Post-Game Talk: Toronto Matthews Leafs lose again.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Be honest. Do you think we lost this game because of our 4th line LW? People blaming Martin of all people make me laugh.

The whole team (minus a select few) have absolutely sucked the last 3 weeks.
If only Leivo had dressed......

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Did we lose only because of him? No. Is that a reason to keep playing him and let a superior player sit? No. If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem

Well given that reasoning I could probably name 12-15 more players who are part of the problem right now. Singling out your 4th line LW seems really weird to me.

What about the 4.2M center our coach can't even trust to play in the 3rd period? What about the ogre on the blueline who actively gets us scored on? Better yet, what about our superstar RW who can't seem to get on track?

We have much more glaring issues than Matt f***ing Martin playing 10 mins a game.

Reactions: Kurtz and ACC1224

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Well given that reasoning I could probably name 12-15 more players who are part of the problem right now. Singling out your 4th line LW seems really weird to me.

What about the 4.2M center our coach can't even trust to play in the 3rd period? What about the ogre on the blueline who actively gets us scored on? Better yet, what about our superstar RW who can't seem to get on track?

We have much more glaring issues than Matt ****ing Martin playing 10 mins a game.
Polak, Martin, and Bozak are the 3 biggest problems. Swap them out for Leivo, Kapanen, and Dermott/Carrick and you'll see improvement pretty fast

Legendary

Sep 1, 2016
How come when I see stats like these it never says hyman's name?
Because he never has the puck and when he does it usually leads to a failed wraparound attempt. Anyways, Hyman is the least of our worries. A good player on the wrong line. Bozak, JVR, Komarov on the other hand.....

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Did we lose only because of him? No. Is that a reason to keep playing him and let a superior player sit? No. If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem

You play him so that teams don't take liberties with Marner Matthews and Nylander.

You like them being injury free? Partially thank Martin for that.

And before you say that stuff doesn't matter anymore...YES it does. It STILL does. Martin in the lineup has served notice..."if you try to hit one of those three...you WILL have to fight me." That's the message.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
You play him so that teams don't take liberties with Marner Matthews and Nylander.

And before you say that stuff doesn't matter anymore...YES it does. It STILL does. Martin in the lineup has served notice..."if you try to hit one of those three...you WILL have to fight me." That's the message.
doesn't matter at all sorry

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
You don't screw around with one of the best lines in hockey to satisfy curiosity. If that line falls off completely at some point, then sure. But not now.

That's what I don't get. There's one thing that works really well on this team, and it is that line. Why are people focusing on breaking it up? There are plenty of actual problems to look at.
I agree that now is not the time to try it, but there were times in the past it could have been an idea or maybe in the future like you said if the line starts to come back down to earth.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I am not sure how Babcock can fix the defensive issues that are pretty evident every night unless some moves are made

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

...people try and hit those 3 all the time.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I don't think so, but I get your point.

yes it is boizak has been doing that his whole career; there was a post couple years ago that showed bozak's primary production (removing 2nd assists) cant find that now.

playing a good 2 way game is way harder than just putting in ponts; ask Ovi :laugh:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
pretty much only the 4th line and Bozak tbh. The Kadri line was about even and the Matthews line dominated
The shots were 38 - 18, this wasn't a game that could have gone either way.
Thankfully Andersen made a rare appearance or this would have been a blow out.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Sometimes you just need a guy that can step up. When Moore and "don't remember who" were going at it in the 3rd, Martin put an end to that scrum pretty quick. There are times when you need someone on the ice to do that.

Reactions: Kurtz

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Sure they do, Nylander gets it the worst because he always has the puck, but he's slippery enough to escape.

It's a nice thought, but nobody cares about a fighter at this point. Most teams aren't dressing one and it's easy enough to turtle or just hold on if you really need to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad