Pre-Game Talk: Toronto Maple Leafs vs Vancouver Canucks: Kallgren B2B

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

So Keefe is trying to injure our #4 goalie instead of giving Petruzzelli a chance. Is 3 goalies injured not enough for this coach? Is he trying to make it 4?

Does this make sense to anybody? Why even bother signing him?

9D chess to set up excuses for extension for himself and his buddy dubas

dubas master plan: our goalies were injured so bad luck this season.

:sarcasm:

The Canucks are 2nd last in the league for goals against, an absolute tirefire. They haven't allowed less than 4 goals in their past 5 games

The offense has a golden chance to get going here

i take this to mean a canuck shutout win in the cards today :laugh:

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Expecting a loss

Matthews and Marner continue to play like glorified fourth liners. Remind me of Frederick gauthier and Dymitro Timashov. Making themselves less and less likeable

Kallgren isn’t an NHL goaltender

We don’t win unless one of those two things fixes itself, and I don’t expect either of those

The Canucks are 2nd last in the league for goals against, an absolute tirefire. They haven't allowed less than 4 goals in their past 5 games

The offense has a golden chance to get going here
If I was a betting man I’d put all my money that leafs won’t score over 3 this game

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Kallgren must have given the greatest goaltending of the Keefe era, because hes never once ran a goalie back to back citing a good game.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Why do we keep going back to Kallgren. The guy is not an NHL goaltender.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I agree with starting Kallgren tonight.

Nationally broadcast home game on a Saturday night. Too much spotlight to bring in the rookie for his debut. It's not really necessary to put him in that position right off the bat.

Ken Dryden wrote about the pressures on goaltenders in his book The Game. He took notes throughout his last NHL season and related a story about a Saturday night game at the Forum when his backup Bunny Laroque was starting. Normally Dryden didn't have too much to say and was deep in thought before the game. The story goes that this night one of the Habs asked flippantly who's starting tonight? One of jokers -- Guy somebody? -- shouts out "Who's starting? Kenny's singing like a bird before the game and Bunny's throwing up in the shitter! Who do you think's starting!"

There is a lot of pressure on goaltenders. I'm anxious to see Petruzelli too, bit I don't mind Keefe picking his spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al14

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
New Lines?

Matthews-Nylander-marner
Robertson-Tavares-Malgin
Bunting-Kampf-Jarnkrok
Kerfoot-Engvall-Aston-Reese

the one game Matthews was dominant was against the Bruins.

And you know when the dominant shifts started? when Matthews was playing away from Marner (including nylander as. his winger on a few shifts)

and you know what was the magical reason? his wingers didn’t lose the puck or board battles in the offensive zone or lose the puck forcing plays in the neutral ice

Reactions: Cleetus

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
the one game Matthews was dominant was against the Bruins.

And you know when the dominant shifts started? when Matthews was playing away from Marner (including nylander as. his winger on a few shifts)

and you know what was the magical reason? his wingers didn’t lose the puck or board battles in the offensive zone or lose the puck forcing plays in the neutral ice
I don’t get why Keefe just doesn’t split Matthews and Marner… It’s clearly not working like it did last year, Matthews seems like he has a little more jump when playing with Nylander this year and it gives the opposing teams two lines to worry about now with Matthews - Nylander and then Tavares - Marner.

Teams easily shut us down and we’re way too predictable 5 on 5 and on the PP.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Most goalies playing their first NHL game have never played a NHL game.

This reminds me of the Fox analyst who said that canadidate X lost due to candidate Y winning.

The world way beyond sports has gone cuckoo.

I'm guessing that perhaps they're referring to the fact he's never even come in in relief and because of that, isn't ready yet for a start. Still an awkward way of. phrasing it.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I agree with starting Kallgren tonight.

Nationally broadcast home game on a Saturday night. Too much spotlight to bring in the rookie for his debut. It's not really necessary to put him in that position right off the bat.

Ken Dryden wrote about the pressures on goaltenders in his book The Game. He took notes throughout his last NHL season and related a story about a Saturday night game at the Forum when his backup Bunny Laroque was starting. Normally Dryden didn't have too much to say and was deep in thought before the game. The story goes that this night one of the Habs asked flippantly who's starting tonight? One of jokers -- Guy somebody? -- shouts out "Who's starting? Kenny's singing like a bird before the game and Bunny's throwing up in the shitter! Who do you think's starting!"

There is a lot of pressure on goaltenders. I'm anxious to see Petruzelli too, bit I don't mind Keefe picking his spot.

Probably should have started Petruzzelli yesterday then.

Kallgren gave up a soft goal that killed us, and hasn't played well at all. Now he is the 4th goalie on the depth chart so this is pretty much what you get at that point, but Petruzzelli should be given a chance. It just should have been yesterday if you don't want his debut to be today.

Oh well, hopefully Kallgren doesn't suck because this should be a game we win.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
HNIC, the week their president lit them up, and after being embarrassed in Montreal.

People expecting the Canucks to be a pushover, are kidding themselves.

HAMMER the hell out of the Canucks moneyline

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022
The flyers for example have talented players who also fight and play feisty... konecky just fought again vs some rookie ott. Like we DEFINITELY aint have dat....... we soft. They hard. Torts hard. We aint. Dubas has done amazingly awful, tender non macho job period

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad