NBA Toronto Raptors thread

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
pipe dream based on masai and giannis and his family being very close

Ah, ok. I didn't know if there was something (small) there, or if it was 100% a hope. It was a little confusing as big name UFAs don't come to Toronto, so it was confusing why some fans on Twitter seemed pretty confident about it.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Everyone knew he was going to LA but still put his body on the line for a title while not healthy. How can you hate on the guy for doing what everyone said he was going to do from the start? It’s not like e say out in the playoffs for FA. He got hurt and continued to play through it. What more did you want from him?

Yeah, if Kawhi took a dump at midcourt and walked back to the dressing room every night in 18-19 he still would have got the contract he signed today from the Clippers. The fact that he played as he did through the season and playoffs says quite a bit. We've seen lots of "stars" basically tank their way to UFA or force trades etc. He gave his all to the Raptors while he was with them and that's really all any player owes their employer IMO. Free agency is a right they earn by tenure.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
If the Raps want Westbrook I think they could swing a deal. If they want cap space they can just keep their roster intact too. OKC would basically be trading for that cap space next summer. Raps won't have lottery picks to offer.

Something like:

To Toronto

Westbrook
Adams
Filler (Maybe Roberson)

To OKC

Lowry
Gasol
Anunoby
Picks

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
The raps were still the most unlikely team in history to win the NBA Championship. Basketball in Canada simply wasn't supposed to come this far when they first came here in '95 and even if it's only once, they won their first in less than a quarter century worth of seasons, which is an incredibly impressive feat given where they were back in like 2012.

To really put things into perspective about the raps journey to the LOB from 95 to now:
- Sacremento hasn't won a title since 1951 (second longest active drought in NA sports; only the Indians have a longer drought)
- Atlanta last won in 1958 (when they were still in STL)
- Phoenix and LAC have never won a title before despite being around for 51 and 49 seasons, respectively
- Bucks haven't won since 1971
- Knicks haven't won since 1973
- The Nuggets, Jazz, Nets and Pacers have never won a title despite being around for 43-45 years
- The Blazers, Wizards and 76ers all haven't won anything in over 35 years
- Teams like the Magic, Wolves, and Hornets have never really came close to a title despite having a similar background to the raps in terms of age of existence and the struggles of being a new NBA market. I'd even argue all three of those teams above got off to better starts than TO did as well
- Even if we look at the some of the more elite franchises from the recent years, the Rockets haven't been back to the final dance since the year the Raps came into the league; the Celtics have won just one title since 1986; the Bulls have been mediocre to bad for much of the post-MJ era since 1998 (almost as long as the raps have been around for); and Cleveland has won one title in 50 years (after starting off with 46 years without a title - nearly double that of the raptors)
- The Thunder couldn't have had a greater abundance of talent since moving south from Seattle and all they have to show for is one finals appearance where they got stomped in. Even if we include their Seattle days, they last won 40 years in 1979...
- If we wanna stretch it even further, the Warriors organization as whole won just one title between 1957-2014, until they finally entered their golden era starting from 2015

In other words, the raps rise to glory since 1995 is welllll ahead of schedule in comparison to the history of manyyyyy other franchises who have been around for much much longer than TO has and play in much better markets for NBA players as well

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
Right now you can list three teams better than Toronto.

Philadelphia
Boston
Milwaukee

They ain't beating any of those teams without Kawhi. They literally beat Philadelphia on a shot from Kawhi.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Sucks that Kawhi is gone which means others are following him, but at the end of the day, the Raptors won a championship in an impossible league. I can die happy. lol

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Right now you can list three teams better than Toronto.

Philadelphia
Boston
Milwaukee

They ain't beating any of those teams without Kawhi. They literally beat Philadelphia on a shot from Kawhi.
not sold on Boston. They replaced Kyrie with Dollarama Kyrie and Horford with Tacko Fall and Kanter. Raptors in 6 over them.

Philly is a wildcard with Embiid good for missing 2-3 games a series. They lost their best playoff player too last season.

Milwaukee lost Brogdan, but I'll be stunned if they don't make it to the Finals.

Raptors/Pacers can both make a deep run IMO.

Sep 19, 2008
The Raptors again suffered big losses with Green and Leonard gone. This year is rebuilding. Winning the ECF Again is highly, highly unlikely.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Masai will have some tricks up his sleeve. He always does.

Lowry, Gasol, Ibaka, and VanVleet are all UFAs next summer.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If the Raps want Westbrook I think they could swing a deal. If they want cap space they can just keep their roster intact too. OKC would basically be trading for that cap space next summer. Raps won't have lottery picks to offer.

Something like:

To Toronto

Westbrook
Adams
Filler (Maybe Roberson)

To OKC

Lowry
Gasol
Anunoby
Picks
I don't think the Raptors would even be remotely interested in that sort of trade for Russell Westbrook.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't think the Raptors would even be remotely interested in that sort of trade for Russell Westbrook.

Yeah sounds like no one wants the contract and OKC will probably have to part with some of the picks they got for George to move it.

Sep 19, 2008
Nobody bandwagoned as hard on the North as I did but the honest reality of the situation is this team is doomed without Kawhi. He literally carried them to a title with a supporting cast. Now he's gone. You cannot tell me that Toronto could possibly repeat without their best player. I mean, thanks for all he did, but he left and Green's gone too. Toronto could make the playoffs but any hope of a repeat is pretty much over.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Nobody bandwagoned as hard on the North as I did but the honest reality of the situation is this team is doomed without Kawhi. He literally carried them to a title with a supporting cast. Now he's gone. You cannot tell me that Toronto could possibly repeat without their best player. I mean, thanks for all he did, but he left and Green's gone too. Toronto could make the playoffs but any hope of a repeat is pretty much over.
Literally nobody, anywhere, is saying the Raps are going to repeat.

With no moves we are still a playoff team that could sneak a round or possibly 2 out, but IMO we need to go full tear down and find a superstar in the draft. The NBA is a superstar driven league, and we are once again, without one.

Sep 19, 2008
Literally nobody, anywhere, is saying the Raps are going to repeat.

With no moves we are still a playoff team that could sneak a round or possibly 2 out, but IMO we need to go full tear down and find a superstar in the draft. The NBA is a superstar driven league, and we are once again, without one.
you need to find one that wants to stay and create a dynasty

One year mercenaries aren't going to cut it long term. MIght get one title but then they'll end up leaving again. Draft and develop someone who actually wants to stay

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
you need to find one that wants to stay and create a dynasty

One year mercenaries aren't going to cut it long term. MIght get one title but then they'll end up leaving again. Draft and develop someone who actually wants to stay

Who'se the last true superstar to stay with one team his whole career?

Kobe and Duncan come to mind, and for the latter, the spurs won a lottery to get him.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
At this point the East is Milwaukee’s to lose. There is almost no other competition. Raps without Leonard can still finish semi high based on the EC but they won’t beat the Bucks or 76ers. I think next year is the year Siakam really turns it up but without a true star, you can’t be a serious threat.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

Uncle Dennis is a snake through and through. I'll miss Kawhi but his hanger-ons (Dennis and Castleberry) couldn't leave fast enough for me.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I watched most of the first game last night at a Boston Pizza in Etobicoke.

Sat in the "bar" section that had TVs at most angles, including a big one against the back wall.

Great, right?

Only this time, one couple decided that the table JUST BELOW that giant TV would be a great spot to have a heated argument for the entire first half of the game.

It was super awkward and everyone around them could tell they were making a scene....I couldn't tell what was said but the woman seemed to be the aggressor. I tried my best to ignore it and just follow the game, I really did. :laugh:

Anyways, nice to see them start the season with a W.

Reactions: RoryDelap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad