NBA Toronto Raptors thread

HockeyFan100

Oct 7, 2012
The Raptors announcers are the biggest homers I’ve seen in professional sports. It’s brutal

Not even remotely close. They talk about the other team a lot and always point out when the Raptors do get away with bad calls. Just because they get really hype when a player on the Raptors make a great play doesn't mean they're 'the biggest homers in professional sports', get real.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Some street art thst has popped up in the city over past 1-2 weeks-

57896C23-A60E-4FF5-93A8-34B4587EAE74.jpeg
74D89216-9DA2-4932-B21F-FF49204B0D62.jpeg
5E54386B-78FD-4076-84BF-41BEDC10F621.jpeg

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Not even remotely close. They talk about the other team a lot and always point out when the Raptors do get away with bad calls. Just because they get really hype when a player on the Raptors make a great play doesn't mean they're 'the biggest homers in professional sports', get real.
Homer isn’t the right word, but it’s always from the Raptors perspective.

Major networks are more like 3rd party observers. Better balance of story lines etc.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Homer isn’t the right word, but it’s always from the Raptors perspective.

Major networks are more like 3rd party observers. Better balance of story lines etc.

You're kidding right? ESPN and ABC have been 100% behind the Warriors through their entire playoff run this year. They've basically been a regional broadcaster for them.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Wizards fans think they can take the Raps GM especially with him going so far this year :laugh:

Why would he leave to go to DC :laugh:

Report: Leonsis may lure Ujiri with ownership stake, role in Monumental

With Kawhi going to resign Masai has a potential opportunity to be the architect of a dynasty in the making if the Raptors win this year and likely make another deep run next year. Raptors are certainly contenders again next year with this same team. No way Masai is lured anywhere lol.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Wizards fans think they can take the Raps GM especially with him going so far this year :laugh:

Why would he leave to go to DC :laugh:

Report: Leonsis may lure Ujiri with ownership stake, role in Monumental

I think he would leave for 3 potential reasons:

1. Thinks that being in DC makes his Giants of Africa easier to manage/promote
2. Realizes this is the peak with TO so leaving now keeps him on a high and Masai carea about his PR more than any other executive I have ever seen
3. Wants a new challenge if the Raps win the title.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
What is next for us?

I'm no basketball expert, but most likely back to NBA irrelevance for an indeterminate period.

Although Masai has proven to be heck of an executive, you never know. But you're not going to win anything without at least 1 top NBA player and those will continue to be next to impossible for us to obtain let alone keep.

Championships are immortal though. lots of teams still haven't won one or even got close.

we'll always have that banner. and the memories.

sorry wish I had a more positive answer.

Reactions: irunthepeg

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Hard to go full rebuild after winning a title but I think the Raptors need to.

Lowry, Gasol and Ibaka are all on expiring deals. I think they need to explore the trade market for them the rest of the summer, and if nothing worthwhile comes up keep on it during the season. Stockpile 1st round picks.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
It's not all doom and gloom in Toronto. They're out of the championship picture for the next little while, but there's some good pieces that remain. Powell, Van Vleet, Siakam and Anunoby are guys you can build around. As others pointed out, the expiring contracts of Lowry, Gasol and Ibaka can be huge trading chips. Don't forget that they're going to have TONS of cap space as well. I don't think they'll go full 76ers in terms of rebuild, but I can definitely see a Celtics-type of rebuild on the horizon. The Raptors have a smart executive and that will make all the difference in the world.

Reactions: LDN

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
What is next for us?

A longggggggggg way down.

Good news is they won't be completely destroyed like Cleveland was. Twice.

They're in playoff fringe boat with Miami, Detroit and others competing for those last 3 playoff slots.

Boston
Brooklyn
Indiana
Milwaukee
Philadelphia

Are the locks IMO

Reactions: LDN

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Toronto was on the verge of a rebuild anyways imo before the Kawhi deal that ended up netting them a championship before the inevitable.

Luckily for Toronto, they have a smart FO in charge so it won’t be full scorched irrelevancy for an extended period, but fighting for a playoff spot seems to be in the future if they don’t unload some of the older guys whose contracts are coming up.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
As the roster currently stands, this is still a 50+ win team, easily.

I just don't think it's worth our while to have one more competitive year.

Masai turned down Siakam for PG13 and Westbrook (with probably a ton of futures going to OKC). He seems to have a plan.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I'm very excited about this upcoming season, no need for the doom and gloom. Siakam will continue to develop into a beast, OG will play and be great, Van Vleet is still young, still have Lowry and Gasol too, albeit aging.

It could have been so much worse, we could have failed to win with Kawhi and left us with nothing to show for it. We now have a banner hanging high above, and even better we have that gold championship tab on the back of our jersey's collars now..that's the legacy and continual reminder for us that we reached the very peak of the NBA, even if it was just for 1 year, its something a ton of teams haven't done in half a century plus, others never.

As a Raptors fan I'm content just seeing them being a competitive team now for the next decade plus. The Raptors were probably the most unlikely franchise to win an NBA title ever since entering the league in 1995, will never forget this run.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
What if we trade for Russ?

With what? I guess cap space from expiring deals...but the picks it would cost would gut the Raps. Depth is key. I kinda think the Clippers are going to be in a bit of trouble that way to backfill their roster around the stars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->