Post-Game Talk: TORONTO @ OTTAWA | That was uh... bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Hey everyone. Missed the game but saw that they almost outshot the sens 2 to 1.

I know it was a shutout but how did the team play and any stand outs? (good or bad)

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
you did last year.

this reason right here wasn't really a good reason to fire him either. but whatever. i don't care. you said you didn't, you didn't, i'm really not in the mood to debate you on this right now.

I love how he isn't responding to my post when I clearly outlined what everyone else here could see. His status above his name had Fire Shanahan for months. Probably even a year.

Bobs your uncle

Sep 18, 2003
Canada
I love how he isn't responding to my post when I clearly outlined what everyone else here could see. His status above his name had Fire Shanahan for months. Probably even a year.

No disrespect but do you have some overwhelming need to win a discussion?
I mean really, who cares?

Ramboshaw

Apr 9, 2012
Meadow Lake, SK
Hey everyone. Missed the game but saw that they almost outshot the sens 2 to 1.

I know it was a shutout but how did the team play and any stand outs? (good or bad)

Soshnikov was fantastic, even without putting up a point, he is the type of player the Oilers are direly missing, someone who shows up to play EVERY shift, and talented also.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock speaks to the media following Toronto's 4-0 loss in Ottawa on Saturday night.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Soshnikov was fantastic, even without putting up a point, he is the type of player the Oilers are direly missing, someone who shows up to play EVERY shift, and talented also.

Like Babcock said. They got nothing. When the Leafs broke down, they capitalized. We outplayed, outshot and killed them in the dot.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Uh, and who hasn't? Who exactly were the Leafs going to dominate this year? And to what end?
They're the ones who should be worried, a budget team who went for it this year and came up short. Let them have their project pick, sign some more overpaid veteran plugs to surround Karlsson. We've been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

this is what made me laugh when the fans were chanting "Hey hey! Goodbye!" Congrats Ottawa, you won't make the playoffs AND you'll end up in no man's land with the 12th or13th pick. What a great season. Ottawa are seriously wasting Karlsson's best years. Nowhere near good enough to make the playoffs let alone being a contender. They have a 36 year old goalie, they just traded for Phaneuf who has 5-6 years left on his deal. They're a budget team...if there is a team that defines "no direction" it's Ottawa.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Nylander is not a bust, he's just pretty damn one-dimensional right now. When he has the puck you can tell there is a star quality to him, without the puck he floats around and is generally useless.

I can give him a pass based on his age, he'll be better next year. You can't teach skills, if Babs can train him to be our Datsyuk/Zetterberg, it'll be worth the wait.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Nobody has called him a bust. He just needs to shake the jitters and show more jam.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Nobody has called him a bust. He just needs to shake the jitters and show more jam.

Perhaps that's the reason they brought him up this season. Draisaitl struggled massively before it began to click this season.

He will have the whole offseason to work on his game now that he knows what it's going to take to be a top player in this league.

My opinion on him wouldn't change even if he had points in all the games so far. Nylander isn't a first overall pick, it's unfair to assume he will just become a star right away.

It took Johansen like 3-4 years after being drafted to become a good player. He's doing a lot better than most of his comparables.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
Young guys need some seasoning and I think that getting JVR and Bozak back would help them. Put JVR with Nylander, move PAP to Bozak line or something similar, it depends on offseason moves.

Valiev goes back to Marlies for next season, maybe 1 more, but I think he showed the most promise of all our rookies on blue-line, followed by Carrick. Valiev looked like he could become top4 dmen, he had nice poise and wasn't out of position.
I don't like Corrado, always seemed a little bit slow, a little bit behind the game snd his decisions were also a little bit slow.

Our 1st line was not good, they(and also other lines) couldn't establish a cycle in offensive zone, they have to be better tonight.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
In what context did I write about firing Shanahan?

Shanahan, or no Shanahan, I've been supporting a true rebuild for 40 frigging years!

I just don't support tanking, or cheering for the Leafs to lose!

"Leafs need to truely rebuild! Enough with this 9th-11th place in the conference BS!"

*Leafs drop to top 5 pick territory*

"I don't support tanking! This is BS!"

Oi

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I thought Valiev looked pretty decent in his NHL debut. He has the look of a future NHL regular a little more than some of the other AHL defensemen.

That game is an example of what life would be like against physical opponents if the Leafs totally ignore developing those sorts of prospects as well as the skilled ones. Definitely a game where the SOG are deceiving. Ottawa had far more great scoring chances while most of the Leafs' shots were harmless.

Michalek appears to be finished. A big game against his old team and he was utterly invisible. At this point a buyout seems like a better option for him. It would cost $1.33M in cap for 2 years.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Also, I hate the whole "I've been wanting a rebuild for 40 years!" crap.

Not one Leaf fan was wanting to rebuild during the 1993, or the 2002 cup runs.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
Corrado has replaced Marincin as the most useless player in the show. He MIGHT be a servicible AHL player. He does nothing well. Not physical, not fast, can't pass, can't shoot. Just utter garbage.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Corrado has replaced Marincin as the most useless player in the show. He MIGHT be a servicible AHL player. He does nothing well. Not physical, not fast, can't pass, can't shoot. Just utter garbage.

How much of that is not his fault, as he essentially sat for half a year, destroyed his confidence, and wasn't in game shape when other players are gearing up for the playoffs?

He looks good in Vancouver, I don't think he'll be a #3 or more D, but I think he's better than a "serviceable AHLer".

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
How much of that is not his fault, as he essentially sat for half a year, destroyed his confidence, and wasn't in game shape when other players are gearing up for the playoffs?

He looks good in Vancouver, I don't think he'll be a #3 or more D, but I think he's better than a "serviceable AHLer".

Maybe he was sitting cause Babs saw how hot garbage he was. Ding ding ding!

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
Also, I hate the whole "I've been wanting a rebuild for 40 years!" crap.

Not one Leaf fan was wanting to rebuild during the 1993, or the 2002 cup runs.

maybe not. but every fan after 2002 and the strike wanted it tore down not patched back together. first time the players screwed us. (musk 5)

from 2002 and beyond its all on management this team was patched together more times then your first bike tire...

through bad trades for over the hill players(Leetch Nolan), Hell even unproven ones. due to inpatients (Rycroft for Rask or Steen and carco for stempniak who then we traded for 20c on the dollar) toskala trade should also be mentioned

then burke showed up and underestimated how good the team was finished 8th last. second year burke over estimates how good we will be and sells 2 firsts off to Boston. impeding the rebuild for another 2 years. which hurts more because rumor was the cost was kaberle + 7TH(kadri) pick at the draft

Burke also doesn't pay attention to the league, which is changing from a bruising to skilled, less hitting, No fighting less aggressive and Faster League. He goes and wastes 2 drafts picking primarily large bruising forwards. (not all **** we got loov and brown)

then comes nonis. who pretty much placed us in cap hell. wasting our free buyouts. hell even just grabo, he completely mismanaged the cap signed some of the worst f/a . then we get too Kessel and Phaneuf instead of trading them and starting the rebuild then, he goes and resigns them to albatross contracts. Signs Clarkson to "a top 5" worst contracts of all time. gets rid of it which was really his only good feat during his tenure. I may have *****ed about burke but atleast he had balls when it came to negotiating it seemed nonis just gave them a check. Shanahan gets hired

the only positive memory I have of nonis was at the last draft. him walking up to the mic looking like a dead man walking. trembled some when he drafted nylander lol

Then the world came down, 90% of scouts and management fired over the next 2 years. young smart new gen asgm comes in named dubas. starts the recruitment for the best in analytics, names Mark hunter Head of development and scouting. hires all new scouts we then proceed revamp the marlies and minors management hired babs then lou

we just previously had on paper one of our best drafts in history.(after year one)

what it comes down too in the end. We are in year 2 of our rebuild when we should be finished and competing. However on that note I think that's why we are so excited about the rebuild. we have never actually seen one first hand.

at first glance it also looks like we have cheated by having the hunters and the best scouts money can buy. Our scouting staff probably cost as much as most teams coaching staffs

but sometimes its not about if its about the when that matters.

I apologize. 7 am sobering up rant. started as a reply and just kept going

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad