Sportsnet: Toronto wants the 2017 Winter Classic

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
I'm guessing the renovation will also get the Argos into BMO Field..

Wonder if TFC will temporarily relocate to Skydome for a season or two.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It'll probably be against the Sabres or Boston. 2 of our biggest US rivals.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
So it's going to cost something between 60-120 million to renovate the stadium, and the government is going to pay?
No be else has a problem with is?

TFC doesn't need a larger stadium, they don't sell out now.
Argos have a very limited fan base that shows up
Rugby? Is there a massive need for this, can they not play at varsity, York or the cricket grounds?

Don't waste tax dollars on a one time event, that will be wasted almost all the time.

Just figure out a way to do it in the sky dome.

An NFL franchise in Toronto is probably the end game here.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
The goal of the winter classic is to promote hockey in the US. If we do get the winter classic, unfortunately, Leafs won't get to play the Habs or any other Canadian team. It'll likely be the Pens or Bruins

Definitely against a US original six, Leafs vs Bruins, Rangers, Wings, Hawks

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
So it's going to cost something between 60-120 million to renovate the stadium, and the government is going to pay?
No be else has a problem with is?

TFC doesn't need a larger stadium, they don't sell out now.
Argos have a very limited fan base that shows up
Rugby? Is there a massive need for this, can they not play at varsity, York or the cricket grounds?

Don't waste tax dollars on a one time event, that will be wasted almost all the time.

Just figure out a way to do it in the sky dome.

Rather they spend it renovations vs pocketing our tax dollars.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
An NFL franchise in Toronto is probably the end game here.

If we build an NFL sized stadium, we would be able to do the Winter Classic, NFL Team, as well as look better for our 2024 bid for the olympics(which is definitely being planned).

I think it makes sense to expand or build a big stadium, obviously money is the issue.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
dont think money is an issue for Toronto

It is a pretty big issue. As someone who grew up in Toronto, the city has one of the worst issues of traffic congestion of any city in North America. Public transit is very inadequate and Rob Ford's policies have only exacerbated that issue.

Unless the feds, the province, or MLSE funds it, the city will struggle to pay for such sports infrastructure.

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
put it in the skydome with the roof open or closed. that would be awesome.

that said the NHL would never do this as it wouldn't benefit the Americans, as like with everything else the NHL does. Its all about improving American Hockey at the expense of Canadians.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
They failed the ice storm test. No outdoor hockey game for TO! lol

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

that said the NHL would never do this as it wouldn't benefit the Americans, as like with everything else the NHL does. Its all about improving American Hockey at the expense of Canadians.

i heard that once the skydome closes the roof for the winter, it can't be opened again? (I don't know why).

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
i heard that once the skydome closes the roof for the winter, it can't be opened again? (I don't know why).
They seal it off for the winter typically after the Jays last home game. Sure they could plan to open it up mid-winter if they wanted. Don't know how weather and cold proof the inside of the stadium is however.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

They said the same thing about todays WC. It happened. What a WC in Toronto will do for the league, and its American teams, is make money. Lots and lots of money.

LeafsFIO*

really hope the Leafs win the cup in 2017. End the drought right at 50 years and in the centennial.

Would love a game vs. Habs but Habs vs. Leafs at The Big O would be legendary.

Play winter classic vs. Ottawa and murder their weak alumni team :laugh:

Bluejaysfan*

Leafs vs Habs is the obvious one that should happen, if it does not, I hope they play each other when Montreal hosts a Heritage Classic in the next few years. Leafs vs Bruins would be great, by that point in time, Chara will have probably retired meaning Kessel can begin wrecking Boston consistently. I would personally love to see the Leafs vs Hawks however because of they are both Original 6, by then, the Leafs should be one of the top contenders in the NHL along with the Hawks. It would make the league a lot of money with those 2 franchises and tbh the Leafs and the Blackhawks have the 2 most visually appealing uniforms in the league.

Swarez

Mar 10, 2011
Rather they spend it renovations vs pocketing our tax dollars.

They won't do it with tax dollars, they do it with debt, which means taxes have to go up or stay the same (never down) as you need the tax dollars to cover new debt.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I think it's pretty much guaranteed that we are getting the all-star game and the NHL Draft.

A Winter Classic against Montreal, or even Detroit again in that year would be a marvelous centennial season.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Re-match vs Detroit! Also an NFL franchise in TO would be awesome. I may even jump ship from the Jets to cheer for you guys, even though I have literally zero affiliation with the city of Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad