NBA Toronto Raptors thread

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Gonna suck for Toronto when he leaves

they better win now because they wont get this close again for quite some time

I'm seeing a lot of nonsense like this in American sports outlets today. I don't think anyone down south understands how much this win means for the fanbase. This was a full redeeming story arc from Carter's missed shot in 2001. Within that time period there has been nothing but failure in the playoffs, and for the first time, there's some semblance of hope. That alone makes the Kawhi trade worth it, regardless of if he leaves or not.

I don't understand why everyone is so keen to undercut this basketball moment for Canadians. It's incredibly petty

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
He’s going to get max money wherever he signs. Thst much is clear. Toronto is good enough with him yo challenge for a title. It would be a far bigger achievement for his legacy to win one for Toronto than it would be to go to a stacked team and win.

He led a good but not otherworldly spurs team to a title. Pull that off again and his legacy rises tenfold.

Reactions: Trade and Voight
Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
I really hope he stays, but I wouldn't bet money on it.. In his presser he talked about how it could be his last game and then stalled a sec and said for the "season".. Or maybe I am reading too much into that.

Either way.. Toronto wasn't going anywhere with Demar, so might as well go all in and give it a go and then start a rebuild if Kawhi leaves.

Last edited:

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I'm seeing a lot of nonsense like this in American sports outlets today. I don't think anyone down south understands how much this win means for the fanbase. This was a full redeeming story arc from Carter's missed shot in 2001. Within that time period there has been nothing but failure in the playoffs, and for the first time, there's some semblance of hope. That alone makes the Kawhi trade worth it, regardless of if he leaves or not.

I don't understand why everyone is so keen to undercut this basketball moment for Canadians. It's incredibly petty

Except that Toronto reached the ECF a couple of years ago. Kawhi was brought in to take Toronto PAST that point. The trade was worth it before the season started because he is a star. Even if he does likely leave in the offseason.

The pressure is on Toronto's supporting cast to actually show up. Kawhi is the only reason they're playing another series and I have a feeling he will cancel Giannis out.

Reactions: Voight

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
You mean the truth?

I dont even have a dog in the NBA finals and thats what every announcer and analyst is saying - its a one run wonder for Torontk and they need to win it
lol nobody knows what Kawhi is going to do and anyone that says they do are liars. The guys circle is notoriously tight.

He might or might not sign with the Raps, we'll find out in the summer, hopefully after an NBA Championship.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I really hope he stays, but I wouldn't bet money on it.. In his presser he talked about how it could be his last game and then stalled a sec and said for the "season".. Or maybe I am reading too much into that.

Either way.. Toronto wasn't going anywhere with Demar, so might as well go all in and give it a go and then start a rebuild if Kawaii leaves.

Thats why they made the move. Lowry & Ibaka are free agents in 2020, IIRC J-Val is too (when they had him). Ujiri knew this core had one or two more runs in it, why not go all in with the hope you'll either win or re-sign Kawhi, or both. If everything finals then you can start tearing the team apart this year or just have a lame duck season.

Reactions: DoyleG and sparxx87

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA

Well I would love to see Toronto win the NBA championship. Raptors or Bucks for me. I don't think Portland has the dogs. Unfortunately it looks like another GS run. But crossing my fingers things change.

Sep 19, 2008
You mean the truth?

I dont even have a dog in the NBA finals and thats what every announcer and analyst is saying - its a one run wonder for Torontk and they need to win it

I don't know if Kawaii is coming back

If he doesn't it's definitely a one run wonder for Toronto

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Congrats to Toronto but there are 2 things about this franchise that drive me nuts - that grinning goof Drake and the fact that their announcers ( and it doesn't matter if the game is on TSN or Sportsnet ) keep trying to shove down our throats how " all of Canada is pulling for the Raptors ". :thumbd:

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Congrats to Toronto but there are 2 things about this franchise that drive me nuts - that grinning goof Drake and the fact that their announcers ( and it doesn't matter if the game is on TSN or Sportsnet ) keep trying to shove down our throats how " all of Canada is pulling for the Raptors ". :thumbd:

The Raptors announcers are the biggest homers I’ve seen in professional sports. It’s brutal

Reactions: TB12

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
The Raptors announcers are the biggest homers I’ve seen in professional sports. It’s brutal
As much as I agree with you and hate Jack Armstrong, sometimes they may sound like homers but the raps historically never get the calls. In your mind they may sound like homers but, frustration will eventually show no matter who you are when calls are always going against your team.

Reactions: Roman Fell

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I’ve really enjoyed the TNT in game crew with Marv Albert, Chris Webber and Reggie Miller. That whole network is great because they’ve got so many former players working that you can usually get a great analysis. In game crew to the panel with Chuck/Kenny etc, and even the post game crew... Getting the A team for this Bucks series was a real treat.

Canadian media is biased and half of the American media doesn’t watch the Raptors. TNT does it right.

Reactions: DoyleG

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
As much as I agree with you and hate Jack Armstrong, sometimes they may sound like homers but the raps historically never get the calls. In your mind they may sound like homers but, frustration will eventually show no matter who you are when calls are always going against your team.

"Get dat gawbidge ouddahere!" :sarcasm:

Reactions: Roman Fell

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
the fact that their announcers ( and it doesn't matter if the game is on TSN or Sportsnet ) keep trying to shove down our throats how " all of Canada is pulling for the Raptors ". :thumbd:

It's bad enough they do this in hockey. Basketball too?

What happened in San Antonio just proves you have to keep a superstar at all costs. While both sides share blame, San Antonio might be looking at some rough years after so many years of success.

Even worse, just imagine to be an Indiana fan. They traded away Leonard for George Hill while having Paul George, Danny Granger and Crazy Lance on the same roster challenging Miami. Still waiting for a championship after only reaching the Finals once in 2000.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
It's bad enough they do this in hockey. Basketball too?

What happened in San Antonio just proves you have to keep a superstar at all costs. While both sides share blame, San Antonio might be looking at some rough years after so many years of success.

Even worse, just imagine to be an Indiana fan. They traded away Leonard for George Hill while having Paul George, Danny Granger and Crazy Lance on the same roster challenging Miami. Still waiting for a championship after only reaching the Finals once in 2000.
Damn I haven't heard of the name "Danny Granger" in yearssssss. What happened to him? He used to be a pretty darn good player for Indy from what I remember

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Damn I haven't heard of the name "Danny Granger" in yearssssss. What happened to him? He used to be a pretty darn good player for Indy from what I remember

His body just broke down completely a year after Indiana traded away the rights to Leonard and shuffled around the league for a couple years.

He did some NCAA Tournament work on TNT/TBS/TRU years ago and I believe still works at CBS Sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad