Toronto Star: Raptors are now the most valuable sports franchise in Canada

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
This is kind of a weird debate...as the Raptors are basically a Canadian hanger-on at an American party. Most of their value is derived from the popularity of the NBA south of the border and not in Canada. You would expect their overall popularity to go up given their playoff run this year, but this particular metric doesn't tell us anything about their place in the Toronto sports hierarchy.

Does it really matter how popular a franchise is if they are not the most valuable? Other than using it in a pissing match in a debate between insecure sports fans maybe...

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Does it really matter how popular a franchise is if they are not the most valuable? Other than using it in a pissing match in a debate between insecure sports fans maybe...

I will never understand sport fans who spend their time debating relative popularities of sports. So much inferiority complexes on sport message boards which is just weird sad behavior.

Reactions: BKIslandersFan

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

And unless you're the owner or the team accountant...how does the value matter? The relative popularity of sports teams seems like just about as relevant from a fan's perspective as the value of the team according to financial analysts...perhaps more so.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto

They are growing in value faster than any other team in Canada. It's also not completely due to the US TV deal which when the NBA gets their next tv deal this franchise will go into another realm in value vs other Canadian franchises.

The Raptors are right up there - to the dislike of many hockey truthers in this country. I actually see more kids in my area playing basketball and rocking raptors gear than I do leafs. I can't remember the last time I saw kids playing street hockey. Raptors are definitely building a stronghold here.

Last edited:
Reactions: varsaku

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Sports franchise valuations are largely BS

Yes, because they're trying to give you the answer to a situation that NEVER HAPPENS.

Every sports franchise sale is one of two situations:
1. Owner is selling the team because he wants to/needs to; and is trying to get a "fair" return, but it's his intent to sell.
2. Purchaser wants to buy a team and is making an offer the owner can't refuse.

Because the people who buy and sell pro sports teams teams are usually shrewd businessmen who know how to negotiate, the sale price almost never matches the estimated value. Value is a personal concept. The actual worth is "what someone is willing to pay" or "what someone is willing to sell for."

And the other reason prices never match up is because the vast majority of sales are for a controlling interest (over 51%) but seldom 100% and a lot of those details are left out because they're private.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Yes, because they're trying to give you the answer to a situation that NEVER HAPPENS.

1. Owner is selling the team because he wants to/needs to; and is trying to get a "fair" return, but it's his intent to sell.

Because the people who buy and sell pro sports teams teams are usually shrewd businessmen who know how to negotiate, the sale price almost never matches the estimated value. Value is a personal concept. The actual worth is "what someone is willing to pay" or "what someone is willing to sell for."

And the other reason prices never match up is because the vast majority of sales are for a controlling interest (over 51%) but seldom 100% and a lot of those details are left out because they're private.
It's the case for housing too... But having a mansion is worth more than a bungalow.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I was in Toronto when Blue Jays were a playoff team, and you'd have thought that Baseball was the national sport of Canada. The hype and support was insane.

However, on the day to day, the amount of hockey vs anything else I have seen was on another level. You knew it was Leafs city and everyone else came second, this is from my outsider's view.

Raptors were cool because they had cool merch, but to be honest, I have seen more Nordiques and Expos merch then Raptors all over the city.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

Subjective valuation can be a problem for art, collectables, etc but there is a well established objective methodology for determining the value of a business.

In it's simplest form you look at it like the reverse of a loan. Eg if you borrow $1 million at 5% next year you owe $1.05 million. From the lenders perspective this means $1.05 million next year is worth $1 million in todays money. This means that if you know what discount rate you want and can estimate how much money a business will earn per year in the future, you can calculate how much money those future earnings are worth in todays money. (in practice you only need to estimate earnings for the next 10-15 years)

This is called the net present value of future earnings but it's basically the value of the business because it reflects the value of all the money that business is going to earn. To justify a $500 million business valuation NHL teams would need to make an inflation adjusted annual profit of $30+ million per year. Only a couple teams make that kind of profit, 10-15 NHL teams don't make any profit at all so the hockey business itself is worth nothing in those markets. There could be some non-business related value like PR or using the team as a loss leader, but from a strictly business perspective most NHL are worth very little.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I was in Toronto when Blue Jays were a playoff team, and you'd have thought that Baseball was the national sport of Canada. The hype and support was insane.

However, on the day to day, the amount of hockey vs anything else I have seen was on another level. You knew it was Leafs city and everyone else came second, this is from my outsider's view.

Raptors were cool because they had cool merch, but to be honest, I have seen more Nordiques and Expos merch then Raptors all over the city.
Ummm, have you been to Toronto recently

Raps are very popular, way more than Nordiques and Expos.

Reactions: varsaku and OG6ix

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Ummm, have you been to Toronto recently

Raps are very popular, way more than Nordiques and Expos.
I haven't but somebody pointed out that Toronto is a bandwagon city, it would sure seem it from my experience with the Blue Jays being so hot back then

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I haven't but somebody pointed out that Toronto is a bandwagon city, it would sure seem it from my experience with the Blue Jays being so hot back then
I live in the GTA and I can tell you that the Raptors and basketball in general is VERY popular here (especially with millenials and gen z) - you can't say Toronto is a hockey city anymore in the way that people say it for Edmonton or Montreal. Your comment is something from a delorean that went back to 1991.

Basketball's participation is on a tear and I see kids playing everywhere - I don't see road hockey anymore or hockey in tennis courts. Toronto is definitely a basketball city too. Hockey at this point in canada has an advantage because there are more NHL teams than any of the other 4 major sport.

Reactions: Rigafan

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I live in the GTA and I can tell you that the Raptors and basketball in general is VERY popular here (especially with millenials and gen z) - you can't say Toronto is a hockey city anymore in the way that people say it for Edmonton or Montreal. Your comment is something from a delorean that went back to 1991.

Basketball's participation is on a tear and I see kids playing everywhere - I don't see road hockey anymore or hockey in tennis courts. Toronto is definitely a basketball city too. Hockey at this point in canada has an advantage because there are more NHL teams than any of the other 4 major sport.
That's fair, you live there and I simply visited some time ago, just explaining what I saw and felt.

It's interesting though, what makes basketball so hot right now? The actual game of basketball is fun and nice to play, you can even play alone which is nice, however the NBA is a total snoozefest!

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
That's fair, you live there and I simply visited some time ago, just explaining what I saw and felt.

It's interesting though, what makes basketball so hot right now? The actual game of basketball is fun and nice to play, you can even play alone which is nice, however the NBA is a total snoozefest!

The Raptors are ran very well, they are always in the mix for the playoffs at least. Plus, the championship in 2019 helped as well.

Reactions: varsaku and Rigafan

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto

A lot of people think the NHL is a snoozefest and hockey an odd niche sport. There are a ton of people who grew up with options now apposed to people in the 80s. Plus immigrants and their first gen kids may not take to hockey as much as soccer and basketball. Also, the NBA / basketball is a part of pop culture while the NHL is frozen in time. I'm with the poster above I have never seen any Nordiques apparel in decades and outside of going to a bar when the Leafs game is on I rarely see Leafs apparel anymore. Of course this is a completely different story when I leave the GTA to places like Branford, Guelph etc.

I think Peter Mansbridge gives you the jist in the video below.

Last edited:

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I see Leafs jerseys now and then but it is way less than say 2004. The bottom will fall out if Matthews leaves, but the Leafs will never fully disappear. If Toronto had an NFL team then we would be talking about a situation with the Leafs being number 3 in town, and it would be deserved.

And let's be honest - the sport has been tainted by the Hockey Canada scandals and the QMJHL incidents and the Kyle Beach story. That matters.

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I see Leafs jerseys now and then but it is way less than say 2004. The bottom will fall out if Matthews leaves, but the Leafs will never fully disappear. If Toronto had an NFL team then we would be talking about a situation with the Leafs being number 3 in town, and it would be deserved.

And let's be honest - the sport has been tainted by the Hockey Canada scandals and the QMJHL incidents and the Kyle Beach story. That matters.

I don't foresee any future where the NFL goes to Toronto. Toronto was indifferent to the NFL games that were played there previously, they couldn't even come to selling them out. The NFL definitely took note.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I don't foresee any future where the NFL goes to Toronto. Toronto was indifferent to the NFL games that were played there previously, they couldn't even come to selling them out. The NFL definitely took note.
They were Bills games and the Bills sucked at the time. Nothing like the London series.

Regardless, my point is it won't be easy to dislodge hockey in Canada, but right now hockey culture is doing everything possible to make it happen.

Last edited:

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
They were Bills games and the Bills sucked at the time. Nothing like the London series.

Regardless, my point is it won't be easy to dislodge hockey in Canada, but right now hockey culture doing everything possible to make it happen.
Hockey and the NHL does not have much competition in Canada outside of Toronto so I don't foresee other markets turning into Toronto which you have a ton of Raptors and jays fans. I do agree if the NFL came here they would easily be in another stratosphere. Before Toronto was considered a hockey town it was a Football town historically. I don't read into the Bills debacle as a test of football in Toronto: Ted Rogers mocked the public in the press conference, charged outrageous prices for a team that did not wear the words Toronto on their jersey. The best hockey town in Canada in my opinion is Montreal where the sport as Canadians know it originated. The most valuable team is the Leafs due to the market they play in. In terms of culture it's no longer as prevalent in the GTA that some like to believe it. When people have options naturally the population does not tend to put their eggs in one basket. That's not the case in places like Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg who are not likely to get other major sports teams.

Reactions: torontoblood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad