdoor game should the building’s capacity be increased.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Toronto as a Flag ship franchise of the NHL with the largest fan base certainly deserves to receive an outdoor game.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
They will get it for their centennial year. They will get the draft and the All-Star game too.

What a great year for Toronto that would be, all though it didn't work out so well for Montreal in their centennial year though...

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
They will get it for their centennial year. They will get the draft and the All-Star game too.

What a great year for Toronto that would be, all though it didn't work out so well for Montreal in their centennial year though...
My wallet

contour

Mar 31, 2011
The goal of the winter classic is to promote hockey in the US. If we do get the winter classic, unfortunately, Leafs won't get to play the Habs or any other Canadian team. It'll likely be the Pens or Bruins

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The goal of the winter classic is to promote hockey in the US. If we do get the winter classic, unfortunately, Leafs won't get to play the Habs or any other Canadian team. It'll likely be the Pens or Bruins

Sabres maybe?

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
vs. Montreal Please!

As awesome as that would be, it will be an American team.

Toronto Montreal would happen in a stadium series, maybe, not the winter classic.
My guess is it'd be vs Boston, Chicago or the NYR

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Conventional wisdom would lead one to expect an American opponent if it is a Winter Classic. However, remember that 2017 is also the NHL's centennial, so I think there is a chance that they might want to tie the Winter Classic into that and feature the only two teams that have been there since the beginning: Leafs and Canadiens.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Conventional wisdom would lead one to expect an American opponent if it is a Winter Classic. However, remember that 2017 is also the NHL's centennial, so I think there is a chance that they might want to tie the Winter Classic into that and feature the only two teams that have been there since the beginning: Leafs and Canadiens.

Maybe if not Montreal, we could play Chicago?
Boston would be awesome as well

but truly, i'd give everything up (all star game, draft, the classic (or heritage) etc) if our boys won the cup in 2017.

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
vs. Montreal Please!

I know it's a big rivalry and all but I hate that team and their fans, don't want to be connected to them for something so big and have to listen to them, it's been nice not hearing about the Habs at all for the past few months with the focus on the Red Wings and the Winter Classic.

Swarez

Mar 10, 2011
So it's going to cost something between 60-120 million to renovate the stadium, and the government is going to pay?
No be else has a problem with is?

TFC doesn't need a larger stadium, they don't sell out now.
Argos have a very limited fan base that shows up
Rugby? Is there a massive need for this, can they not play at varsity, York or the cricket grounds?

Don't waste tax dollars on a one time event, that will be wasted almost all the time.

Just figure out a way to do it in the sky dome.

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
So it's going to cost something between 60-120 million to renovate the stadium, and the government is going to pay?
No be else has a problem with is?

TFC doesn't need a larger stadium, they don't sell out now.
Argos have a very limited fan base that shows up
Rugby? Is there a massive need for this, can they not play at varsity, York or the cricket grounds?

Don't waste tax dollars on a one time event, that will be wasted almost all the time.

Just figure out a way to do it in the sky dome.

If MLSE wants to expand it, they should pay for the majority of costs. I think when they said all levels of Government are on board it was in regards to regulations and permits to approve expansion , not financing it.

Swarez

Mar 10, 2011
If MLSE wants to expand it, they should pay for the majority of costs. I think when they said all levels of Government are on board it was in regards to regulations and permits to approve expansion , not financing it.

The article says lewickie thinks all three will kick in money. Doesn't mention Mlse putting there money in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad