Toronto sports media talk (the FAN continues its changes)

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
MOD EDIT

Changed the title of the thread to reflect its discussion of all Toronto media

The FAN 590 is undergoing a major shake-up as a raft of on-air personalities were let go Thursday morning.

According to sources, the departed include morning co-hosts Don Landry and Gord Stellick, mid-morning host Mike Hogan and news announcer Rick Ralph. In addition, Jack Armstrong’s mid-afternoon show has been killed, though Armstrong and co-host Eric Smith may remain on staff.

Rogers Sportsnet’s Daren Millard, host of the noon hockey show, has been replaced by Greg Brady. Millard will likely return to a full-time job at Sportsnet.

Brady was hired away from AM 640, where he co-hosted The Bill Watters Show. His departure from 640, which recently axed its noontime Leafs Lunch show, leaves Watters’ future in doubt as his show has languished in the ratings and has not made any headway against The FAN.

Brady will host a two-hour hockey show, followed by an hour of general sports talk leading into Bob McCown’s Prime Time Sports at 4 p.m.

That means the FAN has basically remade its entire schedule, with the exception of McCown’s show.

It is not known who will replace the morning duo who have been together since 2004, nor who will replace Hogan, another longtime FAN employee.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/827876--major-shake-up-at-fan-590

Last edited by a moderator:

AUC2MIC

Dec 24, 2008
So they replaced everyone, except the one person they needed to give the boot (Bobcat) :shakehead

tdoteli

Dec 7, 2009
Toronto, ON
www.twitter.com
Mass on-air firings at FAN 590

Sent: Jun 24, 2010 11:02a

Tough day for Toronto sports radio. Mass on-air firings as the FAN 590 overhauls entire roster outside of McCown.

Sent: Jun 24, 2010 11:12a

Carnage at the Fan - Stellick, Landry, Hogan, all gone...Still waiting to hear about E Smith and Jack Armstrong - McCown moving from 3 to 6

Hope Jack stays... First Leafs Lunch on 640, now this... Tough day for Toronto sports radio indeed,

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
landry and stellick are about as entertaining as 2 housewives baking brownies, adios...

hogan....enh could be worse.

how does that storman norman trash keep his job thru this?

xyzz

Aug 18, 2008
must be saving some money on that switch...

Millard is WAY better than Brady

Belmonte

Apr 10, 2006
Vaughan, Ontario
Yeah, I read about this on Steve Simmons twitter.

Greg Brady is entertaining, smart, and actually pretty funny. A lot like Jeff Marek (but not quite as good). Big improvement over Millard on Hockey Central.

No more Landry and Stellick in the morning though is gonna be weird to get used to. I've been listening to them every morning on the way into work for over two years now. I can understand how they can grow stale on people though.

I like Hogan a lot but he has an infinite hard-on for CFL football and loves to talk about it so I turn the radio off in the office when he does.

MaxPac88

Nov 18, 2008
I really liked Fan 590s lineup outside of Armstrong. Anyone know why this is happening?

AJ93

May 8, 2002
Isn't McCown the producer of prime time sports? maybe that's why he wasn't canned?

AJ93

May 8, 2002
Well I know that, and I like his show too, but I was just responding to the people that said he should have been fired aswell.

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
So they replaced everyone, except the one person they needed to give the boot (Bobcat) :shakehead

I have no idea why the Fan didn't fire its highest rated personality who's actually getting more popular.

While McCown soared in the recent ratings book with a 10.8 audience share among adult males, the rest of The FAN’s ratings were considered static. All fared relatively well in the last book, but much of that boost came from the Vancouver Olympics and was not expected to continue.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Sucks for Hogan. Always liked his show, good balance of different sports. Will be interesting who fills the morning slots. Am assuming Eric Smith stays, he does their live Raptors games, so even if he's not hosting a show, he likely stays on staff.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Nice

Hopefully AM640 buries Watters. What a clown. I hate Greg Brady too so I'm glad he's leaving for the FAN590.

Dylbot

Sep 10, 2009
When I read: "Mass on-air firings" I imagined the bosses storming into the studio and telling them to get the **** out. haha

Millard you're cut
Armstrong cut
Stellick, Landry you're cut
Oh man, look at all these cuts!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad