Toronto Star: Raptors are now the most valuable sports franchise in Canada

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Let's see what they print a value of thread when the raps are dead last next year. Which could happen because the key guy is heading to California in a few months.

They may get lucky and do a sign and trade or they must have nothing to show for him

Also consider the source. It is the star

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Let's see what they print a value of thread when the raps are dead last next year. Which could happen because the key guy is heading to California in a few months.

They may get lucky and do a sign and trade or they must have nothing to show for him

Also consider the source. It is the star
I think he stays there. He’s different from your run of the mill greedy/selfish American athlete.

I mean,he’ll get max money wherever he goes, but he seems like a guy has a great sense of pride and understands that a possible title with the raptors would elevate his legacy far notecards than the way KD or the Miami boys did it.

It mention a $5.6M dollar condo given to him for free if he stays there.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I think he stays there. He’s different from your run of the mill greedy/selfish American athlete.

I mean,he’ll get max money wherever he goes, but he seems like a guy has a great sense of pride and understands that a possible title with the raptors would elevate his legacy far notecards than the way KD or the Miami boys did it.

It mention a $5.6M dollar condo given to him for free if he stays there.
Just because you look after you're own interests does not mean your selfish. It means good business. I wonder if you call owners selfish. He's leaving too.

As for the article, hyperbole.

Reactions: BJNT

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Just because you look after you're own interests does not mean your selfish. It means good business. I wonder if you call owners selfish. He's leaving too.

As for the article, hyperbole.
I don’t mean it in that way. I should be more clear.

Ok, he has a title and he seems to have the type of character that with a tile already in his cabinet, he would rather be the catalyst than do the typical roster stacking to virtually guarantee a championship. I actually think there’s a greater chance of him leaving if they do win his year as opposed to if they lose. I do believe he understands the long term impact it would have on his legacy to lead a team like Toronto to glory rather than join a stacked roster and win there.

MikeCubs

May 30, 2018
Big difference between being the most valuable and most popular. Of course the Raptors are the most valuable but that's because of the difference between the NBA and NHL national TV deals in the US. If we go by forbes figures the NBA's least valuable team is the Memphis Grizzlies at $1.2B. That would rank them ahead of every NHL team other than the Rangers/Montreal/Toronto.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Big difference between being the most valuable and most popular. Of course the Raptors are the most valuable but that's because of the difference between the NBA and NHL national TV deals in the US. If we go by forbes figures the NBA's least valuable team is the Memphis Grizzlies at $1.2B. That would rank them ahead of every NHL team other than the Rangers/Montreal/Toronto.

Most popular? I would rather have more value than popularity from a business standpoint. The thing is the Raptors are still growing while the Leafs are mature.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Basketball is a world wide sport, and the growth of the Raptors shouldn't surprise anyone. That's why Montreal is at the table now trying to get in. Hockey's growth is still gate driven, with improved marketing, however the lustre of the Canadian franchise wears off a little more each year the Stanley Cup is handed to an American team. Raptors championship changes the face of basketball in Canada, and probably breeds a new generation of basketball players and fans as a consequence.

Reactions: torontoblood and PM

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
That would be a dumb move. The Raptors are only going to keep climbing in value. The leafs have hit the ceiling within the Toronto market. The raptors however still have a lot of room for growth within Toronto.
Oh, I didn't think it was popular in Toronto.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Basketball is a world wide sport, and the growth of the Raptors shouldn't surprise anyone. That's why Montreal is at the table now trying to get in. Hockey's growth is still gate driven, with improved marketing, however the lustre of the Canadian franchise wears off a little more each year the Stanley Cup is handed to an American team. Raptors championship changes the face of basketball in Canada, and probably breeds a new generation of basketball players and fans as a consequence.
Imagine if Toronto has an NFL team and won 2-3 Super Bowls. How would the NHL compete with that? I could hear the yawns if the Leafs won after that.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Imagine if Toronto has an NFL team and won 2-3 Super Bowls. How would the NHL compete with that? I could hear the yawns if the Leafs won after that.

With the shift in demographics and the lack of a cup in almost 2 generations, it has become easy to topple the leafs. If one of the other big 4 leagues can set up a dynasty in Toronto, they will easily pass the Leafs in popularity.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
No surprise really, this run has really helped them. If they can win the title and Leonard sticks around I expect that value to only go up.

Reactions: MikeCubs

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I bet Orca Bay/Canucks are feeling a bit silly right about now. They got a team for dirt cheap and would be sitting on a gold mine if only they had figured out how to get over the hump.

Mar 12, 2009
That would be a dumb move. The Raptors are only going to keep climbing in value. The leafs have hit the ceiling within the Toronto market. The raptors however still have a lot of room for growth within Toronto.
I'd say the Leafs are a low risk, more stable investment and the Raptors are risk/high reward. A lot depends on Kawai imo. They are doing great right now, but if Kawai leaves and they struggle in the coming seasons, I don't see them holding their current value the same way the Leafs maintained good value for years despite being a losing franchise. If he stays stays long term, that bodes well for growth. The Leafs seemed to hold steady throughout garbage years, not sure the Raptors would survive poor seasons in the future as well. Time will tell.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia

Thanks largely to this Raptors run (I dont even think it matters if they beat the Warriors at this point) as well as Canada's 2017 U-20 world championship, the growth of the sport in Canada will be almost comparable to the growth of hockey in the US.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Thanks largely to this Raptors run (I dont even think it matters if they beat the Warriors at this point) as well as Canada's 2017 U-20 world championship, the growth of the sport in Canada will be almost comparable to the growth of hockey in the US.
probably even higher growth rate with how accessible and marketing machine basketball is

MikeCubs

May 30, 2018
I'd say the Leafs are a low risk, more stable investment and the Raptors are risk/high reward. A lot depends on Kawai imo. They are doing great right now, but if Kawai leaves and they struggle in the coming seasons, I don't see them holding their current value the same way the Leafs maintained good value for years despite being a losing franchise. If he stays stays long term, that bodes well for growth. The Leafs seemed to hold steady throughout garbage years, not sure the Raptors would survive poor seasons in the future as well. Time will tell.

I do think a downturn is coming for the Raptors soon one way or another. Even if Leonard stays Lowry/Gasol/Green are very old and Leonard is an injury risk(he's hurt now, look how he limped down the interview podium last night). I don't see Leonard holding up long term wherever he goes. If Leonard stays and doesn't get hurt the agreement will be if too many current Raptors age and can't be replaced he gets to ask for a trade and the team complies.

The Raptors have draw well in down and mediocre seasons. It's not like all of a sudden they became popular though popularity is at an all time high. The Raptors don't have much risk of a fall in value because of the national tv deal in the US. Keep in mind too the demographics will continue to shift very heavily in the Raptors favor. That said the Leafs are also a great investment. Hockey is not going anywhere. Anyone would kill to own either team.

The big loser in my opinion isn't going to be hockey with the Raptors continued growth, it's going to be baseball. The Jays just aren't cool. They play in a depressing concrete circular cookie cutter dome that they are going to foolishly renovate. Canada has almost no immigration from baseball/Latin American countries. To top it off team management is hated by "fans" for not signing 30 year old plus free agents even though free agency rarely works now days with steroid testing.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

On what basis have the Leafs hit a ceiling?

They still have a much larger waiting list for tickets and their tickets are much more in demand than the Raptors. Advertisers still would much rather go with the Leafs over the Raptors, Leafs still whip the Raptors in terms of TV ratings and the Leafs are still vastly more popular in the market.

With the shift in demographics and the lack of a cup in almost 2 generations, it has become easy to topple the leafs. If one of the other big 4 leagues can set up a dynasty in Toronto, they will easily pass the Leafs in popularity.

BS.

The Jays and Raptors have recently gone on long runs while the Leafs haven't won a series and neither team is even close to the popularity of the Leafs even in their heyday, now with the Jays dropping off it isn't even remotely close.

As much as hockey haters want to continually pump up the popularity of other sports we are not close to seeing another sport over take hockey for the most popular or other teams overtake NHL as the most popular teams either.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Me too!!! I agree the Raptors are only going to get more and more popular with this run and with continued immigration/further demographic changes.

Why couldn't they like both? If this was true, hockey would be fading-is it?
This will be treated just like the Jays WS wins: A sport dominated by Americans and won a title (if it happens) for the city.
It just won't have the same feeling.

The Leafs have to do what EVERY other MLSE teams has done, win a title (or get close), and these questions will go away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad