Series Talk: Toronto vs Boston - Round #1 - PGDT (NOT for other series' discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I think it is bogus on how the NHL deals with these type of in game scenarios. The NFL has it right. Rask should have been pulled for concussion protocol immediately since he stayed down and the contact was to the head. Although I hate the fact that Rask got injured, leaving the decision up to the Bruins is incorrect. NHL needs to pull players at any occurrence where a head injury is suspected. With Rask's history of concussions this was a no brainer and the NHL/Bruins dropped the ball. No given game is more important then a players health.

To be honest, I actually thought it had more to do with his leg than anything. He was holding on to it and wincing, and seeing how his leg bent on the replay, I figured it was more that than his head.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Looks like a Legit top 4 RHD, if he can play this way consistently, he goes from overpaid to being on a bargain of a contract

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
To be honest, I actually thought it had more to do with his leg than anything. He was holding on to it and wincing, and seeing how his leg bent on the replay, I figured it was more that than his head.
He was flexing and rotating his neck for the entire time, it looked like body/shoulder directly to his head.

Concussion protocol in the league is non-existent now (despite the announcers bringing it up constantly), and even less in the playoffs. It's a joke of a system.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Yup. He really does disappear in big games. IIRC, he did NOT perform to expectations at the World Cup, the Olympics, or the World Juniors.

6 points in 7 games at 2008 WJC where Canada won gold (T-2nd on the team) and he never played at the Olympics.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Expecting a more physical Bruin team on Wednesday.
Then again, I also expected that last night so what do I know?

Gotta keep playing hard. I won't feel the least bit comfortable until we've won our 4th game.
Bruins aren't a team that will fold like a lawn chair if they fall behind.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
As long as the refs keep a handle on the Bruins running around like crazy men, the Leafs win this series in 5 or 6 games. It doesn't get to game 7.

Game 2 with how bad we played in the 1st half of the game, and how the refs let the Bruins get away with murder. We still could have won that game.

Boston hasn't proven to me anyhow that they are more elite then Toronto. Not even close. Has anyone seen Pastrnak-Bergeron-Marchand this series so far??? If it wasn't for Krejci and Coyle the Bruins are down 3 nil right now.

Reactions: Rob Brown

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Gardiner doesn't look all that bad after watching Mcavoy this series. Jeez that kid is awful, just keep exposing him and old man Chara and we got this in the bag

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Scary part is, no matter how great last nights win was, they have to win tomorrow or the advantage is back to the Bruins.
Yep, tomorrow is massive. If we win that we are in a very good position with three shots at taking the series. We need to win tomorrow. I want no part in going back to Boston tied 2-2.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Easier said than done, but the players have to treat tomorrow as a must win. If we lose, it's a best of 3 with Boston having home ice advantage.

Reactions: razkaz

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Scary part is, no matter how great last nights win was, they have to win tomorrow or the advantage is back to the Bruins.

Yep, tomorrow is massive. If we win that we are in a very good position with three shots at taking the series. We need to win tomorrow. I want no part in going back to Boston tied 2-2.
No fear, folks - My dad and I are undefeated at home this year, and will be in attendance tomorrow night. Looking forward to another good showing from the boys in blue.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
No fear, folks - My dad and I are undefeated at home this year, and will be in attendance tomorrow night. Looking forward to another good showing from the boys in blue.
I'll be back as well. Enjoy the game!

Reactions: Rob Brown

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Boston was a 122 point pace team at home and the Leafs have given themselves the opportunity to take that advantage away from them. Tomorrow we find out if the team is ready to take the next step, they should be absolutely dead set on going back to Boston 3-1.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Easier said than done, but the players have to treat tomorrow as a must win. If we lose, it's a best of 3 with Boston having home ice advantage.

Yeah, tomorrow is a huge game. Win tomorrow and honestly that about wraps it up. I don't think an old Boston team is capable of pulling a Leafs and forcing Game 7 twice down 3-1.

I think Kadri made a difference despite not being on the ice. He got suspended but the refs and whoever handles the refs also woke up and realized they were f***ing up big time by letting everything go and losing control of the game.

Marner's end game block shots...especially the second one where he's literally looking at the puck and still blocking it will motivate the troops to want to work even harder.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm not making excuses, but these two teams are so close to each other in quality, that it may just come down to how the games are called. When the refs call a tight game, the pace of the Leafs have the advantage, when they are "left to play", the physicality of the Bruins gives them the advantage. Again, these aren't excuses, just a commentary that the teams are incredibly close, and built differently, to take advantage of certain aspects of the game.

Such a huge game 4 for us. I hope for continued growth in our players, Marner is showing so much, Nylander's game has grown playing C, more from Matthews.. a guy like Zaitsev has shown growth, Moore, Hyman... this is their time to step forward... If we can go up 3-1, that's huge.

Of all the teams in the playoffs, Boston is our hardest matchup team, and our biggest challenge, physically and mentally.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Normally we never hear the end of the stats of players who do well against us. Would be nice for them to show how badly Mitch Marner owns the Bruins.

20 career games (regular + playoffs), 30 points.

He grew up a hardcore Leaf fan, and it shows. ;)

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I'm not making excuses, but these two teams are so close to each other in quality, that it may just come down to how the games are called. When the refs call a tight game, the pace of the Leafs have the advantage, when they are "left to play", the physicality of the Bruins gives them the advantage. Again, these aren't excuses, just a commentary that the teams are incredibly close, and built differently, to take advantage of certain aspects of the game.

Such a huge game 4 for us. I hope for continued growth in our players, Marner is showing so much, Nylander's game has grown playing C, more from Matthews.. a guy like Zaitsev has shown growth, Moore, Hyman... this is their time to step forward... If we can go up 3-1, that's huge.

Of all the teams in the playoffs, Boston is our hardest matchup team, and our biggest challenge, physically and mentally.

It is definitely our biggest challenge. No offense to the rest of the teams remaining in the East, if Toronto can get past the Boston hurdle, they will gain so much confidence that they can absolutely destroy the remaining teams.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

It's been stated many times, but it's entirely accurate. The more the games are officiated in a reasonable manner, the more it plays to our strengths. If the refs put the whistles away, we will struggle.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

Yup, that's the crazy thing about a series this tight.

If there was ever a game for the big boys to come through, it'll be game 4.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think it is bogus on how the NHL deals with these type of in game scenarios. The NFL has it right. Rask should have been pulled for concussion protocol immediately since he stayed down and the contact was to the head. Although I hate the fact that Rask got injured, leaving the decision up to the Bruins is incorrect. NHL needs to pull players at any occurrence where a head injury is suspected. With Rask's history of concussions this was a no brainer and the NHL/Bruins dropped the ball. No given game is more important then a players health.
A goalie is a different situation than just about any other position in sports. Even a backup quarterback isn't expected to sit quietly, go in with minimal warmup, and be perfect from the moment play resumes.

I agree that a person's health should be paramount, but I can see how hard a decision that can be.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017

i agree with Shannon.
I fully believe that wednesday the leafs have to win. Let Boston be the one to chase them for a change, but then go into Boston and just finish the game. they did play a complete game, so for the love of all that's holy, please do it again. don't be inconsistent like you've been all season with one good game, one eh game.

I saw this guy's series prediction video. all decked in Bruins clothing - he did show a soft side for the leafs though.
Nice to see he changed his colors now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad