Pre-Game Talk: Toronto Maple Leafs vs Vancouver Canucks: Kallgren B2B

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
So when Samsonov was standing on his head and allowing the Leafs to win games they probably shouldn't have, he couldn't go back-to-back.

Kallgren, who can't get his save percentage ABOVE .890% and GAA less than 3.25 is somehow tasked as being, "good" enough to work back-to-back, are you f'ing kidding me?

This is why I had zero hype and anticipation headed into this season because I knew the same bone-headed coaching and management decisions like this would continue.

I don't even feel that Kallgren is an AHL goaltender at this point, he was terrible there too.

The Leafs don't have the offensive firepower this season so far to cover up for piss-poor goaltending like Matthews and Marner covered up for Jack Campbell from December until April.

So, unless Toronto scores 4-5 goals, it's a guaranteed loss.

Reactions: supermann_98

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So when Samsonov was standing on his head and allowing the Leafs to win games they probably shouldn't have, he couldn't go back-to-back.

Kallgren, who can't get his save percentage ABOVE .890% and GAA less than 3.25 is somehow tasked as being, "good" enough to work back-to-back, are you f'ing kidding me?

This is why I had zero hype and anticipation headed into this season because I knew the same bone-headed coaching and management decisions like this would continue.

I don't even feel that Kallgren is an AHL goaltender at this point, he was terrible there too.

The Leafs don't have the offensive firepower this season so far to cover up for piss-poor goaltending like Matthews and Marner covered up for Jack Campbell from December until April.

So, unless Toronto scores 4-5 goals, it's a guaranteed loss.

They had a contract spot open so signed Petruzzelli.

Now the coach refuses to play him.

Realistically, they should have just used the college kids on emergency basis.

GM and Coach are at odds here.

Savvy

Sep 30, 2006
Mississauga
Never really been in the fire Keefe crowd but this goalie decision is truly just flat out dumb, poorly thought out and stubborn. Nothing worse then a coach unwilling to adapt and more and more keefe is showing that

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I'm only surprised with Sandin to be honest. I don't remember what appears to be this lack of awareness in his previous years. In fact i would go so far as to say that was one of his attributes.

I don't think 15 games or whatever it is is enough to tell what a dman is, especially when you say his best attributes are his worst right now. I think he is learning the NHL game and not really getting the role he is used to and trying to find how to make an impact there while applying what makes him great.

Brian Burke likes to say it takes 400 games to know what you have in an NHL dman. That's around what the Leafs gave Dermott before shipping him off. It's also why dmen who looked lost with 100 NHL games get shipped off and become great players.

It's a lot to ask for Toronto, but we need to have patience with our young dmen. Liljegren was a bust not long ago around here.

Reactions: arso40

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

So Keefe is trying to injure our #4 goalie instead of giving Petruzzelli a chance. Is 3 goalies injured not enough for this coach? Is he trying to make it 4?

Does this make sense to anybody? Why even bother signing him?

Well, if our Leafs had won the game last night, my bet is that Petruzzelli would have gotten the start tonight.

Since our Leafs dropped the ball with a loss last night, my guess is that Keefe doesn't want to risk playing a goalie with 0 games of NHL experience. This makes sense to me as a hockey coach.

And, if skaters can play back to back games without a substamtially higher risk of injury, so can NHL goalies. Maybe the NHL players association should strike to end back to back games!!!

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Never really been in the fire Keefe crowd but this goalie decision is truly just flat out dumb, poorly thought out and stubborn. Nothing worse then a coach unwilling to adapt and more and more keefe is showing that
Keefe didn't play Ilya back to back

If the no.3 is getting a back to back, that means the no.4 is more like a no.10 right now and Keefe is making a cry for help.

Doublerum1975

Dec 15, 2019
I like how he changed the lines around in the Carolina game that we won then the next game he went back to the same lines and we lost you think he would have stuck with the winning lines but nope change it back

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Not a fan of starting a goalie for both games of a back-to-back unless it's the starter and a playoff spot essentially depends upon doing so.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Obviously I want the Leafs to win tonight but man even on a backend of a back to back, if they loose oh boy

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's not Kallgren's fault he's here and playing so much in the first couple of months of the season. A lot had to go wrong for him to be in the position he's in. A real combination of bad bets and bad luck.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
It's not Kallgren's fault he's here and playing so much in the first couple of months of the season. A lot had to go wrong for him to be in the position he's in. A real combination of bad bets and bad luck
Murray we had a hunch would be out.

I'm still depressed Marchand deked our no.1s knee off. Out of all the players, it had to be the rat.

• Haha

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
One of your backup goalies missing 4-5 games during the season is not rare at all. Happens to almost every team at some point in the season.

Having your big goalie acquisition (who's very injury-prone) in the offseason get hurt 1 game into the season is a completely unforgivable error from management.

Dubas may have sunk this team yet again cause of his embarrassing knowledge about goalies.

You can't play the bad luck card anymore, Dubas consistently fails the goaltending test every offseason.

Reactions: supermann_98

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
One of your backup goalies missing 4-5 games during the season is not rare at all. Happens to almost every team at some point in the season.

Having your big goalie acquisition (who's very injury-prone) in the offseason get hurt 1 game into the season is a completely unforgivable error from management.

Dubas may have sunk this team yet again cause of his embarrassing knowledge about goalies.

You can't play the bad luck card anymore, Dubas consistently fails the goaltending test every offseason.

Looking at the successful starts Vanecek, Samsonov and Husso have had in New Jersey, Toronto and Detroit, you kind of think he got 50% of the tandem right but didn't have the depth of knowledge to grab one of those guys. All Husso cost was a 3rd rounder to Detroit, so that could have been maneuevered differently. Vanecek is a complete surprise, but those paid to know... should know.

We'll see how Murray performs once he's back, but they literally went for the most toxic asset available and didn't even get 50% retention vs a team with zero leverage.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Looking at the successful starts Vanecek, Samsonov and Husso have had in New Jersey, Toronto and Detroit, you kind of think he got 50% of the tandem right but didn't have the depth of knowledge to grab one of those guys. All Husso cost was a 3rd rounder to Detroit, so that could have been maneuevered differently. Vanecek is a complete surprise, but those paid to know... should know.

We'll see how Murray performs once he's back, but they literally went for the most toxic asset available and didn't even get 50% retention vs a team with zero leverage.
Time will tell if he even got 50% of the tandem right.

Samsonov was very inconsistent in Washington, and I don't think we've seen his bad side yet here in Toronto.

But to be fair I have liked what I've seen from him so far.

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
Last nights hall of fame game really solidified my feelings towards this current version of the leafs. It had me feeling very nostalgic for the teams of old.

Growing up and watching the late 90s and early 2000s teams, they never had a lot of skill. But they had guys who worked their bags off to make up for it. All the way up to the Brian Burke years I was entertained by the team and the on ice product.

This version is by far the hardest to watch and get behind. I've switched over to the Rangers for the past 4 years because I've had a hard time watching an entire leafs game. To see the Rangers rebuild leap over the leafs, with an entertaining, physical, style of hockey has been interesting and disappointing.

But going to a game at MSG this past October and comparing it to a game in Toronto was eye opening...Man there are more issues with this organization that go deeper than the roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gilmour1996

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Do you feel comfortable with any of the defenders right now.

To start Sandin playing on his off-side rather than more experienced defenders?
Giordano, making mistakes, and looking his age.
Holl.
Liljegren is making some gaffs, but like Sandin, he's little more than a rookie.
Rielly, perhaps the softest player on defense.
Brodie is Brodie, always a complementary defender.

Who gets a passing grade as far as playing up to potential?
I thought I was the only person that noticed gio isn’t playing too good recently himself more particularly in the offensive zone

I'm only surprised with Sandin to be honest. I don't remember what appears to be this lack of awareness in his previous years. In fact i would go so far as to say that was one of his attributes.
Play him on his strong side we’re not looking for him to be right defencemen for the future so play him on the side he needs to master

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad