Toronto sports media talk (the FAN continues its changes)

Jordan

Sep 8, 2007
It's a tough business. Those other guys will find work, but might have to take a pay cut to do it.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
That's unfortunate, because I really enjoyed listening to Brady and Watters on the drive home after work.

On the drive home yesterday I noticed that the Bill Watters Show wasn't on... so I won't be surprised if it's already been axed.

Mike Burrell

Mar 10, 2008
Good for Brady. Ever since I got Sirius I haven't stopped listening to HNIC and Jeff Marek but it will be good to be able to listen to both.

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Holy smokes, that is a huge change.

Been listening to the Fan since its inception, and I never like change (for anything I am accustomed to really).

Sad to see Stellick go. Was tired of Landry, though his impressions were funny. Assumed Hogan had a job for life there.

I can't believe they took on Greg Brady!! Man, I cannot stand listening to him, but find myself forced to listen in order to get my hockey fix. His high pitched voice (when he starts to get excited) and constant laughing just irritates me to no end.

:rant:

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
When I read: "Mass on-air firings" I imagined the bosses storming into the studio and telling them to get the **** out. haha

Millard you're cut
Armstrong cut
Stellick, Landry you're cut
Oh man, look at all these cuts!

Hogan, I like your hustle, that's why it was so hard to cut you.

RogerRoeper*

Stellick was really good. I'm not sure why he's getting hate. He's funny and knows his sports. He also finds the nice in-between of not being over-the-top in hating the Leafs and not being a huge homer.

This is obviously been done for money issues.

StarBurns RIP

No Agenda
Mar 17, 2009
I thought the Landry and Stellick combo was pretty good. I guess the ratings weren't good enough to stay that course. It'll be interesting to see who is replacing them.

Mike Hogan long overstayed his welcome for me. On days I'm home doing work listening to the radio, I would literally shut off my radio once I heard the first few notes of his theme music. And I want to listen to sports radio. Hogan has some abilities and should be able to score a decent job on the air somewhere but I've never understood how he had survived so many purges. I think he suffered from the staleness of comfort he was given with that show, this may be good for his radio career. Too much football talk, too little intelligent hockey talk.

P.S. Has Howard Berger survived? If so, proof positive to me that he's related to someone very powerful at the Fan590 or Rogers. Stellick, Landry, Hogan, Armstrong and others are far more engaging on-air personalities. Perhaps they're just more expensive.

Addition: Greg Brady is a good addition in my opinion. Very professional and intelligent. They may not keep him for long.

Belmonte

Apr 10, 2006
Vaughan, Ontario
P.S. Has Howard Berger survived? If so, proof positive to me that he's related to someone very powerful at the Fan590 or Rogers. Stellick, Landry, Hogan, Armstrong and others are far more engaging on-air personalities. Perhaps they're just more expensive.

Berger is a beat reporter, not an on-air host. This re-shuffling has nothing to do with him.

Super Berg

Oct 14, 2006
Ontario
damn

I like Stelleck and Landry, though Landry can sometimes be annoying. They were a great team though. I enjoyed listening to them in the morning for so many years now, it will be weird with a new tandem.

I find Brady occasionally entertaining but mostly too sarcastic and too much of a wise a**. It is going to be tough to get used to him as Millard has grown on me. At least he knows his puck though.

This is really out of nowhere. Goes to show no's job is safe, Ever!. Speaking of that better get back to work.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Its a real dam shame they have a big ********* idiot that has one sided "debates" on general crap. Every Toronto team to him sucks so why the hell is he still here?

He IS the Canadian(and ehs not even) Sports version of Bill O'Reilly....please Fan 590 FIRE BOB MCGOWAN!

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
landry and stellick are about as entertaining as 2 housewives baking brownies, adios...

hogan....enh could be worse.

how does that storman norman trash keep his job thru this?

You do realize the Late-Night Vampire was canned a year ago right? And he was good too, I liked listening to him, the late-night stuff they have now is pretty crap and half the time it's just replays of morning stuff. Him and Roger Lajoie were a great combo imo

I will miss Landry and Stellick as well, though they became old their parodies of athletes/sports management was always quite funny. Cliff Fletcher talking to Pavel Kubina parody was one of my favourites :laugh: "I be kepten, yes?"

Jordan

Sep 8, 2007
Its a real dam shame they have a big ********* idiot that has one sided "debates" on general crap. Every Toronto team to him sucks so why the hell is he still here?

He IS the Canadian(and ehs not even) Sports version of Bill O'Reilly....please Fan 590 FIRE BOB MCGOWAN!

If you're going to crusade against him, at least get his name right. Bob McCown.

And he's the highest rated personality on Toronto radio. He's not going anywhere. Get over it.

My suggestion to you is to not listen to him. It's that simple.

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010

He seems to be optimistic about the blue Jays and is generally positive outside of his comments about Cito.

As for the other teams, they do suck--and they have sucked for a long time. Is he not supposed to lie? Anyway, he doesn't focus on local sports.

He rarely yells and screams and almost always gives people a chance to talk. I don't see the comparison.

HankTheTank

Jul 2, 2006
TORONTO

with the (lack of) logic you spewed above I'm thinking you couldn't turn a profit running a lemonade stand.

McCown = profits.

StarBurns RIP

No Agenda
Mar 17, 2009
Berger is a beat reporter, not an on-air host. This re-shuffling has nothing to do with him.

I've heard him in studio on the air many times in the past few years, even hosting the hockey show. He's an employee of the FAN590. Not being a show host shouldn't have any bearing on whether his position is reviewed like everyone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad