Toronto sports media talk (the FAN continues its changes)

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
I guess contracts at The Fan come up for renewal at this time of the year as Stormin Norman Rumack & others was let go/fired at this time a year ago June 22, 2009........

this dawned on me too

i miss rumack and have just been podcasting other shows at times i would have listened to his show

i really hope they put something on that is half decent in the am

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
Stellick had the WORST crutch and filler words I have ever heard.

I'm glad I don't have to hear a "by and large" or "a whack of..." or "what have you" in the morning ever again.

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
Stellick had the WORST crutch and filler words I have ever heard.

I'm glad I don't have to hear a "by and large" or "a whack of..." or "what have you" in the morning ever again.

i really think landry is done forever

stellick i could listen to

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
Actually I did hear McCowan handing out compliments to Gaston earlier in the season when the team was in first place before the bullpen started to rear up as a problem spot. How much more contrarian can you get than to compliment the man you've feuded with for two decades?

So he's a contrarian when he criticizes Gaston and he's a contrarian when he praises Gaston. In other words, no matter what he says he's being a contrarian just to be a contrarian?

And what was his exact compliment, anyway? Very few things are black or white. If he was complimenting Gaston on something, then maybe--shock--he thought Gaston did some thing(s) right.

McCowan plays a completely intentional contrarian/pseudo-misanthrope on the radio.

contrarian = misanthorpe?

He obviously plays up being miserable, but was that what we were debating?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
This is crazy. I liked Landry and Stellick, actually. And why Hogan? He was a good host.

Millard was miles ahead of Brady. All he ever does is slag anything remotely positive that has to do with the Leafs.

Bobcat staying I can understand. His show is so different (mostly focusing on politics and finances of sport) that its unique for this area.

Carlton Orr*

Yeah, I read about this on Steve Simmons twitter.

Greg Brady is entertaining, smart, and actually pretty funny. A lot like Jeff Marek (but not quite as good). Big improvement over Millard on Hockey Central.

No more Landry and Stellick in the morning though is gonna be weird to get used to. I've been listening to them every morning on the way into work for over two years now. I can understand how they can grow stale on people though.

I like Hogan a lot but he has an infinite hard-on for CFL football and loves to talk about it so I turn the radio off in the office when he does.

Jeff Marek is an idiot.

BlueBlood17

Dec 28, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I'm a huge FAN junkie, and have been for years.

Stellick - always had a soft spot for him, not sure why...he made me laugh.

Landry - impressions were great, had good chemistry with Stellick, but their show was made by their guests/insiders...Landry added little value.

Hogan - very knowledgable guy, a true sports geek, but like many, I turned it off whenever he talked CFL (which was happening with increasing regularity over the last couple of years)

Armstrong - like him on the broadcasts, hated him having his own show, and the voice...drives me nuts, lol I want to clear my throat when I listen to him

Smith - big fan of his, glad it sounds like he's sticking around

You could tell some big changes were coming up with the amount of air time they were giving to the younger guys over the last few months (Cooper, Fabro, etc.).

I'm a HUGE Alex Seixeiro fan, I hope his role continues to grow at the FAN. One of my favourite hosts for sure.

Roger Lajoie is a DOLT. I can't believe he survived this purge.

The stupidest thing happening on the FAN is the fact they are now letting Jeff Sammut host shows. This guy is a tool with a VERY annoying voice. Vito from Woodbridge is hardly an act...it's practically his real voice. He has no sports knowledge...he actually pauses halfway through the show to tell us that he's Googling up stats and answers to questions that he should know....erggghh I hope this shakeup doesn't mean more of him. He has failed his audition!

papaluigi

May 12, 2010
"Hogan - very knowledgable guy, a true sports geek, but like many, I turned it off whenever he talked CFL (which was happening with increasing regularity over the last couple of years)"

bang on!!!

I got tired of listening to Stellick and Landry disagree about an issue when you knew it wasn't genuine

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
"Hogan - very knowledgable guy, a true sports geek, but like many, I turned it off whenever he talked CFL (which was happening with increasing regularity over the last couple of years)"

bang on!!!

I got tired of listening to Stellick and Landry disagree about an issue when you knew it wasn't genuine

You do realize Hogan is the argos play by play guy, dont you?

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Roger Lajoie is a DOLT. I can't believe he survived this purge.

The stupidest thing happening on the FAN is the fact they are now letting Jeff Sammut host shows. This guy is a tool with a VERY annoying voice. Vito from Woodbridge is hardly an act...it's practically his real voice. He has no sports knowledge...he actually pauses halfway through the show to tell us that he's Googling up stats and answers to questions that he should know....erggghh I hope this shakeup doesn't mean more of him. He has failed his audition!

I agree with everything you said.

Jeff Sammut had someone call in with a question that was well thought out, and all that Sammut could do was cut the guy off, put him on the spot and he is horrible, its as if he is reading the entire show off of a script.

Lajoie is like an ultimiate part time employee. He can talk about many things, yet is the master of none.

He will find a way to agree with every caller, even when callers all have very different opinions. Probably the definition of filler radio

Last edited:

BlueBlood17

Dec 28, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I agree with everything you said.

Jeff Sammut had someone call in with a question that was well thought out, and all that Sammut could do was cut the guy off, put him on the spot and he is horrible, its as if he is reading the entire show off of a script.

He threw out a topic to his callers last week asking whether or not they think Stephen Strasburg should be considered for the all-star game despite his limited number of starts.

A guy called in and said it depends how he pitched in his remaining starts...and asked Sammut how many more starts Strasburg had until the break and what kind of opponents he would face.

You would think that Sammut (or his producers) would have had that kind of info, given the fact it was a topic they were throwing out there and inviting discussion on.

Instead, we waited patiently for Sammut to pull up the Nationals' schedule (he kept us entertained with "do-ta-doo...boy this computer is acting slow"). Once he got it up, we were subjected to him counting out loud as he tried to plan out the scheduled starts. Halfway through he started getting confused on when they would pitch him on short rest, and just gave up on the whole exercise.

5 minutes of the most useless radio ever aired.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
If you're going to crusade against him, at least get his name right. Bob McCown.

And he's the highest rated personality on Toronto radio. He's not going anywhere. Get over it.

My suggestion to you is to not listen to him. It's that simple.
Who cares if I get his name right or wrong?The guy gets most peoples names wrong anyways sometimes not even giving them a name

He is the highest rated personality and I just don't get how. The guy is rude and is always putting down the city and its teams just doesn't maek sense to me.

I only listen to him because I goto work with my father and he just keeps the FAN590 on for the hell of it.

He seems to be optimistic about the blue Jays and is generally positive outside of his comments about Cito.

As for the other teams, they do suck--and they have sucked for a long time. Is he not supposed to lie? Anyway, he doesn't focus on local sports.

He rarely yells and screams and almost always gives people a chance to talk. I don't see the comparison.
Maybe this year but previous years it was always"they just don't have the talent, he needs to go he needs to go" He basically says the whole team needs to leave.

Its not that the teams suck its that no matter what the teams do he will never give respect to them thats what bothers me. Leafs hit a winning streak he goes"meh they're not THAT good" or whatever.

Whenever I lsiten to him he's always blabbering on about something and yelling at people that don't agree with him. I've heard many people he cut off the air plenty of times when they get in one sentence he'll say"you're stupid goodbye". The guy is a total jerk not to mention if you say the word"soccer" he'll jump through the phone line to get at you , just cuts you straight off.

with the (lack of) logic you spewed above I'm thinking you couldn't turn a profit running a lemonade stand.

McCown = profits.
Ya and let me guess you'd make the perfect GM for the leafs right? Making awsum trades and what not...afterall we're in the Maple Leafs section of HFboards

Bobcat isn't a cheerleader. He actually thinks about the topics and the teams. He's not going to say how awesome the Leafs are for finishing 2nd last.

And he's actually been praising the Jays for their young pitching and even predicted they'd win 90 games last year.
Thats not my point, its that no matter WHAT the teams do good or bad it will never be good enough for him. I personally don't think he even watches the games and thats fine but he talks about certain subjects thinking he knows when he doesn't

he gets his facts wrong most of the time.The guy even claimed the Leafs have NEVER EVER had a player to win the hart trophy ever.

The guy is a total ass, if you don't agree with him you're wrong according to him. He'll he could even say Philly won the Cup and say you're wrong thats just how stuborn the guy is.

People are all over him because his views are"against the grain" kinda crap but you could put anyone in his shoes and do the exact same job. Like I said he's the Bill O'Reilly of Toronto sports radio

kurt walker

Feb 17, 2008
greg brady jef marek

Please oh please how do these two knuckle heads have jobs they must have pictures .
Too bad about Hoagie a real good guy that didn't deserve his fate really knowledgeable guy best of luck too him .

kurt walker

Feb 17, 2008
andrew crystal is a moron i could do abetter job i remember stuff he is another derringer a blowhard

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
stormin norman was canned months ago ?
LOL

i hadnt listened at that timeslot for a while sorry

(coast to coast addict here - is it just me or is that reduntant tune 640 plays during coast to coast commercials extremely annoying or what?)

i do like roger lajoie

Shadyone33

Aug 14, 2007
Toronto
I usually listen to the fan from like 9:00-9:30 and Hogan kind of annoys me with his pauses. Has decent content but he reminds me of William Shattner. I didn't mind the 2:00-4:00 show. It was different...I didn't mind Armstrong although sometimes he just said stupid stuff to get a reaction.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Its not that the teams suck its that no matter what the teams do he will never give respect to them thats what bothers me. Leafs hit a winning streak he goes"meh they're not THAT good" or whatever.

Well, he's probably smarter than the rest of us and doesnt get caught up in a 2 or 3 game winning streak that ultimately means nothing. When you win 3 in a row and are still 2nd last, that doesnt mean theyre good. They are playing good at that moment sure, but overall, theyre not that good.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
If you're going to crusade against him, at least get his name right. Bob McCown.

And he's the highest rated personality on Toronto radio. He's not going anywhere. Get over it.

My suggestion to you is to not listen to him. It's that simple.

This. Like him or not, he truly is one of the revenue generating aspects of the fan, very well respected, connected, and inteligent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad