Friedman: Toronto shopping Wayne Simmonds

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Maybe Anaheim wants him.... they got rid of Des and Manson recently and we just saw Zergras get absolutely lit up in a worthless preseason game and nobody on the ducks could do anything about it. Just like when Jay freakin Beagle ragdolled Terry last season. I don't think the Ducks are even pushing for a playoff spot this season, so why not give the kids a little protection by bringing in Simmonds?

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Is this just completely ignoring that signing Simmonds at all was a bad idea because he was clearly done?

A guy like Corey Perry would have been the smarter add, but the Simmonds contract has no consequences for the Leafs at that cap hit. Just made Simmonds a little richer and now are trying to facilitate a move that might work for him as opposed to going to the Marlies.

Reactions: conFABulator

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Everyone think the same about TML in the playoffs ( I thought they were the better team against Tampa last year). In other words fans don't know much. They see what they want to see. You cheer for the Leafs you see the good you hate the Leafs you throw up their playoffs. Point is Simmonds may find chemistry somewhere.

Simmonds + for Foegele the plus has to be decent but not anything crazy.
Won't work. Salary cap.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
A guy like Corey Perry would have been the smarter add, but the Simmonds contract has no consequences for the Leafs at that cap hit. Just made Simmonds a little richer and now are trying to facilitate a move that might work for him as opposed to going to the Marlies.

It's a minor league contract that can be buried.. nothing burger like almost all the one-way contracts signed.

Definitely not a huge deal, especially for a rich team. Still there is the contract limit and the opportunity cost to consider. As you said, if they hadn't signed an obviously spent Simmonds they might have brought in someone more useful like perry instead.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I still wouldn't mind keeping Simmonds as an extra forward. Sans Simmons and Clifford, our team is incredibly soft.

Reactions: Once

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Don't all teams have 2-3 of those guys on their 50. Useless point.

Are you asking me if all teams have 2-3 of those guys or telling me?
Either way, that attitude I'd expect from a Home Depot manager who's got a couple too many seniors on the staff, not a billion dollar sports franchise looking to win a Cup for the first time since any of us were born.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Ah, got ya. So only a couple hundred grand that they can’t bury. Or can you bury a full million ?
hes signed 2x900k and 1.125m can be sent down without penalty so can bury it all

Is this just completely ignoring that signing Simmonds at all was a bad idea because he was clearly done?
I dont know why so many people are making such a minor contract into such a big deal.
yeah giving Simmonds 2x was a bad idea but since it wont effect the salary cap when sent down it's basically just a contract number. nothing more nothing less. it was a low risk/low reward type signing

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I still wouldn't mind keeping Simmonds as an extra forward. Sans Simmons and Clifford, our team is incredibly soft.
He's probably their top callup if they need a winger and he brings an intangible they don't really have now. At worst he's a middle-6er on the Marlies bringing the grit. I hope selfishly that he clears, but I think he can still contribute to an NHL team at the same time.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

If only he was able to play the game of Hockey in some way. He's not. The guy's been DONE for years. We tried. It didn't work. Time to move on.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
unknown.png

Dubas retained 2.5m for a 5th, I dont think MLSE cares about expenses

edit* sorry looked at it wrong retained 1.1m for a 5th.

The retention was at the trade deadline, so the pro-rated retained cash on Lehner was only $242k. The going rate for that amount of cash retention is a 4th or 5th round pick. So pretty much market value.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
The retention was at the trade deadline, so the pro-rated retained cash on Lehner was only $242k. The going rate for that amount of cash retention is a 4th or 5th round pick. So pretty much market value.
oh yeah I didnt take into account that most the salary is paid off but that still doesnt mean MLSE cares much about the cost,

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I was actually responding to the post that specifically said the second year was "dumb".

But ok, take my post and apply it to the first year of the deal and the logic still applies.

The Leafs have money and are willing to spend it. Why is bringing back a veteran that is well liked and respected in the room and the community to see if he can contribute a bad idea?

This contract can be disappeared without ANY cap implications.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
He's probably their top callup if they need a winger and he brings an intangible they don't really have now. At worst he's a middle-6er on the Marlies bringing the grit. I hope selfishly that he clears, but I think he can still contribute to an NHL team at the same time.
For what it's worth and know i can't remember where i just read it but it said that Simmonds was on the Flyers radar during this waver period. How long before he clears?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Guy's done, but he works hard and was beloved by the team. Was super excited when we signed him and while it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows, I was still very happy to have Wayne Train as a Leaf. He played hard and the Maple Leaf meant something to him. That's something we need more of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad