Post-Game Talk: Toronto Matthews Leafs lose again.

Legendary

Sep 1, 2016
This is what my lines would be on wed but what do I know:

Leivo-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Moore-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
JVR-Bozak-Hyman

member 262271

This is what my lines would be on wed but what do I know:

Leivo-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Moore-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
JVR-Bozak-Hyman
Moore on the 2nd line? Woof! I hesitate to predict anything ever, but I have a feeling they'll try Marleau at center again.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I know Leaf fans always need to scapegoat a guy, but there are 4-5 players out there who are better candidates than Martin.

For instance, Moore was also on that 4th line that got outshot, but he's also the guy who took the dumb retaliation penalty that cost us a goal (something you don't see Martin do).

There's the awful Polak. Bozak is a liability as often as he's an asset. I haven't seen much of Komarov this year. JVR puts in a sincere effort maybe once per period.

Never mind the fights, there is also value in playing heavy and throwing hits, and Martin is the league leader in hits/minute. He's also, so far, drawn more penalties than he's taken.

Pick on the other guys; Martin is not one of our problems.

Also...I know people want to see Leivo in the lineup, but you wouldn't be doing Josh any favours by playing him 7 minutes/night next to Moore. The best way for Josh to get in is to wait for an injury or for us to bloody move Bozak or JVR already so he can get some real minutes with real linemates.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I know Leaf fans always need to scapegoat a guy, but there are 4-5 players out there who are better candidates than Martin.

For instance, Moore was also on that 4th line that got outshot, but he's also the guy who took the dumb retaliation penalty that cost us a goal (something you don't see Martin do).

There's the awful Polak. Bozak is a liability as often as he's an asset. I haven't seen much of Komarov this year. JVR puts in a sincere effort maybe once per period.

Never mind the fights, there is also value in playing heavy and throwing hits, and Martin is the league leader in hits/minute. He's also, so far, drawn more penalties than he's taken.

Pick on the other guys; Martin is not one of our problems.

We don't really have a Bozak replacement. We have 2 for Martin. Some of the best teams in the league barely have any hits game in and out. Komarov hasn't done much but at least he PKs and has some sort of role that makes him sort of valuable.

Polak shouldn't be playing above Carrick either.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
We don't really have a Bozak replacement. We have 2 for Martin.

I've heard this too, but we do have options - Babcock has already declared Nylander a future C, so give him a line (say with JVR and Leivo), and move Mitch next to Matthews. Or put Marleau at C - it's not ideal, but his two-way play at C will be superior to Bozak.

This way, also, you're putting Leivo/Kapanen in a position to succeed with good linemates and ample minutes. Again, you're not doing either guy any favours by giving them 7 minutes/game next to Moore.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I've heard this too, but we do have options - Babcock has already declared Nylander a future C, so give him a line (say with JVR and Leivo), and move Mitch next to Matthews. Or put Marleau at C - it's not ideal, but his two-way play at C will be superior to Bozak.

This way, also, you're putting Leivo/Kapanen in a position to succeed with good linemates and ample minutes. Again, you're not doing either guy any favours by giving them 7 minutes/game next to Moore.

Babcock all ready made some small tweaks to his lines as per the practice right now, which puts Marleau as a center.

Either way, I'm just saying that Bozak may have his warts but he's shown and has been a contributor as a center, whether it's winning faceoffs or playing on the PP/PK.

Martin only hits and right now, the issue isn't a 4th liner playing ~7 minutes a night hitting players. We have 2 young players that can contribute a lot more than just hits, which should be our focus since we're leaking and it's not even November.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I like the idea of Bozak sitting and Marleau playing center, throw Kappenen in and alternate games between Leivo and Martin.

Polak doesn't upset me as much as Gardiner does, and Carrick can't clear the front of the net or refuses too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad