NBA Toronto Raptors thread

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
FVV making the max or close to the max isn't going to affect how the rest of the team is built. Toronto is already over the luxury cap. If they don't give FVV 20 or 25 million a year, it doesn't mean they get to spend that on someone else. In all likelihood, they'll lose most of that cap space.

Just give the guy the money. The team is winning without Lowry and Ibaka, so you know the team can remain good as long as they keep the FVV/Siakam/OG/Powell core together long-term.
I just think tying up a max contract to a guy like Fred is not good. In the playoffs when teams focus on key match ups, in the long run, I think his size will will hurt. Fred is listed at 6'0 but is nowhere near that tall. Lowry is listed at 6'1.

B88701415Z.1_20190508183822_000_GQJJ9CI4.3-0_Super_Portrait.jpg

There is a difference in being good and being championship quality. I'm more impressed with how good Davis has looked based on his athleticism and his aggressiveness. That's a guy who I hope improves. He has the size you need on D and has great offensive skills.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I just think tying up a max contract to a guy like Fred is not good. In the playoffs when teams focus on key match ups, in the long run, I think his size will will hurt. Fred is listed at 6'0 but is nowhere near that tall. Lowry is listed at 6'1.

There is a difference in being good and being championship quality. I'm more impressed with how good Davis has looked based on his athleticism and his aggressiveness. That's a guy who I hope improves. He has the size you need on D and has great offensive skills.
What is your resolution? You can't let a player like that walk away for nothing.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

There is no "tying up" though. Either the Raps re-sign him and stay above the luxury line or they don't re-sign him and they're still likely above the luxury line.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
If we look at tonights game as an example Siakam went 0 for 3 in the 4th. Against Miami, 0 for 1. Dallas. 0 for 4. Clippers, 1 for 6. Very DeRozian.

What I am not seeing from this team is the grittiness it requires to win tough games. They are looking too much for the 3 instead of getting to the basket and drawing fowls.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Teams depleted but still doesn't excuse nurses' massive overplaying of Mccaw. Rather give his minutes to someone like TD who has more upside.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Teams depleted but still doesn't excuse nurses' massive overplaying of Mccaw. Rather give his minutes to someone like TD who has more upside.
I have a feeling he is just trying to get guys as many minutes as he can because come the playoffs they are going to rely heavily on ther bench more than any team has before. Not trying to show there hand too early in the season. These injuries might actually help out with having a fresher team down the stretch as long as they are not to severe.

Sep 19, 2008
Raptors are 2nd best in East and still winning without kawhi :huh:

You could even say they'd beat Philly or Boston. Only Milwaukee is better.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Ideally Raps finish 2nd and face the Nets/Magic in Round 1, then the Bucks face one of Miami/Philly/Boston/Indiana in Round 2, and you hope one of them can take out the Bucks. And then the Raps take care of business themselves.

Reactions: Tuggy

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Raps looking primed to make some noise in the playoffs, while there's talk of Adam Silver trying to meddle with Ujiri and the Knicks.

Gotta help out that floundering big market team, y'know? :shakehead

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

It’s not really a headscratcher at all. They were a 50 win team without Kawhi. They’ve built a culture that’s far greater than one player and they’re well on their way to 7th straight season with 48+ wins because of it. All this while missing every key player for 10+ games. This 12 game win streak came once they got somewhat healthy - prior to that they were 3-4 in man games missed to injury and had the 4th hardest schedule until mid January.

If you thought they’d fall off you probably weren’t paying much attention. Marc Spears who I believe is the best in the business, picked a Raptors-Bucks rematch in the ECF before the season started.
I was hoping they would add a shooter. Maybe someone will come along through buyout.
Me too, and send Stanley Johnson the other way. He’s got a player option for next year that’ll likely be his best option at this point.

Hopefully Detroit waives John Henson and they pick him up. With Gasol’s lingering injury I think depth at 5 could be useful. Love Boucher but at 200lbs he’s better suited at the 4. He gets bodied in the paint far too often.

Last edited:

member 157595

Raps looking primed to make some noise in the playoffs, while there's talk of Adam Silver trying to meddle with Ujiri and the Knicks.

Gotta help out that floundering big market team, y'know? :shakehead

David Stern would be very proud.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad