Rinat Valiev - Frank Corrado

Garrett Sparks Starts (Confirmed)

Here's a Picture of Auston Matthews!

635810280990232295-c07-matthews-1019.jpg

Last edited:

Eisenh0rn

May 30, 2009
UK
Think that should be Ben Smith unless Colin got called up after the Marlies game last night - just to be super picky.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I still can't get over the fact that this franchise looks at Marincin's potential as a top pairing d-man...just amazing stuff.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I still can't get over the fact that this franchise looks at Marincin's potential as a top pairing d-man...just amazing stuff.

If you look at the advanced stats, it may not be far off.

Marincin is like the 7th best d-men in the entire NHL at shot suppression, and is our best defensive d-man in almost every category by a quite a bit.

I'm not a fan of Marincin personally, but it's hard to argue with stats, and the stats support the guy.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Marincin looks bloody terrible on the ice, I don't need advanced stats to tell me that.

On the whole, I'm not a huge fan of corsi, fenwick, and shot suppression/generation stats. They're often times misleading, and are taken as gospel by some over anything else. I trust what my eyes tell me, not what some stupid hero chart provides. And for the record, those same charts say Rielly is beyond awful defensively. Shot attempts against and goals against aren't even bottom pair calibre for Morgan.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto

Marincin is like the 7th best d-men in the entire NHL at shot suppression, and is our best defensive d-man in almost every category by a quite a bit.

I'm not a fan of Marincin personally, but it's hard to argue with stats, and the stats support the guy.

I'm gonna be specifically watching out for him today.

Every defensive metric out there has Marincin in above average to elite territory

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

I doubt they look at him as a top pairing player. What they say right now is irrelevant.

Anyways, I hope Willy torches the Sens tonight. Tank can go on hold for another night.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Marincin looks bloody terrible on the ice, I don't need advanced stats to tell me that.

On the whole, I'm not a huge fan of corsi, fenwick, and shot suppression/generation stats. They're often times misleading, and are taken as gospel by some over anything else. I trust what my eyes tell me, not what some stupid hero chart provides. And for the record, those same charts say Rielly is beyond awful defensively. Shot attempts against and goals against aren't even bottom pair calibre for Morgan.

Not sure how they are misleading. Corsi is shot attempts for vs against. Shot suppression/generation is pretty basic. Same with Fenwick.

Actually, when you look at Rielly's HERO chart, it's pretty bang on. In a 3 year span;

His TOI% is that of middle pairing defender
His individual production is that of a high end middle pairing defender
His CF60 (Team Relative) is that of an average top pairing defender
His CA60 (Team Relative) is that of bottom pairing defender
His CF% (Team Relative) is equal of a middle pairing defender

And that is the story on Rielly. Offensively he's ready to be a top pairing defender, however he still needs work on his defensive game, and it would be wise to pair him with a good defensive player.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

He essentially excels without the puck. When he has the puck, he's a nuclear reactor waiting to explode.

So when he's put in situations like on the PK, his big reach and good mobility really shines.

So this is why he's paired with Rielly for now because they probably think they can compliment each other very well. It's really not a bad idea to give it a try and see if Marincin would be better with an elite level puck mover.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He essentially excels without the puck. When he has the puck, he's a nuclear reactor waiting to explode.

So when he's put in situations like on the PK, his big reach and good mobility really shines.

So this is why he's paired with Rielly for now because they probably think they can compliment each other very well. It's really not a bad idea to give it a try and see if Marincin would be better with an elite level puck mover.

I agree with this. Sums it up nicely.

Like I said, I'm not a fan of Marincin, however stats are stats, and let's see how he does.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I don't agree with all the hate on Marincin. I don't think he's amazing... but he's no where near Grabner bad or anything like that. He's still young... he could still be an NHL caliber defender IMO.

He does make a few mistakes... but certainly not a Franson level of mistakes.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Maple Leafs-Ottawa Senators: Saturday game preview

The Senators (31-30-8) have won but once in their past six games (1-3-2).

By: Kevin McGran Sports Reporter, Published on Fri Mar 11 2016

CANADIAN TIRE CENTRE

Puck drop: 7 p.m.

TV: CBC

Radio: TSN Radio 1050

Key matchup:Milan Michalek vs. Dion Phaneuf.

Former Senator Michalek will make his first return, as will Colin Greening, to the Canadian Tire Centre after being acquired via trade by the Leafs. It will be Michalek’s third game as a Leaf and first against his former team after 6 1/2 seasons in Ottawa. Phaneuf has a goal and six assists in 15 games as Senator.

Need to know: The Senators (31-30-8) have won but once in their past six games (1-3-2) . . . Zach Smith has scored in four consecutive games and has a seven-game point streak (five goals, two assists) . . . The Sens have allowed the opening goal in 45 games this season . . . Ottawa’s special teams aren’t that great. The power play is rated 23rd in the league (17.2 per cent) while the penalty killing is 29th (74.2 per cent).

Up next: Sunday, at Red Wings, 7:30 p.m., Sportsnet

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I doubt they look at him as a top pairing player. What they say right now is irrelevant.

Anyways, I hope Willy torches the Sens tonight. Tank can go on hold for another night.

brrzzt wrong.

I hope the kids play amazing, but we start getting some distance between some teams.

we've got four points on Winnipeg and one less game.

overall picture >>>> beating Ottawa.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

as someone who couldn't even tell you what any one of those stats are .... I think you're kind of wrong ;) All statistics have their place when they are given in context - as well as your eyes. it's the #1 thing my sociology statistic professor told me - all stats lie - but all stats tell the truth - it's your job to find out where, how and why.

this isn't to say that Maricin is "better" than all else - but I think that he's a young defenseman who spent a lot of time in a previous organization that wasn't really good in regards to development, so we kind of have to undo that - before we see what we actually have (and I don't think that happens in a season for a developing defenseman)

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
461ef2f404.png

It will be interesting to see how Rielly fairs playing with Marincin instead of Hunwick.

I'd imagine part of Marincin's nice advanced stats is due to getting "easy" minutes.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

I think a lot of people just like to make him their whipping boy. He makes a mistake & half the people lose their mind on this thread, someone else makes the same mistake & there isn't a peep.

The beginning of his year he 13 ish minutes a game & each game had glaring giveaways or weak plays. He'll still make errors, but far fewer & less frequent than before. In the last 10 games he has only played under 19:30 mins once & has played as much as 25:13 mins. He is becoming a work horse & I thought his last game was very good. Gardiner last year made a bonehead play a game. I think Marincin is already below that & has improved drastically from the start.

He actually may be one to keep & see how that progression carries for the next year or two. He's still very young for a D.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I think a lot of people just like to make him their whipping boy. He makes a mistake & half the people lose their mind on this thread, someone else makes the same mistake & there isn't a peep.

The beginning of his year he 13 ish minutes a game & each game had glaring giveaways or weak plays. He'll still make errors, but far fewer & less frequent than before. In the last 10 games he has only played under 19:30 mins once & has played as much as 25:13 mins. He is becoming a work horse & I thought his last game was very good. Gardiner last year made a bonehead play a game. I think Marincin is already below that & has improved drastically from the start.

He actually may be one to keep & see how that progression carries for the next year or two. He's still very young for a D.

I think it's a case of just looking awkward, he is a gangling 6'4" young player and at 24 hasn't quite put it all together, he knows what to do, as his stats would indicate and I think he will be a good player as time goes on and will not look as if he's a little lost out there.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
Hopefully a high scoring loss with Willy getting done points along with sosh and Hyman. I enjoy watching the games now, pretty exciting watching some up tempo young guys.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
brrzzt wrong.

I hope the kids play amazing, but we start getting some distance between some teams.

we've got four points on Winnipeg and one less game.

overall picture >>>> beating Ottawa.

So if the Leafs finish last place in the league, they only have a 20% chance of finishing with the 1st pick. Sure, that's better than the next team, but that's an 80% chance of NOT picking first overall.

So at this point in the season, why does it matter if they finish in dead last or 29th?

Beating your rival > finishing dead last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad